AnsweredAssumed Answered

Bandwidth - PCI & CPU

Question asked by boston_hike on Aug 18, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 11, 2017 by amdmatt

I give up! Sorry for the rant but her it goes: I've searched YouTube and some of Google with no luck. I'm probably asking the question incorrectly, though. So this is my first go round building a PC and I was told I need to be weary of PCI lanes...or bandwidth...or threads...idk, these terms seem to be interchangeable at this point. My current understanding (probable misconception) is that the CPU has a set number of PCI lanes. And the same can be said for the motherboard. And by use of wonderful mathematicals, we can combine the two numbers to reach our max number of threads.

So lets take this for example: I have with me a R7 1700x and an Asus Strix X370-F Mobo. The R7 has 16 threads. I don't even know how to find the Mobo chipset lane count...Anyways, my friend made it sound like if I chose a lesser Ryzen chip and a b350 mobo, I wouldn't be able to optimally run any SLI or Crossfire due to too few threads. He made it sound like the lanes of the CPU is combined with the mobo lanes and I can only get a set amount of devices before I run out of threads. But then how are so many people just throwing 3 GTX 1080ti's onto little CPU's? Ugh, I hate this. The moment I think I have a grasp on it all, I have to worry about lanes...

I am not really looking for a dictionary definition with this. Try explaining it as if you were explaining it to a noob, possibly through analogies. Maybe provide a little table or method to find how many threads I have and how different devices affects them (m.2, gpu's, sound cards, etc.).

This is what I'm working with:

-Ryzen 7 1700x

-NZXT Kraken X62 Cooler

-Asus Strix X370-F Mobo

-G.Skill DDR4-3200MHz RAM

-Corsair 120GB M.2 SSD

-WD 1TB HDD

-Corsair HX750i PSU

..As for GPU, I currently have Asus Strix GTX 1050 ti (got it dirt cheap and only have a 1080p TV.. QHD, 144hz monitor to come). Future plan is to run 2 GPU's of GTX 1080, RX Vega, or equivalent...most likely Vega.

Thanks!

Outcomes