5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2017 12:03 PM by black_zion

When will price and availability become normal for RX 5xx series?

ringo100

Rumors was in september but I don t see any improvement...

• Re: When will price and availability become normal for RX 5xx series?
          black_zion

Well here's the thing: Cryptocurrency miners are hogging all the cards, but with China killing a Bitcoin exchange and with North Korea openly attacking cryptocurrency exchanges who knows when that market will implode in flames (not soon enough). Also, AMD is readying Vega 11 for production which will replace RX 400-500 series, so production of the RX 500 series is decreasing. Finally, memory manufacturers are cutting VRAM production to focus on other memory types.

So all that means that nobody knows.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              ringo100

I sold my RX 480 in June for a mining price and bought 7770 as a short time replacement card. I was thinking to buy some RX 580 in this month but everything is overpriced. I will not buy Nvidia because I have freesync monitor. I am hoping situation will become better before Amazon black friday otherwise I don`t know what to do. Vega 11 will be relased next year?

black_zion

I highly doubt it, getting multiple GPUs fabricated, packaged, sent to the board partners, and on the shelves in two months is a tall order, especially with Raja Koduri taking a break until December for some family time, so 2018 seems more likely. Vega 11 is rumored to all ship with HBM2 (unconfirmed and probably wishful thinking by miners), but even GDDR5 is facing a shortage which has already caused existing nVidia cards to increase in price by 10%. AMD's in a very bad position, and the lack of direct competition puts all consumers in a very bad position. And to top it all off, with the continued shrinkage of Radeon market share, it makes it less likely game developers will take advantage of touted Vega performance features, such as rapid packed math.

ringo100

Ufff, what do you think will Vega 11 be relased in early 2018 or much later?

black_zion

1Q 2018 seems very likely considering the midrange comprises the bulk of the market, and because nVidia has Volta ready for the consumer market, they're just delaying it because there is no competition from AMD (they're readying a 1070Ti to counter Vega 56, and if it has as much of a performance boost over the 1070 as the 1080Ti does against the 1080 then AMDs in deep.) I imagine AMD wants to get on a 1Q midrange and low end of current generation and 3Q high end of next generation release cycle as it'd give time for prices to settle and stock to accumulate for the two most valuable times of the year with their leapfrogging design teams.

The wild card is the cryptocurrency market. Without that Vega would be significantly cheaper than nVidia options, making them much more enticing buys, with it though, especially if even the yet to be named successor to the RX 580 uses HBM vs GDDR5, the crisis will continue.