5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2017 7:08 PM by whiskey-foxtrot

Ram slot issue, bad cpu imc?

n1gel

Hi,

I have 1700 cpu, X370 motherboard and single rank Samsung b-die ram, but I'm still having memory problems. Ram works perfectly in A1&A2 slots just by loading DOCP settings but when I try use B1 or B2 slots I start to get bluescreens/errors in memtests. I've tested these slots one ram stick at a time but can't get nowhere near rated speeds. One stick started to give errors at 2666mhz with loose timings(16-18-18-18-36, 1.35 volts) and second at 2800mhz after I tried to tighten the timings. I've tried to change ProcODT, Dram voltage, SOC voltage and timings, but nothing seems to work. Weird thing is that settings that works today, may not work tomorrow. Slot A1&B1 or A2&B2 dual channel only worked at 2400mhz last time I've tried. Ram is recognized correctly and usable in all ram slots.

I've tried two different motherboards now(Asus Prime X370 Pro and CH6) with same problems, so I'm starting to think it may be related to cpu's imc. Is there an easy way to confirm this? Ram seems to be ok since I ran HCI memtest over 15 hours without errors in A1&A2 slots with these settings: 3200mhz, 14-14-14-14-34-48 and 1,35 volts. I've checked cpu pins and they are straight.

Do you think my cpu could be faulty?

Cpu: Ryzen 7 1700 stock clocks

Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO (1501 Bios)

Ram: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 DIMM CL14 Dual Kit (QVL supported)

• Re: Ram slot issue, bad cpu imc?
          qwixt

I have been looking into perhaps building a new ryzen 7 based machine, and I was researching how many DIMMs I should get for 32gb. From what I read, 2 DIMM slots if you want to OC, and with 4, it's either not possible, or you have to get very lucky. Maybe B1 and B2 are part of the same problem.

• Re: Ram slot issue, bad cpu imc?
            whiskey-foxtrot

It seems that you're trying to make too many changes all at once.

I've used this memory too (F4-3200C14D-16GTZ) without having to mess with ProcODT. As for the memory itself, the timings you mentioned (14-14-14-14-34-48 @1.35V)  should be sufficient. Can you try BIOS 1403 instead without also trying to OC the CPU. Just focus on the memory first. I've noticed some other instabilities with 1501 and I would generally advice against using this if any issues come up.

So on a clean BIOS (reset cmos), only add your timings, command rate, and DRAM voltage and test it out.

qwixt On my main system I use 32 GB G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZR (4x8GB) without ANY issues. My system specs are here: Oscar Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful