6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 8:17 AM by gorki07

AMD A12 -9720P bottlenecking GPU?

5huusui

I recently bought an Acer Aspire A515-41G laptop but the performance is not what I was expecting.

Playing DotA 2 at 'Best Looking' Settings gets me around 30fps at most but the same thing happens if I set everything to low. I've even disabled the Xbox DVR but to no avail. I've also tried playing CS:GO and the fps was acceptable (around 40-50fps) but I'm pretty sure I could squeeze more from it. Playing DiRT 3 on high settings also gave me an acceptable performance. I've also monitored the temperature while running the games and it never passed 50-60 celcius which is quite weird. One more thing is, my GPU usage was spiking from 100 to 0 at a very drastic rate during gaming so I expect it to be bottlenecked by something(?), possibly my CPU. I don't know.

DotA 2 should run way smoother than CS:GO and DiRT 3 since my old Pentium laptop with integrated graphics could handle DotA 2 better than the other games I've mentioned.

Specs:

QuadCore AMD A12-9720P, 2300 MHz (23 x 100)

Radeon 500 Series  (2 GB) RX540

Kingston 9905624-013.A00G 8 GB DDR4-2400 DDR4 SDRAM

1TB HDD 5400RPM

What I've Tried:

• Navigate to Switchable Graphics settings and set my games to High Performance
      • Lowering the resolution from FHD to 4:3 ratio (gave a slight performance boost)

GPU Temperature and Usage while spectating a DotA 2 game:

GPU Core and Memory Clock:

CPU Usage:

If you guys need any more information, ask away. I'm not really that tech savvy so please be kind to me. Thanks in advance