2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2017 4:42 PM by hardcoregames™

Replace BIOS on RX 580

somecdnguy

Hey all,

First and foremost, I am asking this from a mining perspective...please don't get your hate on for the shortage of GPU's out there - I'm just a beginner with a few cards...not like someone I heard of from one dealer who has an order for 600 (no, not joking).

So for those not familiar with BIOS modding for mining, typically the 1500 or 1750 timing are copied over top of the 2000 and/or 2250 timings via a BIOS editor then of course re-applied to the GPU.

In my case I have an MSI RX 580 8 GB card (Hynix memory and not an Armor / Sapphire / OC model) and the timings only show 0:400 through 0:2250. Other cards I have have timings in each of 0:400-2250, 1:400-2250 and 2:400-2250.  In the case of the RX 580, out of the box it was hashing at around 21 MH/s.  With the 1750 timing copied overtop of the 2000 timing entry I was able to get it to hash at 24.3 MH/s but what's curious is that when I attempt to tweak the memory and/or core clock settings with Afterburner or AMD settings, my hashrate drops to 19.x MH/s regardless of what settings I use.  This and the power consumption remains relatively constant at >135W while hashing.

My question to you fine folks is whether I can take another Hynix BIOS (or any other for the sake of argument) and flash it over the existing BIOS to provide better command over the GPU.

Has anyone had any success with this or, is this a technical impossibility?

Will be happy to provide additional system details if needed and thanks in advance!

Best,

Mike