AMD R9 390

Desktop

Windows 10 64-bit

Radeon Crimson ReLive 17.8.2

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard, BIOS v1.11

Intel i7-4790K

EVGA 1000 G2 PSU

32 GB RAM

Hi all, after installing the latest set of drivers, I've run into an issue where one of my fans isn't working and the fan controls aren't responding to my inputs.  The fan at the rear of my case does not turn at all, leading to some real issues with overheating.  I've had several rounds of PUBG crash because my card has exceeded 93 degrees Celsius.  Previously, I was using MSI Afterburner to put my fans into overdrive while I played and even changed my case because my airflow was poor.  When using Afterburner, I was able to stay at or below 83 degrees which was fine for me.  Since Afterburner is now out of the question with the new drivers, I've attempted four or five fully clean installs of the drivers with no ability to get my fan controls to work.  I've attached two screenshots, one where I'm just looking at Radeon Settings and this forum, the other while playing the game.  The temp is a little low in game because I took off the side panel to confirm both times that the fan at the rear of the case was not spinning at all.

I'm really perplexed and I'd like to know if anyone's having the same issue or if there are any potential solutions.  I'll attempt to reseat the card for grins, but I'm hoping someone has a better solution.  Thanks!

• Re: Fans not working Crimson 17.8.2
          sharkhunt

I have a problem close of what u had, but i think the fans work or i think they work, but when i play a game the Temps goes to 90-99 ºC and then crash with green screen in my case. Am with this problem since new updates and drivers almost a month, i hoping they come a with a new fix for this, if not i will sell my card, and never buy again amd.

goodplay

The Afterburner beta works on my 390 (I have wattman disabled).

Did you uninstall the old ab fully(no leftover reg files/profiles).

Fan at rear of case ?, or cards fan nearest rear of case ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              colesdav

Hi,

I do remember ~ when AMD Crimson was launched ~ 2 years ago - one early version of Crimson was released which allowed the  fans on my Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB to be completely switched off if I put the fans on Manual and moved the fan slider to minimum setting. I have not seen that behaviour for a long time though. I am sure I have posts about the issue on this forum or on Steam somewhere.

You can ask the official AMD Support on this forum about this one, but as far as I know AMD Crimson ReLive does not and never did support Third Party Overclocking Tools. However now they do not work properly at all with AMD Crimson ReLive. So as far as I know, there is no guarantee of what will happen if you use MSI Afterburner or even Sapphire Trixx now.

For example you can see here:

Sapphire TriXX & MSI AB not working with 17.7.2 WHQL atm + 300/500 Problem solved on Fiji

What I suggest you do is:

1. Uninstall all third party overclocking tools like MSI Afterburner, Sapphire Trixx, whatever and reboot as often as asked.
              2. Uninstall AMD Crimson ReLive Installation completely using Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a Program, reboot.
              3. Download and run the amdcleanuputility.exe available on this forum program and reboot.
              4. Install the latest AMD Driver for your system and reboot.

Then check to see if your fans work.
              If they still do not work, then the next step I would try would be uninstall driver, reboot, run DDU, reboot, reinstall driver, reboot.
              Then check if your fans do not work.

If still not working then file  AMD Reporting Form.

It might be an idea to remove your graphics card, remove the shroud on the card, remove the fan and check if it runs from a separate supply.
              Cheers.