11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 8:23 PM by spikeypup

Video Driver stops working

jlfranklin28@yahoo.com

Ok. My drivers just recently updated and now playing overwatch i play for a about 10 mins and the game crashes. in fact the blizzard crashes all together. I get a display driver stopped working message.

Window 7, 64 bit. I7, r7 240 gpu

attaching driver message.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers.

• Re: Video Driver stops working
          spikeypup

Hiya Jfranklin28!  Hope your evening is going well.  Please be advised that Blizzard is AWARE of the issue and is working to correct the regression, as I'm sure AMD is also working on it and possibly with developers such as Blizzard to find a solution as quickly as possible.  Please see the following Blizzard article regarding the issues.  If you feel the issue is different, please post another message and let me know.  Thanks!

Crashes on AMD Cards using 17.7.2 Drivers - Overwatch Forums

Cheers!

Spikeypup

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jlfranklin28@yahoo.com

I tried that when I did then Overwatch couldn't read my card.

spikeypup

Jlfranklin28,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with this situation.  Please be aware that AMD is still working on the issue as is Blizzard.  I myself suffer from the issue of "Video Renderer Lost", similar issue, while playing Overwatch.  The problem is intermittent and doesn't seem to have any major root cause or conflict that is easily visible at this time.  While I'm confident that the issue will be resolved in the next WHQL rollout of the drivers, I of course cannot guarantee that that will be the case.  However, there are a couple options you may wish to try:

1. Reinstall drivers again using 17.8.2 Optional/Beta, using DDU or without, if without then select CUSTOM INSTALL during AMD Installation, and select "Clean Install".  Then proceed as usual.  If you typically apply Overclocks, I would suggest trying everything in the drivers at their default settings, ala playing Overwatch right after the final reboot of the install, WITHOUT making any modifications or changes whatsoever to the drivers.  Be advised that I am currently on this version, and experience this bug still during default and with overclock modes active.

2. Downgrade to another driver revision.  Although not WHQL certified, 17.6.2 was by far the most stable for me in the past months, now this may not be the case for all, but many others have had success with these drivers in all aspects of system operation, with and without overclocks active.  You can download this version in the link I have provided below, again follow instructions as per step 1 of this message, just using this installation package instead of the newer 17.7.2-17.8.2 driver set.  Once complete, again test without any overclocks, check for artifacts and stability.  If stable, then you can try to apply overclocks to enhance performance and again check for stability.

17.6.2 Crimson Optional Driver Download:

Download 17.6.2 Link

Again, sorry to hear about your issues, continue to check for further updates on the AMD website for driver updates as well as any news or info in the forums, we'll always do what we can.  Let me know if this works out for you, if so be sure to mark the answer as helpful and as the right answer, as this may help others out while searching the forums with similar issues/search patterns.  Thanks!

Spikeypup / Patrick

jlfranklin28@yahoo.com

Thank you very much. The issue is frustrating.

spikeypup

I totally agree, but it is what it is, I mean somewhere there are going to be drivers that are stable for either you or me, like I said for me 17.6.2 was stable as a rock, but I really like the performance enhancements and features of 17.8.2. so I'm just dealing with the instability until the next round of WHQL.  As per usual you should continue to submit problem reports with the wizard and also submissions on the website via "Report Driver Issue" page/survey.  Every little bit helps.  Let me know how things are going and if you need any help with anything else or the same issue, I'll do what I can.

-SPIKEYPUP / Patrick

spikeypup

Jlfranklin28,

How are things going?  Have you tried the 17.9.1 Optional Drivers?  If so how are they working for your situation.  Please note that the ongoing issue with Blizzard/Overwatch is still in process and both sides are still working to resolve the issue.  My feeling is that it is the same issue that is preventing me from streaming with OBS, the render thread just simply stops for no reason, and poof everything goes dead and you get a TDR.  I've even tried a 30 second TDR delay, and the renderer never recovers, so I believe this issue to be linked, and once they finish up on the Blizz/Overwatch issue, then my issue should be fixed too.  Random thread loss should be fixed, and all will be happy...just a matter of when.  I've lost so many subs, and it saddens me, because I haven't been able to stream in months, but I'm patient and I don't wanna rollback like I said because the performance is so much better after 17.7.1, but I'm getting close to a no choice situation, my subs have suffered too long, and so have I.  Doesn't affect my opinion of AMD at all, they are doing the best they can, and that is all we can ask.  Law of equal exchange my friend, to gain you must lose.    Good luck, let me know how it's going and if I can help out.  Cheers!

Patrick / SPIKEYPUP

spikeypup

Any news on your situation?

jlfranklin28@yahoo.com

No nothing. I am curious if its more of a windows 7 issue

spikeypup

Honestly chances are it is still issues with the drivers, the issue with OW and other titles is still in the works for fixing, so we'll just have to hold on a little bit longer...

Sorry to hear you are still having issues, I am too, so I like you are eagerly awaiting the next fix. 

Cheers,

Spikeypup

jlfranklin28@yahoo.com

yeah new drivers made it worse now the games are so laggy and still get the display error after a while. was running 50 to 70 fps on med settings now its in the teens then 70s then 20s then 50s so forth

spikeypup

As far as I can tell 17.6.2 still offers the best stability across the board for all my testing, and I've also tested all revisions since on many separate systems of varying types (APU-A7/AMD Discrete R9, APU A-10 ONLY, R7/I7, R9/I5, RX480/I7, RX580/I7) and all the drivers beyond 17.7.1, itself included, are giving me various thread failures in the driver resulting in TDR or BSOD from GPU comm. loss.  When using 17.6.2,  I do not experience these issues, on any of the systems, when anything over 17.6.2 then I experience and can replicate the issue on ALL of the systems I mentioned.  The problem is indeed hard to pin down to be honest, it definitely has to DO with the drivers but may not exactly be the driver's fault...because if it were, I would have found that out already, if I knew exactly what the root cause was, I'd scream it from the mountain tops, but my work is pointing  in many directions, it's confusing and frustrating and so far I cannot narrow it down enough between the various layers, you have to remember, drivers are just one piece of the display puzzle in windows, you still have to deal with the DDI, GDI, HAL, WDDM, Kernel, DWM, etc.  so far my research points towards something wrong with the Video Scheduler, but I can't and won't say that for sure.  And even though the GPU scheduler does it's own thing, it's not the only thing in charge of the workloads, and that is what is making this difficult.

If you haven't tried 17.6.2, please give it a whirl and see if it works for you.  If you did, and are still experiencing such issues, then I'm not sure where to go from there.  Let me know...

Spikeypup