9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2017 6:02 AM by sharkhunt

XFX R9 380 - Fans speeds not being controlled properly.

the88shrimp

So today while in a game I noticed a considerable frame rate drop after about a minute of being in-game, I did the usual: Restart the game, Restart my PC, Reinstall GPU drivers but none of this fixed my issue. Using the AMD Global WattMan and GPU-Z I noticed it was an overheating issue due to the two fans not spinning on my GPU.

I tested all sorts of things from here on:

I tried to manually set the fan speed with Global WattMan but the fans still did not move.

I tried using other applications to set the fan speed but to no success.

I felt the fans to see if they were stuck or stiff but they were fine.

I pulled my GPU out then opened it up to clean all the dust out of the heat sync and I also reapplied thermal compound.

I would have just assumed the fans have completely failed if it wasn't for the fact that the fans still spin every now and again. While monitoring the GPU with GPU-Z every few minutes the fans would spin at around 1000 RPM for a minute or so and then stop, with seeing this I can tell that the sensors in the GPU work fine to detect what it's doing, fan speeds both % and RPM, clock speeds, temperature etc so it's got me stumped. From seeing that I can tell that the fans do work but it seems that applications have no control over their speeds and nor does the temperature of the GPU influence the fans' speed It seems to either have a mind of its own or there is something else influencing the speeds. The GPU has been working perfectly fine before this and I have tried to think of any changes I may have made to influence this problem but can't think of anything.

Additional Information:

Windows 10 Pro x64

XFX Radeon R9 380 4 GB

Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40 GHz

16 GB 1600 DDR3 RAM

750w 80+ Cougar power supply