1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2017 11:52 AM by haridas.vikas@gmail.com

Ryzen Threadripper 1950X & Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Evaluation

gkeawe

So far the 1950X performance is outstanding. It's currently paired with an Asrock X399 Taichi motherboard. This mainboard is an affordable full featured motherboard that will serve the 1950X well.

winsrv2016dc_on_1950x_tr.jpg

• Re: Ryzen Threadripper 1950X & Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Evaluation
          haridas.vikas@gmail.com

I've got the same mobo and CPU setup for a simulation rig. Encountered a lot of issues to just get Windows Server 2016 Standard Eval edition installed. USB bootable installation wasn't possible, it turns out Microsoft states its windows 10 and Server edition setups do not support split wim files since that file in particular is over 4GB for Windows Server 2016 to fit into FAT32 for GPT, so I had to install Windows 10 and then upgrade on-top of that.

During the initial installation process after the first reboot it would get stuck at the ASRock logo during POST and would not budge. Resetting the system boots back into Window 10 with the error message "0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I had to disable a bunch of devices/features like on-board WiFi AC, Dual Gigabit Ethernet, HD Audio, SATA controllers, AMD-V etc to get the installation process through to completion. The main and only drive was the 960 EVO SSD on M.2. After the installation I tried resetting BIOS to UEFI defaults and that resulted in the ASRock boot logo freeze once again. Now I have to figure out one by one exactly what device(s) is causing this issue.

Did you face similar issues during your Windows Server Datacenter Eval installation? Thanks a bunch!.

UPDATE:

Turns out my issues were all down to IOMMU being enabled. This had to be disable for installation to proceed normally. I was able to restore UEFI defaults and only disable IOMMU to let WS 2016 boot and allow error free reboots there after. This doesn't affect my needs as am I not looking to utilize virtualization features on the system however the loss of IOMMU capabilities for now will be bad news to few others.