2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2017 2:11 AM by ba'alzamon

RX Vega Ubuntu 16.04

ba'alzamon

Hi friends.

I am one of those lucky /stupid ones who managed to purchase RX Vega 64 for inflated price. All because of AMD promises of love for open source.

One think I did not expect that I will be running my monitor with maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 .

I have installed latest amdgpu-pro drivers, but it did not help.

I have even upgraded Kernel to latest stable 4.12.10 and even to 4.13 rc7 and still I cannot use resolution higher then 1024 x 768 .. really I cannot use computer.

Can someone please point me to instruction how to fix this?

I am embarrassed to go on Monday to work , and after building everyone on Vega and AMD to everyone for months, to tell them this.

• Re: RX Vega Ubuntu 16.04
          hotrith

Hello there,

1º Reinstall the amdgpu-pro.

(make sure that no error pop-up)

2º Open Terminal and type $ xrandr

(it will show your capable resolutions, refresh rate and output)

3º Go to settings/resolutions in control panel and change the resolution for other resolution like 800x600.

(this is for creating a file called "monitors.xml" in ../.config/..)

4º In the Terminal type $ sudo xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode XXXXxXXXX --rate XX

(on output, make sure that you know what it is, it can be HDMI-A-1, or DVI1, or whatever...)

(on XXX type your values)

(if is done right the screen will flash and you will see what you want)

5º Go to "Home" press Ctrl+h to show hidden folders, go to ".config" and find the file "monitors.xml" and open with gedit.

6º In the line "<rate>60</rate>" change for your monitor refresh rate and save.

7º reboot the system and done, it should be running fine and smooth.

Regards.

1 of 1 people found this helpful