Issues with my Fury X

jargon

System:

• AMD Graphics Card: AMD R9 Fury X
      • Desktop or Laptop System: Custom-built desktop
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
      • Driver version installed: 17.3.2
      • Display Devices: 1x Dell U2414H over HDMI
      • Motherboard + Bios Revision: Asrock Z97 Extreme3, American Megatrends P2.00
      • CPU/APU: Intel Core i5-4690K
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage: Corsair RM550 550W
      • RAM: 2x8GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue
        • I booted up my system almost 24 hours after the last time it was running, and opened a Youtube video in Chrome. In the middle of video playback, the display suddenly went black, but the audio continued to play. Hotplugging the HDMI cable and turning the display on and off did not bring the display image back. I hard resetted the system and checked the Windows event logs, but could not find any errors or critical events for when the display blackout occurred. A few hours later, while running nothing but a web browser with a few buffering Youtube videos, I start to hear the Fury X's radiator fan spin up. I check Wattman, and see that the temperature has risen from a typical 40 degrees Celsius to 68 degrees. The fan speed continues to rise, and goes pass 3000 RPM. I restart the system, this time through Windows, open the browser with the previous tabs, and monitor Wattman. The temperatures continue to rise again, at about 1 degree Celsius every few seconds. This is unusual behavior, considering that the clock speed is only fluctuating between 300 and 700Mhz.
      • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)
        • Chrome build 60.0.3112.101