1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 11, 2017 1:26 PM by banjoplayingidiot

AMD Radeon 56 Frame Rate and Clock Drop to half after extended play in overwatch its not temperature related. Normal, driver bug or faulty?

bladefire999

SO I just bought my shiny new Vega 56, install it and start up overwatch, I'm excited! I set the settings to max on my ultra-wide 1440p monitor and it's pinning the frame rate at 100, so far so good! Then after about an hour I notice that the flame rate is dropping sometimes, oh I thought just too much going on, so I go from epic to ultra, then high, medium, and now I'm at low! and it's still dropping at some scenes that's odd. When I say dropping I mean from 100 to 30, not just a small amount. I thought my PSU is a bit old(It was still a good Corsair 650W one so it shouldn't have been) so I buy a Corsair 850W start up overwatch, now it's all good pinning 100fps on epic again, then after an hour, it happens again....

Now it's time to investigate so I start up wattman and get the graph going, and I notice something interesting; in the beginning the clock speed and GPU usage are flat linning at max clock and 100 percent GPU usage, but when the framerate drops happen the GPU usage and clock speed are jumping all over the place, the temperature never goes over 75 either and the fan is on max. This seems to be only in overwatch because if I run heavan benchmark straight after I get the usual score, but it might be that I haven't run it long. If I turn my PC off and on the issue usually goes away. This issue happened when not overclocked, then I overclocked a tiny bit to see if it would change anything but its much the same.

This issue happened when not overclocked, then I overclocked a tiny bit to see if it would change anything but its much the same. I did notice however that stock it has a severe memory bottleneck as it would drop frames and freeze a lot, but overclocked the issue mostly goes away. That is until it goes into spaz mode and can't even run games at low settings because the clock is 800mhz.

I will provide the charts later when I get home.

Faulty or Vega 56 driver/hardware issue?