3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 9:24 PM by destroyfx

R7 1700 1728SUS lag when I change vcore. Even a little bit.

destroyfx

Hi, My current motherboard is a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3, BIOS F9d.

I did previously own a Ryzen R7 1700 1706PGT and it was really straightforward to overclock it properly. His default voltage was about 1.19V and OC to 3.9Ghz it was set to 1.38V. But that CPU did have segfault issue (Even on stock settings, I'm a Gentoo user so I was hitting the bug many time a day). So I did RMA it.

I did buy a R3 1200 1725PGT to use temporary until my replacement arrive (My PC is my Work machine/income too). That R3 was like the first R7, no issue for overclocking, normal overclocking behavior.

I got my R7 1700 1728SUS today! So I did what I do to CPU since the 486 era, OC it to a proper higher speed..
      Now the problem I got : The PC is extremely sluggish, laggy and slower when I change the vcore. Even if I don't do any other change (I left the coef to auto), it still do it. Even the BIOS is laggy when I ask it for a vcore bump of 100mV. Disabling the vcore offset and the speed come back up but without vcore increase i'm extremely limited for overclocking, specially that I made an overkill custom loop for that PC. The default vcore for that new CPU is 0.9ishV so I can't even set more that 1.3V on that motherboard as the offset limit is +300mV.

What do you think? CPU problem? or the board is too crappy when the CPU got a better binning and lower default voltage?
      I would ratter replace the motherboard than RMA the CPU again, already paid enough custom extortion fee for that CPU.

• Re: R7 1700 1728SUS lag when I change vcore. Even a little bit.
          destroyfx

I did more test by using my Windows Overclock test partition.

Overclocking and increasing the vcore from the AMD Master tool work fine, I can achieve a stable overclock to 4Ghz at 1.26ishV (not bad for a R7 1700).

When I do set any vcore offset in the BIOS, back on Windows in hwinfo64, I get reading of a fix 1.6Ghz CPU clock and a fix 1.0V vcore.

Can it be possible that the Ryzen have a default fail safe mode when the board send him invalid parameter?

I think my CPU default voltage is too low for that el cheapo board (better binning because of segfault RMA = lower operating voltage). and the BIOS vcore offset ask something impossible to the CPU.

Now that I was able to OC the CPU properly on Windows, I can conclude that it's, again, another beautiful Board/BIOS issue.