11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2017 1:05 PM by ray_m

RX 480 BIOS flash driver problem

jhrr

Hello there and sorry for my bad english advance.

My setup: Win 10 Pro x64, i5-6600k@4.5, ASRock Z270 Pro4, 16DDR4, RX480

I'm looking for help cause I searched many forums already and found nothing useful for me.

When I tried to update my RX480 bios (via ATIflash (latest)) to improve my memory timings (for better Witcher 3 fps), something went wrong. Flashing process done correctly, but verification gave me 01FL error. I rebooted the system, got black screen. Meh. Add a jumper on a first and eight pins of the BIOS chip and reboot the system again.

Okay, we have card back alive, POST screen, fail-state in ATI flash, flashing the card with the old BIOS, the new bios, the any bios i can fit to it - no effect.

Card won't plug into the system - radeon control center, driver won't start ("radeon settings are currently not available", in system device manager card have error 43).

How can i fix this?

In GPU-z i have 0Mhz Cclock and Memclock, "off" on checkboxes Opencl and Directcompute, but I can download my BIOS via gpu-z interface...

I already tried DDU, clean install, older version of Catalyst.

Card directly plugged into my monitor via HDMI. iGPU turned off. PCIE primary. RX480 my only one card in system. Video output from RX480 are working (i wrote this, right, huh?), so, it's very likely, pure driver problem, cause i can flash any BIOS without a hitch and can upload it to my HDD from card.

Have no idea what i should do next. Any help, please. I'm stuck.

Count for your assistance, with respect, J.

• Re: RX 480 BIOS flash driver problem
          ray_m

The drivers will not support any RX400 and higher GPU which does not contain the original factory installed BIOS.

hotrith

Well you seriously should search some proper info for that, and flashing the architecture polaris 10 to polaris 20 that is known on internet, is not 100% guaranteed that will work on every model, it should be not done and if you think of doing it, you should wait for the warranty end and have some money on pocket in case something goes bad.

Here for sure you wont going to have support for that.

jhrr

Thanks for you reply, hotrith.

Tried this, flashing bios from RX580 (MSI, Powercolor, Giga vendors with OC and without). Even if BIOS flash goes correctly, drivers still won't work.

hotrith

I should not do this, but... the way that you can fix your graphic card is, find other graphic card, same model and similar construction date, backup the bios from the good graphic card and flash to yours, (dont use the good graphic card when you try to fix yours), it should work like this and restore to the factory settings. Dont try to flash it again when you dont have sure that is going to work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        jhrr

Hello, friend. Your post was very useful for me, and now I explain why. Yesterday I borrow the prog-thingy for BIOS chips from one my miner friend, who killed more than one his card, lol, unsolder chip from a plate and reprogrammed it with RX580 BIOS and new timings forcefully but w/o tricks with voltage. Seems like on my system, or on my particular card (idk) ATIflash can't flash mem voltage correctly, so vmem and cmem constantly fails, cclock 300 and driver for some reason can't recognize card properly.

Now all works like a charm, Futuremark tests are passed correctly on all spectrum of cclocks, Witcher is smoother than ever (not really so, lol) and i even thinking about cryptomining hysteria, on my single rx480 (no, not really).

Thank you for you advice again, mate, you pass me to a right way!

2.JPG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    ray_m

MODERATOR NOTE:  I am glad to see you have resolved your issue. To help keep this post on topic and help other with a similar issue, I am locking this thread.