66 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2018 8:48 PM by theacclaimed

Vega 64 - 17.8.2 System Hang - Windows 10

ryan768

AMD Graphics Card

SAPPHIRE RX Vega 64

Operating System

Windows 10 64-bit 1709

Driver version installed

17.8.2 (also 17.10.2, 17.10.3, and 17.11.1)

Display Devices

DELL P2415Q 4K (DP)

DELL U2412M (DP)

Motherboard + Bios Revision

GIGABYTE GA-X99P-SLI (F23)

CPU/APU

Core i7 5820k

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

Corsair AX 1200 (1200w)

RAM

G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz

Describe your issue:

After several hours of being essentially idle (web browsing) my monitors will go black or have a single static color, then the system turns off. When I return to Windows, AMD Radeon Settings says that it reset the settings due to an unexpected system crash. The settings are set to the default (balanced profile) and it still occurs randomly. I do not have any problems gaming for several hours at a time (Prey). It appears to happen way more frequently if I have a virtual machine running using VMware Workstation 12. I had no issues before when I was using an XFX RX 460. I ran DDU before installing the latest 17.8.2 drivers. This also occurred on 17.8.1 but I'm not sure about the betas before it. I updated pretty quickly after the official 17.8.1 was available.

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or if I have a defective card, but it seems like a driver problem since I've never had a system crash during game play.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

Added new tested drivers.

• Re: Vega 64 System Hang
          ryan768

So yesterday I decided to turn off "Link State Power Management" as well as change the WattMan profile to "Power Save". It has been a day and no crashes have occurred. I'll need to test some more to see if either of those options did anything.

theacclaimed

I too have observed this behavior. However, I have been running my system with Link State Power Management disabled. I have also been running it in Power Save mode since pretty much day 1. I have only observed the issue two times and it only happens to the system sometime after it has waken from sleep. It never happens after a cold boot.

ryan768

Hmm. I've crashed, rebooted, then crashed again all within 30 minutes before. I never put my system to sleep so that wouldn't be a factor. I'm now testing "Balanced" with "Link State Power Management" disabled. So far no issues but it usually takes several hours. If it doesn't crash all day tomorrow then that is most likely the culprit.

theacclaimed

If I had to guess, the issue is related to the following bug.

• After resuming from sleep and playing back video content the system may become unresponsive on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.

I've run into this bug several times already. The Event Viewer points it to volmgr. My guess is it it's a driver issue with HBM2 clock timing, HBCC bug despite Radeon settings reported it as disabled, something along those lines. I doubt it's hardware since the card runs fine under full load for hours of testing PUBG, Quake Champions, BF1, FFXIV, etc.

ryan768

My conclusions thus far:

1. No crashes with power save profile. Gaming or otherwise.

2. Random desktop crashes with the balanced profile, but no crashes when gaming.

I have no idea if this is a driver issue or not. I'd really hate to RMA my card. I'll open a ticket with SAPPHIRE and see if they have any advice.

whiskey-foxtrot

I'll have to keep an eye on this - so far I haven't noticed any issues (running 2 Sapphire Radeon RX 64's). I am currently running a custom profile and the PCI-e power settings are set to moderate. This system has gone in and out of sleep mode the last 48 hours without any issues.

For now these are running on a basic test system: Intel i7 6700K, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1000W P2 (EVGA), 2 x Dell UP3216Q displays. Once I've deemed the drivers stable enough I'll move it over to Oscar Mike

ryan768

I'm quite certain the link state is not the cause. It's probably my card if no one else is having this issue. I opened a ticket with SAPPHIRE today so I'll see what they say.

theacclaimed

Has this happened after playing any youtube video or using Windows Media Player or Movies & TV? It only seems to happen to me sometime after using any of those applications. Granted I always have seem to encounter the bug with the playback but for some reason my computer is able to recover if it's a video in the web browser. Disabling Hardware Acceleration is a workaround for that but it doesn't fix it for stand alone players like WMP, Movies & TV, and MPC. Only a reboot will fix that.

The black screen unresponsive behavior has only been encountered twice in the 7 days that I've had the card. Both times it occurred while using the computer after a resume from sleep, though not immediately from the resume. I too am using a Sapphire RX Vega 64.

Another thing you can try as a test is to use PCI-e power cables that are separate and not the daisy chained ones. Meaning two separate 8-pin cables that connect separately to the PSU.

ryan768

I never suspend my system so that's not it. It's pretty much random and always occurs with balanced or a custom profile. Sometimes it'll crash when watching YT or when Trader Workstation is running or when I'm typing a message into Steam. My PSU does not have daisy chained PCI-E cables so it is two separate cables going into the GPU. I mean it could be the power supply (it is several years old now), but it doesn't crash during game play which is way more stressful than sitting at the desktop. It crashes every few hours out of the blue when not on power save.

theacclaimed

Does it hard crash forcing you to reset the computer? The time it happened to me, all 3 monitors went black and I had to press the reset button on the side after waiting a minute or two to see if it would recover on its own.

ryan768

Yes, but I have to use the power button to turn it off since reset doesn't do anything. It's definitely a hard lock up. It's not a driver crash that you might get after overclocking.

Edit: I checked the PSU voltages using AIDA64 and everything looks perfect with power save and balanced.

ryan768

I'm sending it back to Newegg for a replacement. I had one crash with power save yesterday so I'm thinking the card is defective. I just hope they have some 64's in stock so I can get the new one shipped out quickly. I'll update this thread after I've had some time with the replacement.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Edit: I actually remember a similar problem with the Sapphire Nitro 380X that I had a long time ago. It was a common problem with that card. I never experienced it with anything prior or after until now (GTX 770, GTX 980, RX 480, RX 460).

gh0st47

Hi was wondering what kind of crash you're getting ? Is your PC locked up and needs a hard reset ?
                                  I've just built my PC few days ago now I'm facing some issues as well. At first it's bad frametime and stuttering in games, as of just now I was playing Titanfall 2 my PC BSOD on me, not even sure if it's a BSOD since my screen was literally BLUE and there's a sound loop....I had to hard reset myself. Normally this isn't a good sign, for BSOD it will usually automatically restart...but I used WhoCrash there was a crash report and it's blaming AMD's Driver being the cause of the BSOD...

I'm running on Gigabyte VEGA 64 Liquid + 1700X. Windows 10 64-BIT.
                                  I was testing this newly built PC with my old Fury before so far it didn't have any issues before ( Was testing to see what's the cause of the stuttering caused by inconsistent Frametime ).
                                  But I was playing other games and did a long stress test with VEGA 64, it didn't crash on me so far....

Now I'm scratching my head whether if it's Hardware related issue or Driver / Software.
                                  I eve re-installed my OS few times already.

theacclaimed

What power supply unit are you using? You need to make sure the 8-pin cables are two separate cables, not both on the same cable that connects to the power supply. Also, you need to have an 850w for the liquid cooled Vega in order to handle the transient spikes that go over 570w from the wall.

For reference I'm using a corsair RM850 and have not had any issues after making the following changes: Switching to two separate 8-pin cables and disabling Hardware acceleration on the web browsers in order to avoid the software bug which is related to this thread.

Here is the Software Bug:

• After resuming from sleep and playing back video content the system may become unresponsive on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
                                        ryan768

The issue you are having seems different. When it locks up, my monitors go black but they are still on. If I wait a few minutes, nothing happens and they stay black. The reset button doesn't do anything so I have to hold the power button. I know what you're talking about with the sound looping crash since I've had that happen before but not with this card.

• Re: Vega 64 - 17.8.2 System Hang - Windows 10
                                        ryan768

I got the replacement on Friday and I haven't had any crashes. It was definitely that card then.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                          ryan768

Got a random black screen again. It took several days to manifest. It's anyone's guess as to what the real problem is.

whiskey-foxtrot

Is this still happening with 17.9.1 drivers? It's hard to diagnose it as it isn't a listed problem or something I've experienced with over 15 RX Vega 64 and 56 installations as of yesterday.

I do get a black flashing screen randomly on one of my Freesync systems, but never on my Dell UP3216Q's. Anyway this is what I do for all my systems: (I'm just mentioning this because it's easier to mention what I've done so far and I haven't had any issues)

1. Ensure Windows is completely updated (new installation or otherwise)

2. DDU (most current!) from safe mode

3. Reinstall AMD chipset drivers on my AM4 based systems (doesn't apply to you since you're on Intel)

4. Reinstall Radeon GPU driver

It doesn't sound like it's related to an issue you're having, but again, I'm mentioning this because I have zero problems, but I pretty much follow this process on all systems:

Power settings: High performance (+ PCI-e Link State Power Management = Off). I turn off ALL power saving features while using the "High performance" profile.

Radeon Settings: For the most part I leave these alone (or at default).

Your case is interesting though. It's fine for a few days then the problems start; it almost sounds like something is failing in your system - the PSU, or other power delivery on the motherboard perhaps? Is your card still on the stock BIOS (ie, you haven't tried to flash another BIOS)?

theacclaimed

It might still be drivers. If it is happening on idle or non-3d load, then it most likely isn't the PSU. For myself, I have had any issues after updating to 17.9.1 so I'm not sure what else to suggest. Maybe it's caused by a conflict with some program running in the background?

ryan768

Still occurring with a fresh Windows 10 x64 install and 17.9.2 drivers. The latest crash resulted in a "white" screen while I was browsing reddit using Chrome. No overclock or undervolt - I used the balanced profile. I'll try with 17.9.3 but I doubt it will do anything. After that I'll need to try a different motherboard, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to borrow it from my friend.

metuz

Think I got the same problem.

Seems to happen more in low demanding games like Path of Exlies and Heroes of the Storm, or just random in Windows browsing etc, but never in Black Desert, or for hours in furmark/3d mark.

My main screen turn black and 2nd white, the sound keep running for a second or 2, and I have to hard reset.

PC Spec

GPU MSI Vega 64

MB: x399 (Asus Zenith)

CPU: Threadripper 1950x

Ram: GSkill-TridentZ-RGB-DDR4-3600-C16-QC-32GB (Running at 3333)

PSU: Corsair HX1200i (Also tested with Enermax Platimax 1500W)

Monitors

LG 4K (3840x1600) freesync DP, Samsung 4K freesync DP

OS

Windows 10 64-bit (did a fresh install same result)

Driver

Tested with 17.9.1, 17.9.2  and 17.9.3

PC is running fine with my old Fury X

molokow

I found the issue for me. I also have a Samsung TV>

The HDMI cable was actually faulty and would shut down the television.

Try a different cable

molokow

Ok OK, I think I got it...

FOr some reason, reset your smart tv and give it a try again.

Something to do with Windows and the television. I found a thread somewhere and has something to do with this.

Give it a go. let us know

ryan768

I have not crashed since my last post two weeks ago. It's possible the drivers fixed something.

ryan768

It just crashed again with the Fall Creators Update & 17.10.2 about two hours ago. I had HBCC on at the time and I've now turned it off to see if that had something to do with it. It was completely fine for weeks with 17.9.3 and 17.10.1. I've been using the Balanced profile so no WattMan changes at all.

mrcleanor

I have the same Problem.

With a Vega56 and basically every driver since relase to 17.10.3 (on Win7 64bit)

The crashes are always with low to medium load!

Like: Playing Hots on a 2600x1440 window and watching videos on the other side of the screen.

Or Overwatch in a 1980x1080p window and surfing the web in the browser in a 1980x2160 window.

The crashes are sporadic and take 1minute to 2 hours. The voltage is low and the gpu has ~180Mhz in Hots and 350-550 in Overwatch with a voltage from 800mv to 950mv.

But Playing in Fullscreen (4k/UHD) the pc becomes superstable with no crashes but takes 1,1v nad has 1200-1500Mhz.

Another strange thing is, that before power saving mode the gpu has 800mv but after it is often 850mv or 900mv.

I was thinking about returning the card but if it is a driver issue i would like to give AMD a chance.

With the 480 the system was superstable before!

So if someone in charge reads this, please fix these crashes.

Thank you

benman2785

simply a faulty PSU - maybe not strong enough or defective

mrcleanor

Tested with enermax 600W gold power supply and 650W bronze power supply.

Both of the highest quality. Both did work with r290 with similar power draw.

The problem never appears inbhigh load situations f.e. gaming in 4k, where a power supply would fail, but only in lower load scenarios so this reason is very unlikely.

molokow

This is possible.

I would suggest going to windows 10, get a digital license.

Another thing you can do is try and post it on Toms Forums

Tom's Hardware Forum

ryan768

Probably not. I have an AX 1200w PSU and I've monitored voltages previously in this thread. Absolutely no crashes under heavy load and it's always with light load just like mrcleanor. Windows version does not seem to matter since I'm on Windows 10 1709 and he's on Windows 7. I also use Arch Linux occasionally and I've never had a crash there, but the packages aren't quite ready for mainstream use so even if I crashed under Linux I would not be blaming AMD or Vega.

I wish I could make it crash repeatedly so I could test with different hardware but it seems totally random.

ryan768

Updated to 17.11.1 to test and crashed a day later.

I decided to swap out the motherboard, CPU, and RAM for a Supermicro motherboard +  E3-1230v3 Xeon. So far no crashes but it can take days to manifest so I'll keep waiting for it.

ryan768

Well I've replaced literally every component including the power supply and I'm still crashing. The only thing I can think of is to RMA the card, again.

shankly1985

Any luck ? I am also getting random black screens when playing games. Its really starting to do my head in. Just when I think I found a fix it happens.

dfeifer

Been getting this issue now for a while as well. The 17.11.4 drivers are much better than the 18.3.2 I just installed. 3 lockups in the past hour. The other driver I think I saw one in 2 weeks. I only seem to get this on windows 10. 10 install is for when I actually have time to game. The rest of the time it is booting in to server 2016 as a hyperv host and I am running 8 guests. when it manifests itself i will hear a 2 second tone, the screens will flash all white once then turn black and the bios changes from 33 to 00.

Running 2 4k monitors, an asus and a Samsung curved i got as a packaged deal with the rx vega 64 on release. I have had issues with volume working between the monitors as well so I've been wondering if the issue stems from a conflict between the monitors and the onboard mb audio. going to pick up a new headset tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

AMD ryzen 1800x

MSI X370 xpower gaming titanium

Saphire Radeon RS Vega 64

32gb corsair 3200

asus pb287q 28"

Samsung c34f791 34" freesync 2

400gb intel u.2

2tb wd data 16tb raid