9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 10:41 AM by red5

Influencers and lack of influence

georgefern

Being a proud AMD Red Team member, I have always liked what is available in the low cost high-

performance offerings from AMD, also I have followed many of the RTP members and liked the values

they have shared as representatives of this community. I too have had the opportunity to

pay-it-forward with community members and love the positivity that is shared by all.

I have been looking at some of these ‘influencers’ that the AMD Twitch channel has been hosting and

have been less than influenced by them.

After watching streamers like Patty, DanielTheDemon, wgrates, DejavuDarkmist and a few others, they

are not the most knowledgeable when it comes to AMD products they are representing. Almost all of

the influencers do not use AMD products, in fact one even called the RX products and drivers crap

on their stream that was being hosted by AMD  Twitch channel.

The AMDRTP Stream team are the most knowledgeable about who AMD is, what products they sell and how

they perform.

This past weekend I had the displeasure to watch the stream from PAXWest and was extremely

disappointed to see League of Legends and Overwatch being the main games that were streamed with

the select streamers that AMD invited to their booth to stream.

None of those streamers had any idea of the products they were using nor seemed interested in AMD,

they seemed to use AMD to promote themselves. For them to be playing on Quake Champions themed rigs

and not play the game in which Bethesda and AMD are in partnership with was an utter

disappointment. Again, all of the influencers were not in it for the passion of a company to thrive

with low cost high-quality products, more over they seemed more interested in their own personal

goals.

I have a deep passion for AMD and the products, so do many others in the community. To be let down

by the people that were chosen to represent AMD as influencers  is an understatement.

In more recent events a giveaway for a GPU was set for a night that the streamer Patty was

scheduledto be on the AMD  Twitch channel and giving away an RX-570.  Even after a  tweet from

@AMDGaming went out and specifically tagged him and that he retweeted, he had no idea that he was

supposed to be giving away that card on the stream, he thought it was going to happen on his

channel at another time.

This Patty  influencer guy has many followers and viewers on his own channel that all play console

games, as does he. How can a console player be expected to properly represent a PC hardware company

to show how well their systems built with AMD hardware can truly perform by not putting it thru

some intense gameplay while playing games designed for a console?

I feel that this ‘influencer program’ is a bad idea. However, the AMD Red Team Plus program is a

better representation of the value and commitment to great products for mainstream PC builds as

well as enthusiast  class machines.

The knowledge and enthusiasm that the AMD Red Team Plus members have and share with the community

are what make me a proud member of the Red Team.

As with any program there will be growing pains and certain people will need to be weeded out. I

for one have been very disappointed it some of the ‘influencers’ in the program. From what I have

seen

there was only one that comes to mind that has any  positive influence outside of the AMDRTP

members and  that would be the streamer Bear. He is knowledgeable and very enthusiastic when referring to

the AMD hardware that he is using, he also sound genuine about them.

• Re: Influencers and lack of influence
          ajlueke

I do not think it is necessarily wrong to have a console gamer featured on an AMD stream, as both the PS4 and Xbox One run on AMD hardware, as will their future iterations.  If anything, it sounds like there needs to be more education with consoles gamers that their systems run AMD and then draw the lines to the PC products the vendor offers.

If the console gamer is unaware what is inside their platform of choice, having it featured on a AMD stream might not be a bad thing.  It may get gamers asking what is inside their machines and before you know it, they'll be cutting into a PC case with a jigsaw to add a radiator mount.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              bernie8001

I would agree with you there that it would be a good idea to inform more console streamers/gamers what is in there system. On that note though, George was referring to emulating the game on PC instead of showing what a PC GPU is capable of.

colesdav

Agree. Console Gamers are very likely running their games on AMD Hardware. This may influence their decision if they decide to build or puchase a PC.

The streamers should be helped by AMD to know what it is they are promoting and what the key points are.

I did not see it but if a streamer did "called the RX products and drivers crap on their stream that was being hosted by AMD  Twitch channel."
                Then that is obviously bad news.

Cheers.

georgefern

This console gamer in question was playing a Nintendo game on an emulator, unknown to all except the streamer playing the game. Once questioned he admitted to it being an emulated game. This does not really show the power of the hardware you are representing, PC gaming hardware on a PC hardware mfg. Twitch channel.

I have no real problem with console gaming as it is a viable platform for gaming, I am a PlayStation gamer as well as PC. I know that Xbox and PlayStation use AMD hardware.

As an influencer you take on a responsibility to the company you represent to learn about their product. To have no idea what is even in your own system tells me that you don't give a rats behind about being involved in the promotion of said company and are only in it for the free stuff.

zealotki11er

I always got the impression from years in PC gaming that people that bought ATi/AMD bought them and used them because they did some research and where recommend by friend and people that got Nvidia bought it from shear popularity and was most of the time the default pick. I too bealive people that represent the brand should know a bit about the products. Been testing some Nvidia GPUs recently to understand why people buy their GPUs and why they get recommend more really cant seem to find a reason. AMD just need to do what they did with Ryzen. Good products need no marketing or influences. Ryzen is now become the Nvidia of CPUs. A lot of recent builds feature Ryzen now. I do not think it is enough for AMD to just be a player along side Nvidia unless they compete and win at least in some fronts. If you look at Ryzen for example: More Cores, Lower Cost, Better performance per $ and much better multitasking while only having a bit less OC potential and slight less IPC. They also had lower power. Now look at Vega as an example and if it beats the competition in any fronts it is not the front that games use the GPUs for.

colesdav

Raja Koduri, speaking at a recent Financial Analyst conference, said something along the lines that AMD had dropped the ball for a while in the Discrete GPU Market, because everyone thought that mobile and APU's with integrated GPU would take over.

I think the decline really started to kick in for AMD around the launch of the R9 300 series cards, with the R9 Fury/FuryX and Nano starting the recovery.

The Fury Series cards were/are innovative products, especially the R9 Nano, but expensive and the initial R9 Fury X cards had a coil whine issue.

Nvidia now have majority of Gaming GPU  market share at the moment.

They make cut down GPU's specifically for gaming, and other GPU's targeted to Compute.

AMD GPU like Vega have to be good at Compute, Gaming, and Professional Graphics.

The RX480 and 580 cards were/are great competition to GTX 1060, and perform better in DX12/Vulkan until recently ... (Nvidia are catching up in some DX12 games).

In my view, Crossfire Support was vastly improved on new AAA titles because a pair of RX480's was the only way to compete with a GTX 1080.

DX11 performance is still a major problem for AMD Cards. Nvidia have had a very good multithreaded DX11 driver where as AMD DX11 driver is not so good.

This might be down to GCN architecture itself or other reasons.

Unfortunately for AMD, the increase in the number of DX12 and Vulkan games has been very slow.

There are still new titles coming out on DX11.

I am sure Nvidia are in no real  hurry to encourage game developers to move away from DX11, where they do better, and on to DX12/Vulkan which would only help AMD.

The RX Vega 56 is looking better performance with  ~ small power increase versus as an Nvidia GTX1070. This is great news.

At the highest end of gaming GPU's, currently Nvidia are far ahead in Performance/Power Consumption, if you take the current state of the RX Vega 64 versus the GTX 1080 or GTX 1080Ti for example.  Hopefully something is still switched off/ not working correctly in the Vega 64 drivers at the moment, and that will improve.

On the Software side, I feel that AMD Crimson ReLive is miles ahead of Nvidia Control Panel and GeForce Experience.

On the Drivers OS Support side, up until now, I would say both are pretty equal but AMD have just dropped Windows 8.1 64bit support, and Nvidia still support it.

I think dropping Windows 64 bit support completely is a big mistake to make at the moment, even if the market share of windows 8.1 users is only 8-12%.

Because AMD gaming cards are great at compute, Miners buy them. That has caused serious supply issues for gamers and problems for AMD in the past.

Miners buy the cards, gamers cant get AMD cards, Gamers buy Nvidia instead, Mining craze stops. Miners dump worn out AMD cards on Ebay. Gamers buy them, they fail, AMD cards get bad reputation. Meantime Prices of AMD cards plummet because everyone buys cheaper AMD cards on Ebay or somewhere. End of last Mining Craze AMD had to take an inventory write off I believe.

That is the reason most people just go out and buy Nvidia cards I think.

Unfortunately in the Gaming Space now, lots of people just think  Gaming GPU = Nvidia.
                      In some cases/price points , the AMD cards are overall better performance and value. 

We are on this forum so we know about AMD GPU's, probably because of HD7970 series or earlier.
                      Many others simply have no idea of AMD Gaming GPU's or AMD hardware inside their gaming consoles.

Hopefully with the RX580, RXVega 56 and RX Vega 64 things will turn around.

Maybe AMD do need to re-address DX11 Driver performance though.

If the vast majority of games most gamers run are DX11, then AMD Cards need to get better at running DX11 games as well, somehow.

Cheers.

bernie8001

Adding a bit more about Patty, he doesn't know PC hardware for the most part. He stated on stream that he is a poser. He was trying to tell us the hardware he was using "...I wanna say, Corsair VI HERO, is that right. The ASUS mobo for AMD. I've got a 1700x. An RXXXXX 570...I think...740, I don't remember. There's too many letters and numbers man. I can't remember this stuff." That is what he said and he also chuckled a bit while saying it towards the end. I found that to be very sad that this is one of the people who are suppose to be talking about AMD products and spreading the word about how great they are.

red5

You made some great points George. I've seen many people question AMD's marketing efforts.  I think many supporters of AMD are the typical fanboys like you'd see people who buy a Chrysler car. There is all kinds of data out there to point out that Chrysler doesn't make the same quality of product as Honda or Toyota, but people either just ignore it, or are so loyal they'll buy that car regardless.  People with a high level of technical knowledge, and this would include most people in the IT industry, have been so accustomed to AMD not having competent products that they rule them out when making consumer purchases. So it makes sense that AMD would have to resort to using people with limited technical knowledge to promote their products. It may sound bad, but I've worked in enterprise IT for a long time, and AMD has not been taken seriously for a decade or longer. Sure, the RX 4** and 5** were decent cards, and good value. I have 6 of them, and part of that is because I support AMD when I can because I credit them for being part of the reason I got into IT as a career. But that also means I'm a realist, and understand the limitations of their products. I went several years not building a brand new machine because frankly AMD processors were not even competitive. However, I couldn't bring myself to buy a new Intel processor. I've been using a 2nd hand Core i7 2600 for years, and just now am building testing a Ryzen 1600 system.

So, in closing, my whole point is that it will take a while before more informed, competent 'influencers' jump on the AMD bandwagon and offer their support