5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2017 10:47 PM by spikeypup

I have the same problem with 17.8.2 as I did with 17.8.1. That being after I boot to desk top my screens go black. Win 10 64bit on a intel 4770k processor with 32 gigs ram and a XFX R9 290 Black Edition card

elminster

So this problem started after doing the 17.8.1 update. After boot to desktop then screens go black. So did rollback on driver problem solved. Then 17.8.2 comes out and supposedly fixes that problem. I update to 17.8.2 and still have the same issue of black screen after booting to desktop. So did the rollback again. Anybody else still having this problem?

• Re: I have the same problem with 17.8.2 as I did with 17.8.1. That being after I boot to desk top my screens go black. Win 10 64bit on a intel 4770k processor with 32 gigs ram and a XFX R9 290 Black Edition card
          kenyomurabu

I  think 17.7.2 & 17.8.1 broke the GPU's, & 17.8.2 fixed the problems with the previous drivers,

but can't undo the damage that was already done...

If my GPU brakes, i'm not going to be happy...

I have a simular GPU like yours, mine is an Gigabyte R9 290X Windforce 4 GB VRAM GPU with Double Heatsink...

& my GPU crashes when I play Games, as of the last few drivers...

• Re: I have the same problem with 17.8.2 as I did with 17.8.1. That being after I boot to desk top my screens go black. Win 10 64bit on a intel 4770k processor with 32 gigs ram and a XFX R9 290 Black Edition card
            guarno

Yep i've got the same problem.. have a r9 390x and black screen when starting up games.. game works because i hear it in the background.. but no visuals.. getting really frustrated over it.. even uninstalled everything with ddu and updated the 17.8.2 from 0 and still no improvement..

spikeypup
              Boot-Up / Sign-in Screen problems?  Read On!

Black Screen During Game/App?  Go Directly to last paragraph, although the others are still quite interesting if I do say so myself! 

Hiya Elminster,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the drivers, there certainily is a bit of bugginess in this last few sets, but AMD is working on it as fast as possible.  As for the screens going black, I noticed you said "Screens" plural.  Can you please detail to me how many, their sizes (roughly is fine) and connection method (HDMI/DVI/DP/VGA/Etc). 

Out of curiosity, did you happen to install one of these monitors AFTER the driver installation?  Also, did you choose to do a "Clean Install" when installing the drivers?  It is sometimes imperative to have the intended displays that will be hooked up after installation of drivers, to be installed and hooked up prior to the installation.  This is not a problem with AMD driver installation per se', it actually has to do with Display Enumeration and Desktop Setups within the WDDM and Windows subsystems.  During pre-boot and leading to the sign-in screen Microsoft uses the Basic Display Renderer built-into windows to handle the OS choice screen before it gets handed off to the sign-in screen, the problem with that is, if you install a new monitor while the AMD drivers are installed and the MS Basic Renderer is no longer present in the system (as it shouldn't be), then windows references the setup you had while the MSBDR was attached to displays, but alas!  That setup (configuration of displays and locations/resolutions/positions/etc) doesn't exist, because you have a new monitor connected, it is now a configuration it hasn't seen, and stupidly, more often than not, all screens then show as blank, sometimes you can see your mouse, sometimes not.  I could go deeper into this problem but it probably won't help to dive into the nitty gritty of it. 

There is a workaround for this on boot-up, once you know the computer is booted to a certain degree, like you think the sign in screen should be there, go ahead and hit WIN+P (Windows Key + P) and press Enter.  Wait a second, your displays should arrive, if not, try it again, but before pressing enter, press the "Down Arrow" key then press enter.  Once windows is loaded, try it again and you'll see what you were doing with those key combos, essentially telling windows how to handle the multiple displays.  This is the workaround for Boot-up.  The FIX should be doing a CLEAN INSTALL of the drivers, while ensuring all monitors are connected, and ON during the uninstallation, and installation all the way to the end.  Now if this doesn't fix it, it is possible that this is a lingering driver issue, or that your display enumeration registry branch is saturated with way too many displays and configurations.  To clean that up is safe, but it is tricky and I'd rather not dispense that advice until we get more things figured out...

To perform a clean installation, simply download the appropriate driver package that you want, DO NOT USE DETECT AND INSTALL/AUTO INSTALLER.  Once you have downloaded the driver package, unpack and start the installation, select the corresponding driver to use, then do not select "EXPRESS INSTALL", Select instead "CUSTOM INSTALL", select all the items you need, then select the option below that says "Clean Install", this will completely remove all AMD software and components, allow MSBDR to attach to displays, reboot, then it will resume installation again this time overriding MSBDR with the AMD drivers.  Once that is done it will ask if you would like Relive or not installed (Depending on your Card, requires GCN Based Card), make your selection, then a final reboot is in order.  Your sign-in screen should appear as normal.  Please note that if you had AMD Chipset drivers installed for your system/mobo, you may wish to download the chipset driver package from AMD and install those again as they may have been removed during Clean Installation.

For those experiencing black screen bugs where the screen goes black or stops producing action but you can hear sound, or the sound starts to stutter then video fails, those are generally TDR issues, that occur when the program or game that is rendering is no longer able to communicate workload properly to the GPU.  This is a KNOWN issue at this time since 17.7.1 and is still persisting into 17.9.3 and is being investigated heavily for a fix at this time.  It is NOT just AMD, NV users are reporting  similar issues, not quite as many but still reporting, and some of this IMHO has to do with some changes that MS made to the WDDM, DDI, and GDI systems/models in windows, which is why this wasn't just an easy code fix.  Rest assured AMD is aware, and is working quite hard to resolve this with developers and Microsoft.

Spikeypup