morritt

AMD Graphics Card

> AMD Vega 64

Desktop or Laptop System

> Desktop

Operating System

> Windows 10 64bit

Driver version installed

> Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.9.1-Sep7 (tried third on release)

> Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.8.2-Win10-64Bit-Aug24 (tried first)

> Win10-64Bit-Crimson-ReLive-Beta-Blockchain-Workloads-Aug23 (tried because why the hell not)

> Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.8.1-Win10-64Bit-Aug18 (tried second)

Display Devices

> ViewSonic VX2263SMHL 1920*1080 @64Hz (HDMI to HDMI)

Motherboard + Bios Revision

> Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (not the UEFI version), version F7a (the beta one from 2014)

CPU/APU

> AMD FX-8320

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

> Novatech Power Station 600w (also have Corsair CS650M & CS750m I can try)

RAM

> 16GB DDR3

Describe your issue:

Driver installation fails, Windows BSOD and shows error message "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED in atikmdag.sys".

Video of install process: https://youtu.be/b3pFni-ajCM

I have tried the different installs as listed in the "Driver version installed" section, along with the auto detect.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, updated my BIOS from F6 to F7a, nothing seems to work.  After scouring the internet, it seems I'm not the only one having these kinds of issues, my MOBO is PCI-E 2.0 which seems to be a common issue.  I have tried Windows safe mode, uninstalling all the drivers, updating BIOS (to the beta version for my MOBO), I even booted into an old Windows 8.1 install (same PC) and tried that, same error.

Right now I have a £500 paper weight on my desk, I can put my old GTX 770 in and it just works.

• Re: AMD Vega 64 BSOD on Driver Installation
          frough

I am also having this issue with XFX Vega 64 GPU and EVGA X58 FTW3 Mobo.  I have also done driver cleaners third party and AMD.  I also tried installing the latest 17.9.1 drivers under my old 390 and then swapped hardware and was instantly greeted by a BSOD.  I tried installing 17.8.2, but my hardware was not found in that driver.

morritt

I think that's PCI-E 2.0 as well right?  I don't know what else I can do to test this, trued installing, uninstalling, using DDU to remove any old drivers, disabling driver signature enforcement in safe mode...

frough

That is correct, it's PCI-E 2.0.  I took the card and plugged it into my wife's computer which is an Asus board with PCI-E 3.0 and the drivers installed just fine.  I submitted an issue with AMD at this location: http://www.amd.com/report .  It may be helpful for anyone else with this issue to submit a report as well.  This will help them identify the issue and hopefully prioritize it.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      morritt

Yep, I submitted my report, but thanks for verifying that the card works on PCI-E 3.0, does seem to point a finger.

I don't have a newer mobo, and I don't want to shell out for a new one, since mine isn't all that bad, and right now it's not worth upgrading my mobo/processor/ram just to fix this.  So I'm returning the card, unless something changes in the next few days I'm gonna have to go with an NVIDIA 1080ti as I've had a couple on NVIDIA cards before and never had this kind of issue, had the RX nearly 2 weeks and it's just been a paper weight, and wasted several nights just trying to poke it into life.

1 of 1 people found this helpful