5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 7:33 PM by ajlueke

Trekkie With a Problem.

tymkoijn1

Hey everyone, sorry it has been so long since I posted but been working on something for my starfleet chapter. Our regional summit is coming up in march and I am in charge of building the website. I am trying to work on intergrating more social platforms into it and i want to find a way to livestream it. I have a few extra parts around to build a live streaming pc but i am wondering if it would even work. I have an old semperon and an nvidia 8800 graphics card that i can use but i dont know if that would even work. I do have my old FX 9590 that i could use as but i would have to find a cooler for it. and i would have to get a power suply for it. please I have no budget and i have to save what i can to get to the summit,  but any ideas would help.

• Re: Trekkie With a Problem.
          ajlueke

Hello!

I think the real bottle neck with your project will be the network infrastructure at the venue.  A key piece in the planning process will be assessing the upload bandwidth you can sustain at the venue.  That will really dictate the quality of video/audio you want to capture with your live stream.

A hardwired internet connection with fiber optic upload speeds will be able to live stream most video files without a lot of processing or transcoding, but will eat up considerable HDD space.  If the network connection is more bandwidth constrained, either in the upload to the internet, or connection to the router, the files may need to be transcoded on the fly in order to meet the bandwidth limitations of the network.  That puts more strain on the CPU and GPU.  You can get around that, by simply recording the video at a lower quality setting, thus allowing for the streaming of the raw file with limited CPU and GPU strain.

I think the hardware you are talking about will be fine, but you will need to take stock of the network you have access too, how you will connect to that network and figure out what bandwidth you can reliably maintain.

tymkoijn1

from the website of the venue there are dataports and buisness wifi but i plan on contacting them most likely today. if not tomarrow to find out specifics.

jamesc359

Have you tried streaming with this PC yet?