11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2017 9:08 AM by amdmatt

HBM overclock on R9 Nano in AMD Crimson ReLive 17.7.2 / 17.8.2 Drivers on Windows 10/8.1 64bit?

colesdav

Hello.

Please can someone in AMD Drivers Team  respond to this question.

Can you please tell me why HBM Overclocking is still disabled in the AMD Crimson ReLive Drivers for the R9 Nano (Fury X) Model?
      Does HBM overclocking in R9 Nano have some sort of obscure reliability problem?

There used to be a workaround using MSI AfterBurner / Sapphire Trixx where I used to be able to overclock HBM with AMD Crimson Software.
      I admit I had not overclocked the HBM Memory for a while, but I wanted to try it for some GPU Compute / Render runs and ... the MSI Afterburner and Sapphire Trixx
      workaround no longer works at all.

I constantly see AMD Support / Others on the Community, say never use any other overclocking tool with AMD Crimson ReLive anyhow, so the above workarounds should be discouraged.

Please put the option to Overclock HBM memory into Radeon Crimson ReLive for the R9 Nano, or tell me a workaround to do it.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: colesdav . Strike through any reference to the AMD Drivers Team. I initially meant the "AMD Support Forums -> Community -> Drivers and Software Team." Minor formats and edits.

• Re: HBM overclock on R9 Nano in AMD Crimson ReLive 17.7.2 / 17.8.2 Drivers on Windows 10/8.1 64bit?
          kingfish

You have posted enough times on the forum to know that "Please can someone in AMD Drivers Team respond to this question." isn't going to happen. AMD tells you that. You know the way to contact AMD support. Making some third party controller work for you is not going to be high on any 'to do' list...IMO.

• Re: HBM overclock on R9 Nano in AMD Crimson ReLive 17.7.2 / 17.8.2 Drivers on Windows 10/8.1 64bit?
            colesdav

AMD Reporting form Filed into the Ether net.

Cheers.

colesdav

I installed an older AMD Driver which worked with Sapphire Trixx/ MSI Afterburner tools to allow HBM Overclocking.

Here is an example where the ability to modify the HBM clock frequency seems to have improved the overall performance of my Dual R9 Nano (FuryX) running the latest 3DMark  TimeSpy DX12 test.

Note my R9 Nanos are in original shrouds now, so Air Cooled.

In the above example an underclock of the HBM Memory of 25MHz (-5%) resulted in a ~ +1% Performance increase in TimeSpy Result.
                Increasing the HBM frequency to 515MHz degraded performance in this case however if I put my R9 Nanos on Waterbloack the performance would increase based on past numbers.

Thanks.

colesdav

I forgot to mention I used the following Overclocking Tool with an earlier version of AMD Crimson ReLive for the above HBM Overclocking/Underclocking example result.
                MSI Afterburner Version 4.3.0.9267 (Compiled on 10-10-2016 20:47:05).

I also downloaded and tried Sapphire Trixx version 6.4.0 which is available from the Sapphire Website.
                That version of Sapphire Trixx also allows HBM Overclocking/Underclocking  with older version of AMD Crimson ReLive.
                I find MSI Afterburner much more convenient to use, but best if you try out Sapphire Trixx for yourself and decide. It does work.

Cheers

colesdav

Here is a nice quick comparison of HBM Overclocking on Firestrike with Dual R9 Nanos on Air with HBM set to 475: 500: 510: 525 MHz using MSI Afterburner.

As you can see in the above tests, Graphics Tests 1 and 2 perform better with HBM Overclocking.
                  There is some run to run variation of course, due to environmental factors and randomness of Windows 10 64bit having a mind of it's own, but I have been as careful as possible.

These runs were run in sequence starting from left to right. I waited until the temperatures on each card hit the same value before launching 3DMark Firestrike.

I would expect an R9 Nanos on Waterblocks or R9 FuryX owners to to benefit more from HBM overclocking.

Please add HBM overclocking into Radeon Crimson ReLive settings in the future - even if it is only for the overclockers ...  or allow MSI Afterburner Memory Overclocking in your latest drivers.

Thank you.

john007

Disgusting tactics if you ask me.

In what world is this legit? You don't just disable overclocking features on cards when you see fit AMD.

Is this how you do business now days? How can we even trust you anymore, you think I'm purchasing a Vega just to find out a year later you disable the overclocking features when you push out your next line of cards.

colesdav

Hello,

I do not think you will get anywhere giving feedback about this, or about AMD dropping Windows 8.1 Drivers 5.5 years early.
                        Think with your head, vote with your wallet, be loyal to yourself.

Coincidence you should just now though, because I was just thinking about this earlier today.

I do not think that HBM overclocking was ever in the AMD drivers early on because HBM was new unproven technology so fair enough.
                        But there should be enough reliability data by now. I have already been told AMD will do nothing to add this feature into Fury X or R9 Nano drivers.
                        They are old technology now ... however I now own four (1 new 3 from Ebay second hand) R9 Nanos rather than purchase a new RX Vega 64 or 56.

Overclocking the HBM2 CLK on RX Vega 64/56 gives the most performance improvement for the least amount of power increase and also increases the performance benefit of the  GPU CLK increase. I completed a write up about Buildzoid investigation of the RX Vega 56 BIOS Mod.

Since Vega 64 Architecture is essentially Fiji XT run at a higher (too high to be efficient on the current process) clock frequency on a smaller process node ... overclocking R9 FuryX and Nano on Watercooling &/or with VBIOS mod should behave similarly.

I do not know if MSI Afterburne/Trixx overclocking was disabled on purpose, it may well be that something changed in the AMD Driver which meant MSI Afterburner no longer worked or a combination of the two.

I was about to install 17.11.4 and take a look at how it works with the very latest version of MSIi Afterburner earlier today, but I was looking into GTA V and Rise of the Tomb Raider performance on 17.11.2 driver for someone else on this forum, and it took me longer than I expected. I will let you know what I find.

I do not know why you would purchase a Vega at current prices if you are just interested in Gaming.  For the first time in years I did not purchase an AMD GPU in Black Friday Sale.

RX Vega 64 need to be <= cost of GTX1080 for gamers because in all reviews I see so far, Vega 64 on AIR, even AIB cards, stuggle to keep up with a GTX 1080. Even the Vega 64 Liquid Cooled card barely beats a GTX 1080.

Bye.

colesdav

If you are thinking of purchasing a Vega 64 card for OpenCL Compute, the Vega 64 Liquid is what you need I think, if you can get one.
                          If you do buy the Vega 64 Liquid you might want to change the radiator on the Vega 64 Liquid from single to triple fan depending on ambient temps where you are.
                          there is an article on Toms Hardware about that.

Otherwise buy a Vega 64 reference card and put it on waterblock.

All AIB Vega 64 AIR cards cards are large 2.5 slot (Asus Strix) or 3 slot high cards (Powercolor, Sapphire Nitro. Gigabye? - it looks about 3 slots). Some look so heavy they probably need support brackets so thats 4 slots for 1 card in some cases. Based on reviews running 17.4.4. pre-release drivers it looks like you might get ~ 6% performance uplift with the PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64 and ~ 3% with the Strix versus a Vega 64 reference card on Air. That will cost you even higher power draw in the case of the Powercolor Devil though. The main advantage of the AIB Vega 64 cards seems to be the ability to run them at lower fan noise.

Only AIB cards that I have seen so far that looks like it is 2 slots high is the  XFX Vega 64. It is extra wide though.

I have decided to skip Vega until AMD fix it and/or respin it, and it has drivers that work reliably.
                          Even today, reviewers are struggling to test the late to market RX VEGA AIB cards because of driver issues, just like they did  with the Vega FE and RX Vega months ago. Go look at Jayz2Cents, OC3D, and Gamers Nexus reviews of the Asus Strix Vega64, Powercolor Devil Vega 64.

Bye.

amdmatt

HBM overclocking was never supported or enabled on the R9 Fury line of products. If it was possible to adjust HBM clock speed via third party tools in an older driver but now no longer works, you'll need to contact the developers of the software.

HBM overclocking will not be enabled on the Fury line of GPUs in our drivers. As this is the official answer, i will now lock this thread. amdreport