14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2018 2:37 AM by colesdav

Chill causing Water Texture flicker  on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. - Now Fixed in Adrenalin Driver.

colesdav

Hi,

With the release of AMD Crimson 17.7.2 it was great to see Chill & Crossfire mentioned so I tried it out some time ago.

I see the following problem.

Serious Flicker on water textures in  the The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  on 17.7.2. Driver when running a 47-75 Hz (1080p)  or (47-60Hz) (4K Resolution using VSR).
      I am running a pair of R9 Nanos in Crossfire with i7-4790K CPU on Windows 10 driving a Viewsonic FreeSync Monitor.
      I have Vsync off in The Witchers menu. Running at maxed out Ultra  setting but with AA off, overridden with high AA settings in Radeon Crimson 17.7.2 Driver.

I have Frame Pacing on and Frame Rate Target Control set to 75 Hz (1080p) or 60Hz (4K Resolution with VSR).

In the case of 75 Hz (1080p) my system can output up to 110 FPS if I disable FRTC (which is outside the max FreeSync frequency of 75) at this resolution.
      Setting FRTC to 75 gives me a really smooth experience in this case. No screen tearing, no texture flicker. Great.
      Disabling FRTC gives me high FPS (75-110) but I see screen tearing, as expected.
      Setting FRTC to 60, 50, 47, the flickering on the water textures gets increasingly worse.

Turning on Chill with a Chill Range of 47-75 and FRTC of 75 incurs immediate flicker and chill seems to incur immediate max frame rate of 60 FPS.
      Needless to say, standing still, frame rate drops to 47 and flicker even worse.

In the case of 60Hz with 4K resolution with VSR. my R9 Nanos can only manage around 49-55 FPS with these high graphical settings and the  FRTC set to 60.
      Consequently there is serious flicker on the water textures and it gets worse as the GPU's start to throttle (they are running with Power Target of +50% and 1050MHz, with max temp and fan Targets.

I have the video recordings to show what is happening.

If someone from AMD is interested to look into the issue I will point AMD support to some videos illustrating the issue.

I have not had time to test other Crossfire and Chill Supported titles yet, but I may well do if I get time. I have been too busy so far.
      Thanks.

Updated this thread to explain the following.
      (1). Water Texture Flickering in Chill in Crossfire is fixed in Adrenalin Drivers.
      (2). I had an issue with installation of driver from 17.11.4 -> 17.12.1 where turning Chill on, mouse not was not increasing FPS at all. Using DDU to reinstall the driver fixed this issue. Mouse input is increasing Chill FPS towards Chill Max Target value now. Since this was a driver installation issues I removed those videos.
      (3). Keyboard only input FPS with Chill turned on never increases FPS by more than 15-20 FPS above Chill min.

Please see Could AMD please add Keyboard and Mouse input Weighting sliders for for Chill in Adrenalin Driver?