3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 11:50 AM by kingfish

System Hangs Randomly Win 10 R9 390X

maigrey623

I have been having issues with my system hanging randomly and have narrowed it down to the R9 390x.  It seems the driver randomly freezes the system.  I get blue screens, garbled screens, game stuttering and the entire system freezes.  It happens in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  I have ran Guru 3D as well as the AMD clean utility and reinstalled the AMD drivers so many times, I have lost count.  This has been going on as long as I have had the card... approximately 1 year.  Does anyone have a specific driver version they have been able to use that does not have these issues?  I am currently using the most recent release of the driver.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: r9 390x
          goodplay

Could be faulty card (reports of faulty memory/vbios ? in some cards).

But also if you use 3rd party oc app with wattman enabled was known ? to conflict.

For troubleshooting, you could try uninstalling(reset to stock first) oc app, also reset(and/or disable) wattman.

Another option is to try under clocking memory down to between 1250-1400(if that works, i would contact the cardmaker support, as that would suggest card fault).

Above is assuming you have ruled out other 3rd party software conflicts, psu/hdd/ram faults.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              maigrey623

I have a clean install of Windows 8.1.. no 3rd party oc apps... I have issues with the system freezing when installing the drivers, after the install, and running any application, game or browser.  It's intermittent, random, and doesn't happen consistent to any pattern.  I have new memory and a new hard drive.  The only thing I have not done is under clock the GPU memory.  I will try that next.  Thanks!

kingfish

Is Win8.1 Fully updated?

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Screenshot_31.png