50 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 3:58 PM by walking_corpse

Colt

daquteness

Description

This is a Work-In-Progress build, as you can see, the fans are a dis-coordonated mess because a lot were faulty and this is what I had lying around, but I wanted to show you where it all begins. I've spared you the components shots as there's nothing new there, we've all seen the boxes

Colt is a reference to the gun-metal grey look which I absolutely love, a stealthier look to it. In most cases (no pun intended), the most beautiful components are the motherboard and graphics card. In my case (literally this time) the FE stands out a bit because it is an inverted ATX, which I LOVE, as these are premium build pieces of machinery. I will watercool it relatively soon and I thought this would be a good place to start.

Let me know your thoughts, this is just the first step, more to come soon!

Specifications

CPURyzen 7 1700@3.9Ghz stable
      CoolerCorsair H115i 280mm AIO Cooler
      MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
      Memory16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz (soon to be 32GB 3200MHz)
      GraphicsAMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
      Disc Drive 1SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SSD
      Disc Drive 2Seagate FireCuda 1TB
      Disc Drive 3soon, a Samsung PRO 960 500GB NVMe to swap the Sandisk with
      PSUCorsair HX1200i
      CaseCorsair Carbide 600C
      MonitorLG 24" Freesync IPS display (LG 24MP59G)

IMG_20170827_120818.jpg

• Re: Colt
          whiskey-foxtrot

This is a clean and stealthy build! Do you have enough cable left to run the PCI-e cables from underneath the GPU?

Also, would you mind sharing what you use this powerhouse for?

daquteness
              I have enough cable left to hang a horse... you would not believe the sins hiding behind that top shroud! I'll post a pic at some point.

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by running them from beneath the GPU, do you mean routing under, then up by the side instead of directly to the top? Those are independent PCIe cables (2 cables for one card) with 30cm extensions I've custom sleeved myself with paracord, considering the power draw, it's best not to force a single outlet - and it's fully modular, so why not I'll be doing the full cables kit myself, I have all the tools and love sleeving so I'm not worried about length, I'll just make what's needed - any ideas are welcome!

Powerhouse use: Renders in Max, Blender, Radeon Pro Render, really heavy Revit BIM files (5GB+ masterplans) and some render engine dev work / more like plugins via render engines APIs like nVidia's Optix and now that it's available I've fully switched to Radeon Pro Render API

Quick hint: I will have a unique, custom piece addition to the EK Vega waterblocks to go in this build, that I'll make myself and reveal once finished - it's not what I've asked you about earlier today, came up with something really special.

daquteness

For the sake of consistency, I'd love to have the same fans all over. Are Vardars suitable for unobstructed intake and exhaust? I know they're high-pressure, suitable for rads, but wondering if it would hurt using them without any obstacles.

Cheers!

V.

walking_corpse

I should totally spend more time in this section of the forums, I almost missed this! Awesome build!

daquteness

Actually, if any of you watercooling gurus has some spare time, can you please cast an eye on this sketch to see if anything is wrong?

I figured I stressed a few people enough, and it would help others in this forum learn a thing or two along with me.

Cheers!

V.

Watercooling-Notes.jpg

whiskey-foxtrot

It looks great, one thing I would worry about in a smaller case is having a radiator to one of the hottest parts also function as an intake. You'll essentially be increasing the temperature in the case, which will to a lesser degree also have warmer air blow through the bottom radiator. You can of course offset this with higher quality high static radiator fans on the bottom. Ideally I would recommend having the 360 dedicated to the GPU, but since you're drawing cooler air from the outside this set up would be just fine.

The SE should also fit fine without it getting i the way of the rear case fan. The 140mm fans on the Corsair H115i 280mm AIO Cooler are 25mm, same as most Vardar fans; the Radiator on the current AIO is 26mm vs the SE at 25mm; since it fits there right now it should be just fine.

Overall, any effects from creating a negative pressure in the case should be negligible since the exhaust case fans will be drawing in air without much resistance (unless you were to create an airtight seal); the flow of cooled liquid should work effectively with the pump you mentioned as you won't have much head pressure loss. Even if the cooling liquid becomes warmer than ambient over time, you still have your high static radiator fans to do their magic through the radiators.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          daquteness

I should have probably mentioned, with the exception of the rear exhaust fan and the PSU fan (which doesn't even spin most of the times), all fans are taking air in. Bottom and front are intakes, totaling to 5 intake fans that only take in cold/ambient temp air. There's tons of positive pressure after that so I wouldn't worry. Despite the crammed looks of the watercooling layout, this case actually has very good airflow. Many thanks for the tips!

whiskey-foxtrot

" Ideally I would recommend having the 360 dedicated to the GPU, but since you're drawing cooler air from the outside this set up would be just fine." Actually, you do have it dedicated to your GPU, so disregard that part.

kxuping

I like all parts from your PC. And it looks very cool and clean. With custom WC you can better accommodate parts inside the reverse ATX case.

kxuping

the drawing  of your plans looks superb. Did you use a wacom tablet?

darkwolfca

very clean build love the vega how it stands out from rest

daquteness

Thanks, it's nowhere near being done, I just don't have enough money to slap the watercooling on, so I tidied up as best as I could and I'll do whatever I can in the mean time. A lot of custom stuff to come though...

daquteness

Well well well... affordable cooling solution heading our way then? Coming October 1st?https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6y6suk/watercooling_fluid_gaming_kits_ekfc_vega_alu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6y6suk/watercooling_fluid_gaming_kits_ekfc_vega_alu/

Might grab one of those and a 360 radiator expansion pack and we're off to the races with this build! Sure helps soothe the budget a bit...

whiskey-foxtrot

Curious to see what these will look like! The ones I have on mine should plug into the Fluid gaming kits as well; if it comes at a better price, it's definitely a win!

daquteness

They look exactly like their heavy-weight copper equivalents for the most part, except the GPU block is matte black and has some really cool grooves on top (for the GTX blocks at least...) which, now that I've mentioned it, kind of changes my plans if that's the case... Also the pump+res combo is dinky small, I wonder if I can change it with a better one later on. https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-kit-a240g

Price is also lighter. A240G + 360mm radiator extension pack should lead to ~£320 (350E) for a full loop with two rads (240 + 360, 5 fans in total), pump, reservoir, cpu and gpu blocks, provided the price is in line with current setup. I would love to change the reservoir though, it looks a bit dinky... The equivalent is the Slim series at £260 without GPU block and only a 360rad so all in all, good price and I'm willing to bet it's good performance! It should hold up to two FE's and it's still half the price of a full-on custom component pick.

I don't think you can mix the Acetal/Plexi+Nickel blocks with Aluminium ones, I'll send EK a mail to verify this, but it's really good value for money.

On another note... my contingency plan just arrived : curious to see if anybody in this forum recognizes what these are originally made for.

IMG_20170906_135821_01.jpg

So Excited Meme | lol-rofl.com

kxuping

You can mix Cooper and Aluminium WC parts, but you will have Galvanic corrosion in certain degree depending how far away in the loop the parts are, if you have exposed cooper and not nickel plated. If the nickel plate is not perfect you will notice were it has faults, the corrosion will be concentrated there. You can search this Overclock.net Forums has a lot of information about the matter. They recommend to change liquid in your loop very often to avoid it, as time passes your non conductive liquid will conduct. Have a Silver (Ag) plug helps too. If you have only one metal in your loop this is not so important.There are certain WC parts that are only available in Cu or Al, for example the Mora 360 radiator is only available in Al.

Some vendor will void your warranty if you mix Al and Cu in your loop. Its explicit on the description of EK product after they released their Al line. Some vendors will void your warranty if you do not use their line of liquid (prof of purchase of liquid).

daquteness

Many thanks for the tips! I'll look into it, I was wondering what the silver coils were for I thought they were a biocide alternative.

So I wouldn't need to be extremely worried if it's a nickel-plated GPU block, like whiskey-foxtrot mentioned, OK, learned something here.

Those Mo-ra radiators... wow... great wall of chinese fans, that's what that is, looks like it's been ripped of a truck! =)) Didn't even know they existed but seem really potent, thanks for that!

Any other watercooling tips you have, just drop them here, maybe other people will find it useful, not just myself.

Cheers!

V.

whiskey-foxtrot

Very good point to bring up kxuping! I just noticed the "ALU" part of that reddit post! I tend to shy away from anything Aluminium if I have Copper parts. Galvanic corrosion is indeed something to keep an eye out for when mixing/matching parts!

Most of EKWB's parts are either copper, brass, or nickel plated (with a copper base), and mixing one of those parts with EK's ALU line wouldn't be recommended. IF you do, make sure you're using DE-ionized liquid mixes, and change liquid often. This is where it helps to not settle for cheaper alternatives; EKWB and Alphacool are 2 of the big brands that I trust, for every part in the loop.

daquteness

Ah... I see the the confusion here, I assumed you knew the A-series was Aluminium-based.

Yeah, so, after reading A LOT lately, it seems it really isn't worth going for A-series from a compatibility pov, you should/can only use A-series components.

We'll see... I'm a bit torn at the moment, the FE was/is expensive and set me back a good wad of cash and I'm feeling the burn a bit, really can't afford much in the way of watercooling at the moment. It really depends on the upcoming drivers.

daquteness

Since I had an exhausing and not so joyful day at the office, I thought I'd do something that calms me down a great deal: go on a maintenance spree.

I started off with the thought of just moving the radiator to the front but in the process I found something extremely surprising. This case is ridiculously easy to mod REVERSIBLY (i.e. restore to original looks). Almost everything can be taken off with no chassis modification in it except the mobo backplate, but the interesting part is that I can change the front panel finish, the actual steel front finish, and keep the structure. I'll put a few pictures to better explain.

I also found that I can actually mount the fans outside the case, behind the front panel there is a good 35mm clearance! Tried it with a fan and could still put my pinky in between the fan and front cover.

And as a leaving thought, most people share the bling and process, I really think cable management is ridiculously important, so I've shared the before and after

Enjoy! Oh and I have GOT to ditch those grey corsair fans... the AF is cool but it's a shame the ring isn't on both sides. In the end I'll switch them all to ML and/or Vardar. Speaking of... Are Vardars any good as airflow fans for exhaust?

IMG_20170907_204748.jpg

See how the steel front is just held in place by bent clamps?

IMG_20170907_204710.jpg

IMG_20170907_204729.jpg

Great room gain by mounting the fans on the face of the chassis, makes room for a fatter rad or nicer reservoir.

IMG_20170907_204857.jpg

What a mess of cables...

IMG_20170907_234209.jpg

Took out a storage tray, wouldn't use it anyway and was blocking the route.

IMG_20170907_234301.jpg

Downside... now all the crappy cables at the bottom are exposed... THE SLEEVE IS CALLING! must sleeve... must... obey the sleeve master! Actually, if you look at the AF140 fan cable, I searched for sleeve that gunmetal grey for weeks, I have plenty left so I'll use that Those bottom corsairs gotta go...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                    colesdav

Good pictures, thanks.
                                                    Honestly I would not really worry about the mess of cables in the back panel. If you think yours is bad, mine is much worse.
                                                    Working on cleaning up the cables in a back panel does make for a professional  looking job but as long as no cables are in danger of getting cut when you fit the back panel  you should be fine.

daquteness

New stuff just arrived

IMG_20170908_092150.jpg

darkwolfca

looking good  can't wait to see  your progress as you move forward

daquteness

Things got real... spent 5h in art shops looking for them!

IMG_20170909_190330.jpg

ajlueke

Is this the type of paint you favor?  I have been looking into your suggestion of painting my radiators to better match the case, and am curious what type of paint the pros use for PC cases.

daquteness

Depends on level of PRO-ness we're talking about. In an ideal world, it would be powder-coating or anodizing depending on material, that's maximum overkill and costs a lot, but is the best possible quality. Again, this is just to put it out there what the best possible painting options would be (at least in my opinion), it's not meant for computer parts necessarily but is relevant if you have external elements that you want painted, as they need to be able to withstand a knock every now and then.

Coming down to earth though, I prefer Montana for the ridiculously large range of colours and low-pressure canisters, just easier to control with less waste paint but that's a personal preference. Done correctly it will make no difference to actual airbrush application, at least visually. Since PC components are not items to be handled around much, you don't need a massively resilient paint layer but need to be careful when installing the radiators back, 2-3 layers should be sufficient.

Custom Water Cooled Build Log 2 - Radiator Makeover - YouTube This should cover exactly what you're looking for.

Maybe artmods has a few pointers as well?

artmods

Well, It all depends on what you have the room for. I personally use anything and everything, from rattle cans to HVLP. I like mixing my own colors and experimenting with things. I was a professional painter for a while and I used an HVLP  A LOT. So that is what I am most comfortable with, but that is a big cost and you have to know a lot about pressure, weather conditions you are painting in, nozzles, hoses, paint, chemicals and surface prep. But once you learn it you'll have the time of your life and want to paint the whole neighborhood. As far as I know many people will just use rattle cans because it is in expensive, you can get good quality and there are some interesting colors/effects you can choose from. Additionally I want to point out it is not practical to paint a whole case with an airbrush... That is normally a tool to use for details/smallish murals. I would recommend rattle cans.  ...and a good respirator.

daquteness

And a couple of extremely rushed tests (this is not what the mesh is meant for). It's botched, and the blue is not as vibrant and saturated in reality, much nicer colour than in the picture.

Left to right: Clear blue - > Clear blue on top of grey -> Grey

Montana_Comparison.jpg

darkwolfca

i like the blue and blue grey depending on the look your going for both look nice   th eplain grey is ok but doesn't give it a super unique grill look

daquteness

Well... I kinda feel bad in a way now that you're saying that, but I was intending on making the grill either just grey because I was going to shade what's behind it, or just blue shade gradient, the middle one in the pics, from blue on top of grey, to just grey.

I'll have a bit of time next week to paint it, you'll see what I mean, I'll post some pics as soon as it's done.

darkwolfca

its all good man .making something behind it blue works also customize it to what you like it's still a excellent build the computer is a extension of yourself and should represent you no one else

darkwolfca

hvlp is sweet I help a friend run his body shop on the side also so when i need to paint something i take it prep it all and have him use the car paint it works amazing

daquteness

Right, back to the build a little bit before moving house, caught a break today from all other problems and quickly did a pattern test run on a spare piece of metal I have lying around. I honestly like the result but this will be on darker grey background, a bit less obvious but clearly visible in the reflections, I like the idea of changing appearance.

IMG_20171008_173157.jpgIMG_20171008_174816.jpgIMG_20171008_174929.jpg

darkwolfca

very nice color looks reat will really stand out with the grey behind it