4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 3:12 PM by vink

May I connect a AM3  FX AMD HDD with Windows7 64 bit system to a AM4 Ryzen PC?

vink

I am using an ASUS Sabertooth MB FX8370 Proc, SSD 256Gb samsung ASUS GEFORCE GTX770 Graphic, Windows 7 64 bit & Linux Ubuntu in dual boot.

I need to know if I can migrate my current SSD drive straight to a new AM4 Ryzen PC hardware, as it is usual with AMD platforms? Thank you for your help!

• Re:  May I connect a AM3  FX AMD HDD with Windows7 64 bit system to a AM4 Ryzen PC?
          black_zion

SSD yes, but you need a fresh install of Windows, plus you're going to need the Zeffy Patch as Microsoft cut off updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 for users of Ryzen.

Unofficial Patch Unblocks Windows 7 and 8.1 Updates for Kaby Lake, Ryzen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re:  May I connect a AM3  FX AMD HDD with Windows7 64 bit system to a AM4 Ryzen PC?
              vink

Hello black_zion, Thanks for your very useful reply! When you advise "need a fresh install of Windows" do you mean reinstalling the OS over the existing installation,

or formatting the SSD as a new system on the AM3 FX socket  PLUS the Zeffy patch, and then, migrating directly to the Ryzen PC? Is this because the Zeffy patch needs an OS without SP patches? Otherwise if I would migrate with Windows 10 64 bit SSD's , then the Ryzen based PC would shake hands without a glitch?

Do you think I could install windows 10 64bit on the above config (AM3 FX 8370, ASUS Sabertooth), please? RAMs are DDR3 of course. Thanks!

black_zion

First you need to make sure your new board has drivers for Windows 7 (many do not), and then if there are any special requirements, such as having to build a custom Windows installation file with the required drivers. Formatting isn't necessary, just do a clean (not an upgrade) installation of Windows 7 and the Users, Program Files, and WIndows folders will be moved to a Windows.old folder. The Zeffy patch is installed afterwards. You should be able to install Windows 10 without issues on your current machine (it still accepts Windows 7 and 8.1 licenses by the way, so you can just download the ISO from Microsoft and burn your own DVD), but after you move to Ryzen you would need to do a Refresh (or Reset) My PC.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      vink

Hello black_zion, I am greatful to you for all these responses that allows to think much clearer about OS choices and compromises! I have another query, please, a Linux (Ubuntu style) OS installation mono boot without Windows on the (AM3 FX 8370, ASUS Sabertooth) config would allow probably a straight migration to a new Ryzen PC? Then, I could use VirtualBox in Linux for a Windows system copied from the old AM3 system? Is this the most correct thing to do with a AMD config, please?  May be in this last OS strategy I should stay with my current PC as listed above?! Thanks again for your insight, black_zion!