hi folks,

I've have a

Dell XPS 8700

Windows 10 64

Intel i7-4790 16GB

Dell ST2220L(Analog)

with a

AMD Radeon(TM) R9 270

gpu for two years. For most of those 2 trouble-free years I was using the CCC driver.

Last week I was playing Team Fortress 2 on Steam and I got patterns of colored pixels on the screen and my computer locked up. It happened a couple of times playing TF2, so I ran a dell video test and it crashed  (first with a thread stuck in device driver stop code and then system service exception code).

Since then I've been following the advice in this and other forums.

Ran several dell diagnostics which were okay.

Did a memtest86 and it was okay.

Made sure my drivers were up to date.

Upgraded my driver to Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2

That's when the fun started. After that upgrade I boot to the Dell splash/start page and instead of the Windows login page I get a black screen.

There's nothing I can do to get it out of the black screen - I have to restart in safe mode. (I tried to follow some instructions to login to windows blind but that doesn't work).

If I uninstall the amd driver I can normally start up my computer.

Since then I've done several clean reinstalls (using DDU). After one cleaning I tried the AMD Minimal Setup, the legacy CCC driver and I found the original Dell-supplied driver driver (ADM HD7870) which still gave me a black screen.

Right now I'm using the Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor. It allows me to use my computer for work, but not for games :-(

As far as I know, I did not update anything or change anything before this started.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Bill

• Re: Blank/black screen
          goodplay

Sounds like you are using W10 Home edtion.

If so, go to tenforums.com >Tutorials index, start by looking for & modifying

autoupdateCapture.PNG

windriverCapture.PNG

There may be others i'm not up to date with ?

Only 1500+ tutorials to read.

• Re: Blank/black screen
            roemer_v

Hi, I have something similar.
            Only because of the black screen on startup, I can never get back in the Windows menu. Now I don't see any possibility of starting up, not even in safe mode (to then undo this upgrade).

I've tried the startup flash drive and Win10-iso on dvd, but both end in Win10 failure messages and auto rebooting.

In short: every attempt ends in the same black screen with a circle of moving dots and a mouse cursor which I can move around. But with nothing to click on, that's not much help....

Any ideas on how I can enter safe mode? Or otherwise circumvent using this graphic driver which causes all my trouble?