13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 3:28 PM by mferrara

RX Vega 64 displayport 1.2 display 60hz issues with tested cables

mferrara

LATEST UPDATE:  I feel like somewhat an idiot; I have been able to resolve this issue mainly by turning off the monitor completely - usually I have it on and it auto-sleeps after a period of inactivity or no input to the display.  If I leave the monitor on and then turn on my pc, I get this issue.  If I turn it off for a minute or more, then turn it on sometimes even after I have turned the computer on, it will more reliably detect and use the 4k 60Hz resolution.  Still never had *any* issues with my previous cards that are 4-5 years old with leaving the monitor on, and it my research it seems other folks get these types of issues so it would be great if someone would troubleshoot and fix, seems to be a driver issue but that is mostly speculation.

Only very intermittently am I able to get displayport 1.2 4k @ 60hz.  ** usually maxes at 30hz, or sometimes bumps me down in allowed resolution (as checked in display adapter properties.)

I have tried all ports using various cables confirmed working at that resolution with older card... this is a newer card, designed for higher resolution, with supposedly displayport 1.3/1.4 ports... so why am I not able to drive my 4k monitor at 60hz, I am using short cables... not long ones and again they have been tested functional with other setups... so looks like something is wonky.  PLEASE HELP, this really is a killer issue to deal with, I may just sell the card because it is so unreliable.

STILL BROKEN **UPDATE:  replacement card experiencing same issue although not even able to sometimes connect now so I guess it's even worse than before...

Ought to be a "3840 by 2160, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz" Option.

• Re: RX Vega 64 displayport 1.2 display 60hz issues with tested cables
            mferrara

Yes there are tables on Wikipedia that display the Displayport Specs; what that response fails to address is that Displayport 1.2 on that awesome table of information is listed as support 3840 by 2160 at 60 Hz (4k @ 60Hz) ... which is what I'm trying to do, so that only supports the position of confusion as to why this mode would not be available when connecting my RX Vega to my monitor using a qualified Displayport cable.

This issue I am experiencing appears to be related to how the graphics card is detecting the monitor modes - I have noticed the cable "link setting" is varying in bandwidth (inconsistent) and this seems to impede what modes are allowed to drive the monitor.

Again the monitor fully supports 4k 60Hz via Displayport 1.2 connection.  However, I can only get this resolution and refresh rate working on 1 of 3 of the ports, and only using one cable... this compared to when I have used many of my other cables at 4k 60Hz with my older HD 7950 graphics cards with zero issues... So if they supported 4k 60hz using a variety of cables, I would imagine RX Vega would do the same, but yet it has taken me about more than an hour of tinkering with bit-color settings and virtual high-definition mode before the monitor's display adapter properties will allow the 3840 by 2160 at 60 Hz option and again only on one of the ports using on particular cable... it really can't be that sensitive or incapable given the purpose of a graphics card is to connect to a monitor and display graphics on said monitor - so please if there is any information that would be useful please pass along... otherwise I hope AMD engineers can see this because this is a full stop problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            mavericken

I had the same problem with my DisplayPort 1.2 monitors with the Vega 64.  My Fury X runs them at 60hz most of the time, but sometimes they get stuck in 30hz until I power cycle them.  With the Vega 64, I simply could not get any of the monitors to ever do 60hz no matter how many times I tried.  Also, sometimes the entire PC would crash while attempting to power cycle the monitors.  The problem was immediately apparent for me, so I sent mine back to the store.  It is very unfortunate though, as I really really wanted the Vega 64, but running my 4k monitors at 30hz is like buying a Ferrari and finding out it only goes 30mph.

mferrara

Yes I agree 100% and like the Ferrari analogy... I tried gaming 30Hz was terrible... I dont have crazy high standards otherwise I wouldn't spent so much time trying to get it to work... really tried, in fact I received a replacement, retested and that exhibits the exact same issue.  Have spent countless hours at this point tinkering every setting software, hardware-displayport cables/adapters, psu cables, using CRU custom resolution utility... nothing works!   By comparison my much older cards work no problem... If it was a driver issue that could be fixed and I had confidence AMD / Radeon would get 'er done and hook us up... well then I may have been tempted to wait for that... but... as it stands...

I am now returning and will be trading up for a NVIDIA 1080 TI ... Super let down by AMD's Vega release and also AMD entirely ignoring these forums, providing no way to reliably report issues that will get noticed and fixed reliably and timely (Heck even the "report a bug" link is broken - that's irony! ...in the sad-funny way)

I *REALLY* wanted to support them by buying their products but it has been a nightmare of an experience trying to get it to work for what it is advertised for.  What a shame, my previous cards 7950's have been great, was hoping they knew what folks expected from these as a Premium product.  Here I am trying to Give them my Money, and they are just making me Take it Back along with some frustrating experiences.  Hrmmm....

edit: looks like I found a Hacky solution that gets it to load the resolution after I follow a bizarre little software & hardware ritual... ugh, well when the card works it does produce some smooth hi-res gameplay that I definitely appreciate, but having spent days getting to this point was really quite needless and demonstrates a lack of QA/testing on RTG's part that is frankly just silly.  If anyone employed by AMD comes across this, I hope you will appreciate that these types of issues have an impact and AMD does bear responsibility for provide a seamless user-friendly experience... not to be cliche but look what it did for Apple

roid1995

F*ck my 290x work fine in 1440p144hz but my vega stuck at 1440p60hz or 1440p100hz 6bit.

tested with 4 cable and 1 DP 1.3

mferrara

Update time Y'all - I have a somewhat Working Solution! Yayy the pain and misery may be (somewhat) over! 

**Edit** : Still pain and misery, some of these techniques may help but after continued troubleshooting still not entirely repeatable with any reasonable pattern as to why it is behaving so poorly figured out yet... #AMD HELP!!!!

So I dunno if I saw here or somewhere else, but the EDID Display/Monitor resolution-refresh rate Profiles are not being read appropriately.

Here's what you ought to give a whirl and see if this fixes your issues:

1)  Go into Radeon Settings menu

2)  Go to Display

3) Toggle "GPU Scaling" On and Off

4) Power Cycle the Monitor - Turn Off then back On again.

5) a) Either will have correct resolutions available and applied or may have to go to 5b.

b) If not available, use CRU to load profile with desired resolutions and then run the Restart64.exe to restart Radeon drivers and new resolutions ought to be available after restart.

This seems to be repeatable and getting the desired result  maybe sometimes working... so I am *somewhat* happy less frustrated now, still this would not pass the level of Quality Assurance and Testing I would expect to avoid this hassle and headache and needless troubleshooting in *advance*, but I will settle for it working with my mcguyver hacks to account for the broken drivers...

mavericken

Have you tried simply disconnecting the power to the monitor and reconnecting it?  For me the power button on the monitor does not help at all, but actually disconnecting the power basically retries the whole connection process.  I am curious as to whether the more complicated solution is actually more effective.

I feel like this thread would be better off without a marked answer for now.  It makes it seem as though there is not a serious problem here that needs to be fixed.  In my case, I use EyeFinity over 3 monitors, so it triples the complexity of the problem.  Even if I could reach a 50% chance of each monitor working properly after rigging it, the result would be 12.5% chance of success of the EyeFinity group.

mferrara

I agree, I am removing the Correct Answer selection because it has still not been a consistent fix.  Sometimes it seems that after a few rounds of troubleshooting it will just not have any chance, so I've rebooted, which helps but not always. 

I have disconnected the cables yes, that hasn't seem to have a big impact but I know what you mean about sometimes powering off the monitor is not enough... I've had to power off, turn off the master power switch, and also tried unplugging the monitor as part of power cycling ... haven't tracked which routine has been most successful but sometimes it seems as though turning off the monitor will not disconnect it from the GPU, so it seems the graphics card believes it is still "on" and/or connected...

More than anything Toggling the "GPU Scaling" On and Off has helped... but not a silver bullet as it were... still quite shite resolutions and refresh rates being offered.

lancer

If cables are a concern, consider individually certified cables:  https://www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm

mavericken

"Assumed Answered"  Its not, can we fix it?

mferrara

I've removed the "Assumed Answered"; there is definitely a bug and issue with Monitor-Resolution behavior and it would appear AMD is not going to address or fess up to there even being any issue or officially recognizing it - despite many folks reporting the same/similar issues...  I guess providing a working product or support in lieu of a reliably working product is not the priority here :/

The beneficial way to handle it would be to admit "some users are experience issues... and we have allocated engineers to get it fixed"  as well as "here's a temp solution to get around problems".... but instead complete silence, hrmmmm