6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2017 6:55 AM by zitrix

Computer (Laptop) freezes and makes a buzzing sound when streaming video

zitrix

Hi!

I recently bought a new laptop, an ASUS X555QG-DM013T. My problem is when I stream video online, sometimes, seemingly on random, the whole computer freezes up and makes a buzzing sound from the speakers, it is probably the sound from the video that is repeating really fast, at least that is what it sounds like, after a few seconds the computer goes back to normal and the video continues without any problems. It is the same for Youtube, Netflix and HBO-Nordic, it feels like it happens more frequently at HBO-Nordic (they use Flash, don't know if that have something to do with it). It doesn't matter which browser I use, it is the same with both Chrome and Firefox. I have tried a few things to try to fix it or find out what the problem is:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the AMD-drivers and Crimson ReLive with DDU and my antivirus and firewall turned off. I have tried different versions, both the official from AMDs website and the drivers from ASUS support site (I have done this a couple of times).

I have run the DISM and SFC tools.

I have updated all my drivers from the ASUS support site.

I have updated BIOS from the ASUS support site.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player.

I have tried to disable hardware acceleration in the browser.

I have lowered the maximum CPU frequenzy to 80% (this made a slight difference, the freezes happened a little bit less frequent).

I have done a stress test on the CPU with CPU-Z (let it run for about 20 minutes).

I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to test the RAM.

I have run the PassMark BurnIn Test.

None of this have fixed the problems, nor have any of the test showed that something is wrong.

Something that did make a pretty big difference is that I added the Firefox exe-file as a game in ReLive, this made the freezes much less frequent, from that it sometimes happened every 3 to 5 minutes to maybe every 25 to 30 minutes, sometimes more, I have tried to change some settings for Firefox in the Game menu in ReLive, but it doesn't make any difference. I did run the Profile OverDrive in ReLive for Firefox but it didn't show anything when the video froze.

This problem only occurs when I stream video, it never happens when I play any games. I don't know if it happens if I play a video file on the hard drive, I don't have any to test.

Specs

AMD FX-9800P Radeon R7, 12 Compute cores 4C+8G 2,70GHz

AMD Radeon R8 M435DX (Discrete)

Crimson ReLive 17.7.2

ASUS X555QG

8GB DDR4 SDRAM

512GB SSD

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I appreciate any suggestions or tips of what I can do, or if it's a hardware error and I have to return it.