7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 3:00 PM by ajlueke

How to buy a Vega 56/64

darkcyd

I have been an AMD user for almost 20 years now. I've always purchased them as I saw them as essential to maintaining a fair market against Intel. I've purchased over 10 Athlon/AMD computers myself and built no less than 20 systems for friends and family with no complaints. This at time hasn't been easy. The first athlons didn't like cheap memory. Frequently the TDP to performance ratio was out of step with other offerings but I stuck with it for the greater good.

I feel currently though AMD is positioning itself with the miners and leaving the standard computer user out in the cold. Let me be more specific, the market is doing this. I am ready to pull the trigger on another new system. Ryzen is out. I just had to wait for Vega but I'm still waiting for Vega and if the tech news is right, I could be waiting for vega for months. I am happy AMD is selling more cards to miners but I am not happy enough to pay an extra $2-300 for a super high TDP card vs the competition. I would have already gone with the competition if I hadn't invested over 1k in a 4k freesync monitor and I'm on the fence in turning that into a new TV and going gsync.

So, to my question. Is anybody out there able to give some advice on how to get a Vega card without the huge markup? If you were in the same situation, what to do if you weren't willing to wait? Last, we can theorize on what could have been done to avoid this. I think bundled only cards would have avoided the run by miners.

Just like in relationships, I feel like at some point you realize separation is going to be unavoidable. Thanks for all the good times.

• Re: How to buy a Vega 56/64
          cavemanthe0ne

Newegg has them in stock with the Radeon Pack deals currently for the $700 (or... $550 ish for vega 56) price point. Which, if you were going to buy the included games on release anyway, isn't too bad. Though if not, well it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it. All the single cards are sold out yet.

The good(?) news though is both the black and silver versions of Vega 64 are the same price so you can get the limited edition one for the same as the stock one.

zealotki11er

You just have to wait. It not all bad news. You probably better off getting AIB card for better thermals.

ajlueke

The best deal available currently is the XFX Vega 64 at best buy for $649.  That model still includes Prey and Wolfenstein with the purchase, so it could be worth it if you plan to buy those games anyway.

darkcyd

I think the problem is consumer login which gsync and to a lesser degree freesync cause in efforts to reduce tearing/input lag. After much deliberation I've decided the only real way to absolve me of this problem is to buy a monitor that will push at least 144hz and absolve me of this lockin problem and until recently that would have been impossible at the size I require.

In comes the Samsung C49HG90 which is an absolute beast of a monitor at near 4k 49" with 1 ms response time and 144hz refresh. The price tag? lets not talk about the price tag.

Yes, I'd rather use my current 40" with freesync and a nice new AMD Vega instead of paying $1600 for a new monitor but I am not going to be in a perpetual bidding war with the miners paying a $200 premium over MSRP every time I want a new video card.

Dead pixel lottery here I come.

Last, thank all of you for your informative responses.

ajlueke

Actually, you can pick up the Vega 56 at Best Buy for a mere $100 over MSRP ($499).  Not the best price for sure, but you still get Wolfenstein II and Prey for free.

whiskey-foxtrot

I actually liked that monitor (C49HG90) - it's the first Freesync 2 beast at that size! I had better luck with the second delivery; no dead pixels, but definitely no bleeds. The first one had horrible bleeds at the bottom corners. I'm actually not using it because I needed more vertical space than the 1080 it provides. For professional pixel perfect photo/video editing this monitor is definitely a no-go due to it's low pixel-pitch. It didn't look too bad for gaming, but with that aspect ratio (and mediocre graphics), you end up at either a 21:9 or 16:9 ratio - hello black bars! I'm sure eventually most games will end up supporting this 32:9 ratio. I ended up with a few of those monitor deals from the Radeon packs - by far a better solution, and for graphics/video editing I revert to my true 4K monitor, my Dell UP3216Q's.