4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2017 6:38 AM by eiichi_aru

Acer XZ271 FreeSync Flickering

dimi1606

Hello,

I recently purchased an Acer XZ271 and I am experiencing flickering (screen gets brighter for some ms) when playing games and FreeSync is enabled. While in windows, nothing happens.

My Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 (PowerColor Red Devil)

Board: Asus Strix B350-F Gaming

Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 (running on 2133)

I have installed all latest drivers (Crimson 17.8.2, even wiped everything with DDU). Didn't solve anything. I tried different Display Ports on my GPU, again no success.

I researched this issue and found out that many people with different brands of monitors are having this issue. What they have in common, is a Polaris based GPU.

In Crimson 17.8.1 "issues have been resolved on a small amount of Samsung FreeSync enabled displays that may have been experiencing issues". Are there going to be any updates for other monitors soon?

The issue can be reproduced in any game, let's say CS:GO. By just staying in the main menu, the flickering appears from time to time. Another strange thing: while running the nVidia pendulum application (test pattern activated), pressing the left mouse button will make the screen flash in red. The same happens in the PUBG menu when pressing the refresh button of the friends list. But here its the usual brightness flickering. Deactivating FreeSync will remove any flickering. Strangely, when playing Overwatch, no flickering appears and everything runs smooth.

I assume the issue is not monitor related since it seems to happen on a variety of monitors and there are games which don't have flickering issues.

UPDATE: with the new 17.10.1 drivers, the flickering starts even in video streams, when using fullscreen.