8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2017 11:03 AM by serinfbco

S7150x2 Horizon View - mxGPU consume all host available CPU

serinfbco

Hello community. I have already open a support case for this but I did not receive valuable help so far. So I just want to know if you see the same behavior.

The problem is simple: a VM with mxGPU use 30% of vCPU when user do nothing. The problem is with either pcoip or VmWare Blast and affect obviously all tasks on that VM. Normally with software 3D or NVidia, we got around 0% of vCPU usage when nothing change on the screen. With a stress test (full screen video plackback) the cpu usage stay around 30%, this is normal. Imagine a classroom of 32 students doing nothing, we got an CPU alarm from the ESX host going crazy at 95%.

Our setup is a POC under VmWare Horizon and we got awful performances results so far with s7150x2 if we compare with NVidia Grid K1 that we are using in production since 2 years with great results. You know Nvidia new licensing model...

Environment:

Horizon 7.0.1

Esxi 6.0 U2

Dell PowerEdge R730 (dual CPU - total of 16 cores 2.4Ghz, 256Go RAM)

AMD VIB driver for Esxi 6.0: version 1.0

AMD mxGPU driver Windows 7 x64 : version 17.5.2

• Re: S7150x2 Horizon View - mxGPU consume all host available CPU
          amdmatt

Are you getting 30% CPU usage, even when you have no video application playing, or even open on the system. The system is completely idle with no applications running, and you have 30% CPU usage?

serinfbco

30% CPU usage when the user is logged and do nothing: no application playing or mouse moving. Just watch the Windows desktop... So the VM is idle with a VMware View session active. If there is no VMware View session active the CPU is 0-1%.

But we discovered this happen only under Windows 7. With Windows 10 it's the normal behavior around 1% CPU usage when the user do nothing. Seems a bug between AMD mxgpu drivers and VMware View Agent under Windows 7. We have a support case open on this. It is just surprising that no one else seen this before. And Windows 7 is officialy supported...

We tested with the lastest VMware View agent 7.3 and the problem still there.

amdmatt

I'm monitoring your support case as well.

I'll share this feedback with the team and see if we can provide you with any further troubleshooting suggestions. Appreciate your patience.

kiarash

Hi,

Seeing a 30% CPU usage while the users aren't active is expected. The S7150x2 doesn't support video encode/decode offload. Meaning that the desktop has to be encoded with the CPU for the remote client.

What's most likely happening is on Windows 7, when no user is on the VM, it still renders the desktop, and thus encodes it. But on Windows 10, with no users, it doesn't render it. This isn't something we have control over, as it falls to the OS/Remote client.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        serinfbco

This is not correct... As I wrote the problem happens only in Windows 7 when the user is logged in. So the session is active in the VM but the user does nothing. The video encode/decode is done by the CPU but when the user do nothing (no mouse moving or application playing) the CPU is around 0-1% normally. Under Windows 7 the CPU is ALWAYS around 30%. This happen ONLY with mxGPU driver installed in the VM.

kiarash

If it only happens when our driver is loaded, then it is expected.

Without the mxGPU driver on in the VM, there's no display output from our card. So the rendering device is the emulated display, which may have a lower resolution/pixel format quality, which requires less CPU usage to encode.

You need to check what process in Windows is actually consuming that much of the CPU. If its something like VMBlastW.exe, then it is the encoder using the CPU.

I'm not sure how you see 0-1% usage on Windows 10. The lowest I'm seeing is around 5-10 percent with a 4 vCPU VM. The encoding client may be able to detect no display change to lower CPU use on Windows 10, but I don't see this behavior. 

serinfbco

What we see is the CPU usage at 30% only with AMD mxGPU Under Windows 7. It is huge when the user do nothing!

This doesn't happen with no 3D card or Under Windows 10. Can't understand the 30% could be normal. This means we can't put more than 25 VM on a powerfull server with 16 cores and 256Gb of ram... Pretty expensive!

with mxGPU Under Windows7 (no activity):

with mxGPU Under Windows 10 (no activity):

with vSGA Under Windows 7 (no 3D card - no activity):