20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2018 10:47 AM by ajlueke

Molten Monolith

ajlueke

Description

My monolith rig has been upgraded for desktop use, while I also work on my living room solution.  This is my first attempt at a custom liquid cooling solution, but it seemed to be the most stable for RX Vega based graphics cards.

Specifications

CPURyzen R7 1800X at 4.00GHz (P0 overclock)
      CoolerEKWB based custom loop
      MotherboardASRock 370x Fata1ty Professional Gaming
      MemoryCorsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4C3200C14C (3200 MHz CL14)
      GraphicsGigabyte RX Vega Air (EKWB water block and backplate)
      Disc Drive 1Samsung 960 Evo (1TB)
      Disc Drive 2Samsung 830 (250GB)
      Disc Drive 3Wester Digital Green (3 TB)
      PSUCorsair AX860
      CaseABS Canyon 695 (Modded)
      MonitorAcer XF270HU

My trials with the original Monolith are chronicled here.  Monolith

After upgrading to an RX Vega, I was having a tough time getting the card to pass the Time Spy stability test using the standard air cooler.  My temps were pushing into the 70C range easily and the throttling of the clock speeds to compensate seems to lead to a few dropped frames.

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 1800X,ASRock X370 Professional Gaming

Online research seemed to indicate that water cooling Vega would yield superior results, and due to the neat builds I've seen on this community, I decided to give it a try. 

Using the existing ABS Canyon case I had, and EKWB parts (what my local shop stocks) I have the final product below.

DSC04301.JPG

I opted to go for a black/nickel aesthetic.   I had two available 5.25" bays in the upper part of the case. so I went with the EK-DBAY D5 Pump with integrated reservoir.  My case is much taller than it is wide, so there wasn't really room for a separate standing reservoir.  From there, the loop goes Pump/CPU Block/CE 140 radiator/GPU/CE 280 Radiator/Pump.

I had to remove the HDD backplates from the lower section to make room for the GPU radiator.  I reinstalled one of the HDD backplates above the PSU.  I also picked up several Noctua NF-A14 industrial fans to push air over the radiators.  I cut a hole in the bottom of the case and added a radiator mount to expel the hot air from the GPU.  I also added a clear side panel, which is plastic right now, but I many try to get some tempered glass in the future.

I have a shot of the added radiator mount below.  Not the best quality, but it gets the idea across.  I'll add a picture of the closed up case as well.

DSC04303.JPG

I checked the temps on my Ryzen CPU using my previous cooler, the Noctua NH-D15.  Running the CPU-Z stress test and monitoring the temps in Ryzen master, my CPU capped off at 65C at 4 GHZ.  Under the same conditions using the EKWB Supremacy EVO, the temps capped at 58C!  Not too shabby.  I decided to rerun the Time Spy stress test with the new setup changing the Wattman settings on the Vega to 50% power limit increase and 1650 Mhz on the clock and 1100 Mhz on the RAM.

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 1800X,ASRock X370 Professional Gaming

Massive improvement!  I also gave Time Spy a run through as well.

More to come soon, but the Vega GPU temps aren't climbing above 50C right now.  All in all things are looking pretty solid.

• Re: Molten Monolith
          rengy

how are the temps?, looks too cramped
          Great build, looks like you put a lot of work in that case ^_^

ajlueke

The temps are great actually.  When running CPU-Z in full "stress test" the CPU maxes out at 58C per Ryzen Master.  That is 7C cooler than the same test using my Noctua NH-D15.  The Vega GPU consistently runs below 30C when idle, and below 50C when stressed.

As whiskey-foxtrot mentioned, I have flipped around one of the intake fans (with the CE 140) which give less the optimal airflow over the motherboard components and DRAM.  Anyone know a good utility for measuring those during operation?

If the passive components are getting hot, I have the option of installing the CPU radiator outside of the case behind the exhaust fan.  Not sure if that is necessary or not.

daquteness

HWMonitor should give you all the info you need. Or the trial version of Aida64, very comprehensive and great for stress testing but it's not free, whereas the other one is.

I wouldn't be worried about board temps to be honest, only the 960 PRO you need to keep an eye out for to avoid throttling but you should be fine.

Otherwise, MOSFets can take up to 135C, and even with bad airflow you wouldn't need to worry about them reaching, say 60C, and you have a motherboard with a VERY good VRM, was actually my initial choice but went with CH6 in the end (I have a bit of an ASUS bias here I have to admin). The southbridge can get a bit warm especially if you have an M.2 drive, but as long as there is air coming in and out the case you're good. It does look like that bottom rad is choked though... If you're good with a dremel you could solve all your issues by pulling air in through the bottom like in my case and have it go PAST the shroud.

Here's a video to give you an idea what to do with the lower compartment of the case: https://youtu.be/Yu6u69-5O8U?t=83 Nevermind the price tag difference but the arrangement might be relevant.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    ajlueke

Here are the GPU temps after running the Gears 4 benchmark for a considerable period of time.  Near 100% GPU activity for most of the run.

Wattman.PNG

daquteness

That is one hunk of a build, monolith indeed! No frills, no nonsense black tubing, straight-to-the-point kind of build, there for one reason only, to shred frames.

A bit of cable management, some tidying up and maybe giving those radiators a make-over to get them to look the same will make this into a great almost all-black build.

If you want, I can help you with sleeved extension cables for the Vega and 24-pin, just let me know what colour (I would go for all black or 3 black/ 1red but it's your choice) and I'll do them for you I love sleeving and it's a shame to see a nice build with those husky brutes of pcie cables. I have plenty of supplies I got from a few months back so really there's no expense involved...

ajlueke

Thanks!  I can post a pick with the cover back on it, but most of the cable mess up near the PSU and pump is actually hidden pretty nicely.  I was going for a more industrial look with this build, but I see your point.  The radiators are a lighter shade of black than the rest of the case.  I added nickel accents to go with the RAM and red fluid due to the small amounts of red on the motherboard.  I would like to resleeve the case power, LED cables, and haven't done it before.  A red stripe in the GPU/24 Pin cables wouldn't be bad either.

daquteness

Well, I wasn't joking when I said I can make you a set of sleeved cables, just let me know and I'll get going and send you a few extensions in a week or so to tidy up that beast

Note this if you DO want to re-sleeve everything yourself: DO NOT change the cable arrangement from PSU to connector, even if if looks like a wire is simply doubled up on the same corresponding pins. This is VERY important, especially on power-hungry cards like Vega, as it prevents current ripple and stabilizes the voltage rail. Also, going for a single cable instead of doubled scheme could trigger the PSU protections. It can be fun, but extremely frustrating and quickly become expensive if you don't have all the tools. Happy to give pointers about supplies, paracord/MDPC sleeving type, ask away

whiskey-foxtrot

Congratulations on your first custom loop! Is the radiator on the CPU blowing air in or out the front?

rengy the beauty of a custom loop is the ability to use it in tight spaces; since you're not relying as much on airflow throughout the case, but more on your radiator placement (intake/exhaust). As long as the rads are not pushing hot air into the case, it can be quite effective (and silent).

ajlueke

Some updates.

The temps really are amazing with the custom loop.  Hardware monitor image attached while running some benches.  I rarely see the GPU reach even 40C in this setup.

HWInfo.PNG

Currently I have the GPU set at 1702 MHz in P7 and P6 at 1652MHz.  Managed to break 8000 in Time Spy.

ajlueke

I think this is where I'm going to leave my setup for now.  I have added a comparison with the original Fury X build to the new liquid cooled Vega build in Firestrike.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/13635000/fs/13242517#

darkwolfca

very nice setup and custom loop looks great

ajlueke

Thanks!  It is my first time build a custom loop, or cutting into a case to mod it for liquid cooling.  I'm really happy with how it turned out.  Now I just need a fresh coat of paint on the rads and perhaps some re-sleeving as well.

daquteness

Can't wait until I lay into my case big time too! I have to say though, Steve Burke would probably be super proud of your rig No-nonsense, straight-to-the-point cooling beast!

ajlueke

Thanks!

You were right about it being "monolithic" in more than just the name.  With the EKWB components and coolant installed, along with the aluminum construction the case is quite heavy.  I'll have to set it on a scale to see what it weighs in at.

ajlueke

Just a few more updates.  I have the side panel added in, currently it is acrylic, but I will have a sheet of tempered glass made for it.

I added a ball valve below the GPU, to easily drain the coolant when needed.  I also added aluminum spacers to the feet of the case.  The case ultimately stood too low to the ground to effectively exhaust out of the GPU radiator I added, especially on carpet. 

DSC04311.JPG

daquteness

Damn... that actually looks like a hulking slab, Space Odyssey much? =)) Really cool build, definitely looks apart from other builds! And I like me some understated looks and no-nonsense approach Any future mods you have in mind?

darkwolfca

looking sweet nice and clean build

kxuping

awesome build. After watching Gamer Nexus videos, you can flash the water bios to push the card as you are using water cooling anyway.

ajlueke

What the heck?  Lian-Li just released a case that essentially incorporates the identical mods that I already made!  Damn you Lian-Li!

http://www.lian-li.com/pc-v3000/?preview=true