23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 2:45 AM by cammelspit

17.8.1 - 17.9.1 SEVERE driver bug. PC Unusable!

cammelspit

BEWARE, Driver version 17.8.1 is severely bugged and should be avoided at all costs. I have an R9380 and it causes a full-screen green screen upon starting Windows and that fully locks up the PC. I booted into safe mode, used DDU and reinstalled same result. I did that again but installed 17.7.2 and everything went back to normal. This is 100% absolutely the driver's fault and if you value being able to boot your PC at all, I would highly recommend you avoid this release until this can be fixed. Thank GOD my CPU has an IGPU or I would not have been able to get into Windows at all to be able to run DDU and revert the driver.

i5 6600K @ 4.5Ghz | R9380 4GB @ 1010 Mhz | 16GB DDR4 @ 3 Ghz | Windows 10 Pro x64

UPDATE: Tested 17.9.2, issue still exists. The last functional driver release was 17.7.2

Message was edited by: Kevin Connolly

• Re: 17.8.1 SEVERE driver bug. PC Unusable!
          kingfish

Haven't seen a lot of posts like yours....then again, I have a R9 290:

Screenshot_6.png

cammelspit

You are probably right. I am not saying a lot of people are going to have this problem but it still might be a good idea for people who can, wait. AMD has usually had pretty rock solid drivers for me, I kind of expect this sort of this with nvidia but not AMD. Well, the community has been warned!

ray_m

Your's is the first post reporting this issue. This is a not a common situation  at all.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      cammelspit

Yeah, I get it. I don't know of a better place to report bugs and such. I am more curious if any others with a 380 are having this or if it is just me. Funny, it's been since, maybe 1998 since I had a card from the red team have anything major crop up. In my book, their track record has been pretty stellar. I'll be willing to bet it has something to do with maybe not as thoroughly testing it. Maybe trying to push out the new driver because of all the new cards and such that are happening right now. Though, I find it odd to see that under the new driver, my TV thinks the HDMI cable is DVI. With the flickering thing with those Samsung monitors and free sync, maybe something there is happening my card just doesn't like. Either way, reverting fixed it and my TV sees the connection as HDMI again. I guess I will just have to wait and see if the next revision fixes this for me.

waltc

Yes, I installed 17.8.1 this morning and it went perfectly--no problems at all--Windows10x64 Preview build 16257.  I always choose clean install as I think that continuously installing one set of drivers right on top of another is OK every now and then, but making a habit out of it should be avoided.  As well, the maker of DDU himself advises users *not* to use DDU every time they uninstall a driver--as there's a chance it will remove files it shouldn't, etc.  My own experience in that regard is that it's been years--can't remember the last time I had trouble with either the stock Catalyst/Crimson installer/uninstaller routines...I think I used DDU once in the last 10 years, and that because of installing one driver directly on top of another.  But that's only my experience, of course.  Clean install simply automates uninstallation of the previous drivers followed by installation of the new driver.  I like the idea a lot--and my only wonder about it is what took AMD so long to automate that process...;)  Now that all of the function from the Catalysts--and then some--has been incorporated into the Crimsons, what's not to like?...;)

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                          locodicegr

I have R9 380 and I DONT HAVE any problems at all with 17.8.1..

Use DDU (latest version) and re-install 17.8.1.

kenyomurabu

I agree avoid 17.8.1...

I dun think it fixes anything from the past Update, it only makes things worst...

Because my PC was crashing in Games right after boot up durring Update 17.7.2......

Now with 17.8.1 I can't even get the Catalyst to even Open normally anymore at all...

And Games still continue to Crash...

This Update isn't fixing things, it's making it worst...

AMD R9 290X Windforce 4 GB VRAM...

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit...

elpusher

For me 17.8.1 are performing worse than 17.7.2

I tested several games.

sharkhunt

Hi, i have the same issue, by playing warhammer total war. If i stay to long, the green screen appears and i need to trn off on the power button. My grapphic is r9 380x. i hope amd fix this issue

jaynasty

I've had issues with the 17.7.2 driver and the 17.8.1 drivers not properly loading at startup on my system. I get the windows Blue screen with error atikmXXXX something like that every time I shut down my system and restart it. I used DDU and am returning to 17.7.1 and I have no problems at all.

Windows 10 Pro

CPU FX 9590

16GB Ram  

Sapphire RX 480 8gb.

elstaci

By any chance are you running any 3rd party software like MSI Afterburner?

cammelspit

Yeah, I was at the time but only for fan curve. I then turned it off entirely before I did anything else. I did not actually uninstall it but I also don't have the overlay software installed because it does not function properly with the Steam overlay and since I use the Steam Controller literally every day and they do not play well together.

cammelspit

17.9.1 was attempted to be installed this afternoon. Instead of a green screen I now get a solid black screen. AMD, you guys really need to get this fixed somehow. Is there any logs or whatever I can grab and link here? Is there anything I can do to help?

• Re: 17.8.1 - 17.9.1 SEVERE driver bug. PC Unusable!
                                    goodplay

17.9.2 now ?(guess i'll see that tomorrow in my time).

You know old afterburner builds no longer work with new drivers. Before you uninstall it make sure to reset to stock, delete saved profiles and,

afterburner uninstall.PNG

No probs on my 390.

• Re: 17.8.1 - 17.9.1 SEVERE driver bug. PC Unusable!
                                      cammelspit

Dang it all to heck... So, I went and even though I couldn't find my USB stick I went on ahead and did my requisite backups and then used W10s built in reset feature. For anyone who cares, I HATE doing this and always would just rather go and reformat my OS SSD but anyways, I did it. Now, guess what version of AMDs drivers I am on?  17.9.1... I know I know, everyone says it can't be their PCs since everything else works but seriously, I have done so little except just install Steam games and maybe run some old classic games I installed off of my USB DVD drive I keep around just in case I am feeling nostalgic. I can NOT believe that it was some kind of Windows shenanigans causing this. Damn, i HATE Microshaft. I had genuinely intended to install Linux on this machine and use Windows in a VM with PCI passthrough just because I could next time I went to reinstall. Without my USB, I had to kinda of just go from what I had available and that is just stinking Windows.

Man am I torqued off by this but then again, I have had to deal with M$ and their shenanigans for the last 23 years since I got my first PC so whats a little longer among enemies?

1 of 1 people found this helpful