3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2017 3:14 AM by kenyomurabu

A Question about Super Virtual Resolution in games.

lucentfir

I have dual 1920x1080 monitors, and I do like to play at 1440p(downsampling) on some of my games by downsampling. My question is If I set the actual monitor resolution in the display settings from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 resolution, does this affect my game's image quality in downsampling when playing in SVR game 1440p? I would just keep my monitor's native resolution at 1920x1080 but I get problems sometimes  when alt tabbing out of games where I guess the GPU glitches out and and locks up when alt tabbing back into the game.

• Re: A Question about Super Virtual Resolution in games.
          kenyomurabu

What?

I would think that using your Monitors Resolution would be better then using your GPU Resolution...

Why would you want to Upscale an Image, when it doesn't need to be Upscaled in the first place?

Just thought i'd ask, is all...

Upscaling your Computers Resolution, I am thinking would make things on Video, or Pictures look amazing, but however

text & other things, would look horrible on screen...

Using your Monitors Resolution properly displays everything on screen to the correct size they need to be...

However, in your question, you are talking about 1440P Vs 1440P... Two Different Methods...

I dun see why you would need Virtual Super Resolution just to get the same Resolution as you can already get

with your Monitor...

If someone has better knowlage about this, maybe they can help you more, i'm not very good with Hardware... ~_~

lucentfir

The actual monitor size is a 1920x1080. So normally that would be your max setting for in-game resolution. VSR enabled allows you to push your resolution options even more, meaning I can take 1440p or higher(It's not true 1440p because it's a 1080 monitor) in games. Some of the games I play have adjustable UI interfaces so it's easy fix for the text, and I enjoy supersampling antialiasing(The reason I bump up to 1440p in-game res) The question was if i go into the display settings at the desktop(Right click->Display Settings) and change the display resolution from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440, would there be any loss in image quality in games that I've set for 1440p in the game's options? I ask this because sometimes tabbing back into the game after alt tabbing causes it to lock up or freeze to where I have to restart the whole computer, where as if I set it to 2560x1440 it doesn't do that.

kenyomurabu

Oh, I thought your Monitor can reach 1440P, srry...

I miss read your thread...

In that case basically Upscaling to 1440P with Super Virtual Resolution will make the Screen look nice, nice pictures, nice Videos,

but text will look bad...

You asked about Game Settings? If your using VSR to Upscale, you will also need to do the same with your Game settings..

I've been using VSR for a while now, I have not experienced any FPS Drop, or Screen Differences at all, actually the picture looks even better

with VSR on... to be honest...

I also use Supersampling AAA for my Games, too...

But when Upscaling your Resolution, to keep the FPS from dropping in Games from this Generation, I had to

turn on Enhanced AAA & everything else, I either turned on, or I set it to using Software Settings instead of overiding with GPU Settings...

Older Games, I used Max Settings in my ReLive Global Settings...

The problem with Text on screen with VSR is, it tends to look super small, pixelated, blurry, & such...

Your just using 1440P on a 1080P Monitor, so your not going to notice much of an issue with text as I do...

I'm using 1800P on a 1080P Monitor, so i'm seeing a much bigger difference then you are..

The thing with Upscaling is..

You are not shrinking a picture down & then restretching it again...

No, you are actually taking the Camera & moving it backwards, so you can see more of the screen, & then taking the screen, & stretching it to fit your Camera...

So you actually see more on screen... Anotherwards, it looks like your monitor is actually farther away from you, when you look at it with VSR...

I like the idea of VSR, but some people don't like it, they prefer to stick to the original Resolution 1080P... I dunno...

I also have a non overclocked model CPU & my GPU is overclocked, so I dunno if your PC will show same results as mine does...

I think people have said you will experience a worst Picture Quality on VSR, but i've not really noticed any difference myself...