4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 10:15 AM by colesdav

Compubench 2.0  N-body Simulation  benchmark on AMD Cards. Compubench will not accept AMD Results to their database. Fix Possible?

colesdav

I am investigating to determine if an RX Vega / Vega FE purchase will give me any benefit at all versus my current card setup Dual R9 Nano(FuryX).
      I have been investigating OpenCL Performance.
      One Benchmark Tool I have been testing is Compubench 2.0.

System used to test Compubench 2.0 =
      CPU: i74790K at Stock Clocks.
      GPU: Dual R9 Nano (Fury X).  At Stock Clocks and Wattman Settings. Crossfire off in Global Settings.

RAM: 32GB Corsair Ballistic LP Tactical DDR3 @ 1600MHz .

OS: Windows 8.1  64bit patched as of yesterday and system checks all fine.
      AMD Drivers: Running 17.4.4. WHQL Drivers for Windows 8.1 64 bit as these are the last available and stable update for Windows 8.1 64bit. 

I had noticed some discrepancies in the results I was achieving on my R9 Nano (FuryX) versus the results in the Compubench 2.0 database and reported this finding elsewhere on this forum.
      Meantime I had contacted Compubench to discuss an issue with the Local Tone Mapping 2K and 4K simulations not working on AMD Cards.
      (This is discussed in another Thread here: Compubench 2.0 Benchmarking Local Tone Mapping 2K and 4K will not run on AMD Cards. Fix possible? 
      During information exchange with Compubench Support they told me the following:

1. The nbody galaxy test simulation is producing faulty output on AMD's OpenCL implementation. It is working correctly on Intel and NVIDIA GPUs.
      2. There was an update which introduced this bug (this was in the old catalyst driver pack), due to the bug the final score is a bit higher on AMD devices (than it should be).
      3. Due to this Bug in AMD Drivers Compubench will not let Compubench  2.0 Users register AMD Nbody benchmark results in their  online Compubench 2.0 database.

Wow.

Great.

So I am now getting less confident that I can either run Compubench 2.0 on AMD Cards, or If I can run Compubench 2.0 on AMD Cards I am not sure I can even believe the results.

Comments anyone?
      Any chance of a fix anytime?

I do not want to get involved in a bun fight between AMD and Compubench 2.0 developers, I just report what I see and what I am told.

I am an owner and user of AMD GPU, and I have been using the Free version of Compubench 2.0.
      I use my GPU for both gaming, creating and rendering graphics, and GPU Compute.
      RX Vega / Vega FE is currently not showing Performance / Power in Gaming improvements I was hoping for.
      I am currently trying to determine what it will give me in terms of OpenCL Compute and Rendering.

Thanks.