5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 9:11 AM by amdmatt

Will an i5 2500K Bottleneck a RX 480?

eramark1

Hello!

This is my first time on this forum and also the first time that i try to build my own computer, so i am sorry in advanced if i created this in the wrong section!

I am currently using a desktop PC with:

- AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

- Asus P8P67LE

The current setup works fine but i wanted to buy another, stronger graphic card!

I had this one in my mind because it was recommended to me by some of my friends :

- Radeon RX480

Now the thing i am worried about is my processor bottlenecking my graphics.

If the bottleneck would happen which kind of a processor would i need ( minimum )?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Will this bootleneck?
          black_zion

That's impossible to answer as some games are CPU dependent, such as CS:GO or GTAV, while others are GPU dependent, such as The Witcher 3. So, tell us what your most demanding games are and we can tell you the answer.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              eramark1

With my current setup i have big performance issues with Player Unknown Battleground which doesn't work above 40 - 50 fps.

I also play Rust which works "normal" on low settings without any major issues ( stutter at times ).

Rainbow Six Siege works fine with 60fps on low settings too.

Generally i don't play heavily demanding games like the new Battlefield 1 or Witcher 3.

And as i read your reply CS:GO and even GTAV worked fine on my PC, when Witcher 3 had major issues.

EDIT : I am playing PUBG on all low and in the smallest resolution possible with some extra tweaks to the game to make it less laggy.

black_zion

PUB is a beta game, and problems should be taken up with the developer. Also, what R7 graphics card do you have? The R7 series encompasses everything from the R7 240 to the R7 265, big performance difference between the two. But as it stands the i5-2500 is noticeably more powerful than the FX-8370 (17% per thread), and the RX 480 is 130% faster than even the R7 265, so there will be a significant performance boost, and not going to be a major bottleneck.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      eramark1

I am using ( as mentioned ) the 200 series one ( AMD Radeon R7 200 Series ). I just wanted slight confirmation that it will work, i can deal with slight stutter.

Also this might be a bit of an off-topic question but i have a motherboard which supports DDR3 and the Radeon RX480 is DDR4 compatible. I read on the internet that i can connect it to the motherboard via a PCI-e port/connector. Will this pose any sort of problems ( if i connect it via PCI-e )?

Also this generally answers my question so thanks again!!!!

• Re: Will an i5 2500K Bottleneck a RX 480?
                  amdmatt

glad to see that you have found the correct answer to your question.  In order to help others with a similar problem to find this answer quickly, we have locked the discussion to keep it focused on the issue you reported.