7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2017 10:30 AM by wth

I have a FX-8350 and seem to have an over heating problem.

jsimons59

When the system first turns on and at idle (turbo disenabled, with turbo enable, temp. was 7-9C higher) the temp. starts at around 37-38C and rises to 41-43C. The entire time the system is running, it smells like something is over heating or burning. When the reset is pressed, it comes back with a temp. of 50-51C and slowly drops to 41-43C. I'm using the stock cooler that came with it, I've reinstalled the cooler with no changes. I purchased a GAMMAXX 400 and was wondering if it might do a better job cooling the CPU before I do some damage to it.... So far, everything has been at idle, don't have the OS installed yet....

• Re: I have a FX-8350 and seem to have an over heating problem.
          hardcoregames™

by a tube of artic MX-4 and clean up the existing cooler, then apply a tiny amount of MX-4 and your CPU should be good as new

jsimons59

Hi blutlinde,

This is a brand new system, I just put it together a week ago. I have tried reinstalling the cooler using Artic Silver thermal paste, it dropped the temperature a couple of degrees, but still seemed a little high considering it was idle. When I reinstalled the heat sink, I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and dried with canned air before reinstalling.  At the moment, this is my build:

AMD FX-8350 AM+ CPU

MSI 970A Gaming Pro CARBON Mother Board

Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM x2

NVidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB Graphics Adapter (soon to be replaced with GTX 1070/1080)

Corsair 750 80+ Power Supply

SSD 250 GB HDD x2

ASUS DVD/CD Drive

I have 4 systems with AMD Athlon CPU's and 2 with AMD Phenom CPU's and a couple with Intel Core I processors, I've never seen the temp. spike when I press reset on any of my other systems or any system I've worked on in the past! I've also a little concerned for the burning smell whenever the system is on. I would really like to resolve this, one of the primary reasons I bought this processor and MB combo was the option to over clock if I wanted to.

wth

Just wondering what case and mother board u have.8350''s tend to run hot if u don't have good air flow.Would also check the thermal paste.

blutlinde

Hello all,

actually i have the same problems with this cpu i have a Asus Gaming Pro Aura Mainboard, i think the bios version is 9xxx something. the cpu fx8350 was so overheated and completely freezed the system so i couldn´t update the bios version. i tried to run the fx8350 with a Alpenföhn Brocken cpu cooler but the systems won´t start. after i exchanged the cooler and take the amd cooler on it, the system starts but after a while it getting so over heated that it shutted down.

here are my system:

AMD FX8350 AM3+

Asus Gaming Pro Aura 970 Mother Board

Patriot 8GB DDR3 RAM

Asus Radeon RX460 4GB

Power Supply be quiet! BN242 System Power 8 80+ PC ATX 600W

SSD 250 GB Harddrive

Asus Blue Ray Burner

I also changed the 8cores into 4cores over bios just to make sure its not overheating, but i failed.

is it better to put a 1000watt powersupply and a watercooling into the computer? or what can i do to stop the overheating?

Thank you

Bye bye

Mariella

jsimons59

Hi wth,

I'm using a Corsair SPEC-01 (CARBIDE Series) case and a MSI 970A Gaming Pro Mother Board. The case has space for 5 fans, I have 4 installed; 2 in front blowing in and 2 on top blowing out. The cpu sits directly below the 2 exhaust fans. As for thermal paste, I used Artic Silver. I have a GAMMAXX 400 cooler, it's a lot beefier was going to see if that would make a difference....

Thanks,

Jerry