6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 4:28 AM by anonymousbadger

RX Vega temperature sensor location

kiffmet

Now that the new GPU-Z Version is out, i was wondering what exactly "GPU Hot Spot Temperature" measures. Also when the program reports HBM temperatures, is this from the bottom level of the memory stack or from somewhere inbetween?

amdmatt Do you have a clue maybe?

• Re: RX Vega temperature sensor location
          amdmatt

I'm not sure, best to ask the developer of the software.

kiffmet

But isn't this temperature value something that is provided by the card's firmware? Anyways, I will ask the devs and report back if they tell me something.

kiffmet

So yeah the GPU-Z devs also do not know the exact position of that sensor because all they did was using APIs provided by AMDs driver in order to query them. Could you please ask the driver devs or the GPU engineering team about the position of these sensors?

I have the RX Vega 56 with an EK Waterblock on it and as soon as i increase the powerlimit, i get a huge delta between the core temp and hot spot. When leaving everything at stock, that delta is 18°C. And when I increase the powerlimit, that delta goes up to 35°C. Then I have 44°C on the core and 79°C on the hotspot. Depending on what exactly is measured 79°C could be fine or catastrophal. The reason why I would like to know what exactly that temperature measures, is that it would help to diagnose mounting issues with custom coolers. There are many people out there who use a Morpheus II or a waterblock to cool their Vega. For some, reseating the cooler has helped and for some it didn't.

amdmatt Please share this crucial information as this would be beneficial to all of the Vega enthusiasts out there.

dadyal

i am getting driver crash in  every game on my vega 64 liquid and i think it's either hotspot temp or that jumpy clock speed of vega gpus

Untitlwggggggggggggggggggggggggged.png

anonymousbadger

dadyal some time passed since your post. What did you end up doing with your card? I have the same issue with my Sapphire Vega 56 and any driver up to the current 18.8.2.

I've got driver crashes in most games (driver amdkmdap crashes and get restored by windows), which unfortunately also crashes the game. At higher temps GPU-z starts giving single wrong readouts for some sensors (like 723W GPU only power draw, 1023°C VR temp, .... ).

Please share the story of what you did with your card, I'd appreciate it.