10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2017 10:49 AM by srb151

What is the proper memory Configuration for a new 1700X Ryzen CPU  ?

r0bert0

AMD Site lists the foll memory specs:

Max System Memory Speed

2667MHz

System Memory Type

DDR4

Memory Channels

However Motherboard manufacturers such as Overview for X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

Lists memory supported as :

• Supports DDR4-3200+(OC) Memory

My question is should i buy only 2666 MHz since that is the max supported processor speed?

OR

Should i buy the 3000 MHz memory, how would i benefit ? does the FSB of the MB support a faster speed thereby faster operation even though the CPU max is 2666 ?

Thanks for your help.

• Re: What is the proper memory Configuration for a new 1700X Ryzen CPU  ?
          srb151

I have the same CPU with a Gigabyte X370 K7 motherboard.  It's not so simple with Ryzen.   The memory controller is built into the

processor, and can be very, very, picky about what memory.    I had some Corsair LPX memory that Gigabyte certified for the board.

It turns out that Corsair makes 2 versions (at least) with the SAME part number.  The older one had Hynix memory, and would only go

to 2933 no matter what I set it at.  The second version had Samsung chips, and that's what was validated to run at 3200.  Even with that,

my memory controller in the processor was a little weak, and I still had to wait for a later bios for mine to even boot.

That being said, the best thing you can do is look for memory that has been tested and labeled specifically for Ryzen.  G-skill and a few

others actually have separate Ryzen part number memory modules.  If going of the QVL (i.e. tested and approved) memory list, look for

Samsung B die memory chips, and single rank have the best luck.  2 slots have an easier time to overclock than all 4 slots filled.  If using all

4 slots, try to stick with single rank memory.

As to speed.   Some people with the right memory chips on the gigabyte boards have hit 3600, but it is massively expensive and still a bit hit or miss.

Ryzen processors run the Infinity fabric interconnects at the same speed as the ram clock, so it is best to try to get 3000 or 3200 speed ram and it

will make a noticeable difference and well worth it.   Much faster than 2133.   After 3200, especially after considering the price, you get smaller increases

in speed and is not really worth it. 

BTW, you didn't mention how much memory you need.  I'm running 2 x 16 dual rank for a total of 32gb, but that is for some video work I hobby around with.

For general use, business, and gaming, 16 gb should be more than enough and is somewhat future proof, as most reviews I read before I built my wife's system found

no difference between 8 and 16 gb in the vast majority of games (if not all  of them that I saw tested).,  Photo video, and a few other niche cases (which you'll know if you're

running them), will benefit from more memory.  2x8 single rank would be what you're  looking for.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ambrose

Hello SRB,

Very nice info you give there, what is your take on the memory if a person intends to watch 4K video? You mentioned video work, are you doing any 4K? If so does the extra memory play a factor for this?

Cheers, Ambrose

srb151

HI, and thank you.  As far as watching, I really had not thought about it much.  Now that you mentioned it, I would think that, as with gaming, 8GB of

ram would be fine for viewing 4k videos.   If you think about it, for watching, unlike editing, you're loading the data from your network connection (or

drive), processing it, and you're done.   8GB should be more than enough, as games render fine as well.  In addition, you really only need 4GB of

VRAM on your graphics card to process 4k games (for 90%+ of the games out there).   Editing needs much, much more storage for fast access to

clips and image data, and can be done with 16gb (although that's the bare minimum for editing).

hardcoregames™

save your money and get 8 sticks of DDR4-2133 and watch the machine run fast

_blackbishop_

Long story short - if you want speed and trouble free installation buy sticks based on samsung b-die chips.

Check this link for what is guaranteed to be b-die:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Any manufacturer, they don't have to be listed in QVL for your mobo.

They are not cheap though.

If you want to save some $$$ and are satisfied with 2933 max go buy corsair LPX.

AMD mem speed table is not much relevant now - you can 3466 and tight timings with 4 sticks or RAM if you have decent motherboard (BIOS with necessary options), proper RAM and some knowledge how to OC memory.