5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 5:29 PM by _blackbishop_

Ryzen 1600 Asus Rog B350 P State No Boot

izrailsky

Hello, i have asus rog b350-f gaming and ryzen5-1600. Recently i decided to try p-state feature to optimise  power saving of overclocked cpu.

I started with p0 state and everything was fine, i also noticed that clearing cmos does not affect p-state's and to reset them i had to load optimised defaults settings.

After setting p0 state i tried to change p1 and p2, just changed p2 from 1550 to probably 1300, dont remember exact value, all other settings like voltage and did  was on auto. After that i cant boot anymore. Led and fans start as usual but no speaker sound and no any image on screen.

How can i wipe this pstate settings? Are they saved in bios flash or in some other place? If i will manualy reflash bios rom with spi programmer, will it help?

I am sorry for my english,  hope for your assistance.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Brick after changing p-state
          whiskey-foxtrot

Was there a reason why you also adjusted P1 and P2? Generally you just need to set P0 in conjunction with your stable offset. You would get these from your own testing of previous manual OC numbers.

As you saying that you're unable to reset your CMOS with the onboard function (unplugging power, removing battery till the system is drained)?

izrailsky

Yes, i know. It was working fine with p0 oc state  apart from the fact that, at low load, the prozessor did fall into p2 state bypassing p1. So i decided to edit them a little.

II can reset cmos but it does not affect on power states. I ve read on forums that's only way to reset them to default values is load optimised defaults setting in bios. Clearing cmos, unplugging power etc do not work. I have suggestion that that states are flashed in some bios region that is not affected by manual cmos reseting.

Also i found this thread [Bios mod] Asus ROG B350-F Strix - Page 2 where at least 2 users confirm that setting low voltage in p0 state can brick board. But i did not touch vid settings at any of the power states. Probably frequency that i set is out of spec so it act in same way..

whiskey-foxtrot

Last I knew, changing the VID/DID in Pstates was ignored. You could only set the HEX/frequency. Perhaps that was recently enabled? I'm not sure about your motherboard, at least on mine it was still ignored with the 1403 BIOS (less than 2 months old).

I'm actually learning from you here Try to unplug GPU/mem etc systematically? If you have a friend with an AM4 board, try testing the CPU/mem there just to rule those out.

Your problem is actually also in reverse of what was happening with the Crosshair BIOS': it would "forget" about all Pstate values at random which was quite annoying. In your case it keeps them in? Anyway, if clearing the CMOS via normal means does not reset the BIOS, you'll have to either have the board tested, or arrange for an exchange where ever you bought it from. Unless of course you are familiar with SPI de/programming in which case I don't think you'd be asking about it here. You'll need all sequences, master code and finally an option to write the image again. Either way I don't think you'll find much help in regards to doing that here.

izrailsky

On this board you can change VID for every single state but in the case of changing any of vid's CPU will not work at p0 state. So you should set frequency only and all voltage control should be done using AI tweaker tools. I just wanted to know are a-states stored in spi flash or not? And now i ve found that they are. Fixed my board using smorework station, promini programmer and adapter from 3 to 1.8v chips.  Hope asus will do anything with this p-states settings because probability of killing motherboard with just one single setting  is  ridiculous

1 of 1 people found this helpful