Latest reply on Sep 17, 2017 by morritt

AMD Graphics Card

> AMD Vega 64

Desktop or Laptop System

> Desktop

Operating System

> Windows 10 64bit

Driver version installed

> Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.9.1-Sep7 (tried third on release)

> Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.8.2-Win10-64Bit-Aug24 (tried first)

> Win10-64Bit-Crimson-ReLive-Beta-Blockchain-Workloads-Aug23 (tried because why the hell not)

> Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.8.1-Win10-64Bit-Aug18 (tried second)

Display Devices

> ViewSonic VX2263SMHL 1920*1080 @64Hz (HDMI to HDMI)

Motherboard + Bios Revision

> Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (not the UEFI version), version F7a (the beta one from 2014)

CPU/APU

> AMD FX-8320

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

> Novatech Power Station 600w (also have Corsair CS650M & CS750m I can try)

RAM

> 16GB DDR3

Describe your issue:

Driver installation fails, Windows BSOD and shows error message "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED in atikmdag.sys".

Video of install process: https://youtu.be/b3pFni-ajCM

I have tried the different installs as listed in the "Driver version installed" section, along with the auto detect.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, updated my BIOS from F6 to F7a, nothing seems to work.  After scouring the internet, it seems I'm not the only one having these kinds of issues, my MOBO is PCI-E 2.0 which seems to be a common issue.  I have tried Windows safe mode, uninstalling all the drivers, updating BIOS (to the beta version for my MOBO), I even booted into an old Windows 8.1 install (same PC) and tried that, same error.

Right now I have a £500 paper weight on my desk, I can put my old GTX 770 in and it just works.

Outcomes