46 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2017 10:03 PM by yoshimatsu414

What's happening with these Drivers?!

yoshimatsu414

I've posted on here many times before about issues with these last few drivers and seems like it's not getting anywhere but here I got again!

Ever since after driver 17.5.2 these driver releases have been a mess, I have an RX 470 and I even have another friend with RX 480 that has the same issues I'm having. One of the main issues is in the video I've posted here: Crimson 17.7.2 Driver Acting Up... - YouTube

This is not the first time this has happened and this issue has been happening since after 17.5.2. I thought it was fixed with driver 17.7.2 but it's been coming back up again. It's just been happening less frequently then with 17.6.x drivers, it was happening almost instantly for me straight from boot. Before this happened just now, all I was doing is playing FarCry 4....the game froze up and crashed and then, the screen started tripping out like this.

I'm getting real tired because the last couple months, the drivers have been a complete mess for me and I know I can't be the only one. I want to upgrade to these because some of the recent drivers have some fixes for things I use but if the drivers keep crashing and doing stuff like this, then these drivers are useless. I have no overclock or anything like that, please tell me this is a known issue or something because issue has been around for a couple months now and I'm pretty disappointed that this has not been fixed yet.

Specs

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.45GHz CPU

Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 Mobo

Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R Mem

Asus Radeon RX 470 Strix GPU

Thermaltake ToughPower RGB 750W Gold PSU

Windows 10 Creators 64Bit OS

Samsung U24E590D with DP connection (tried HDMI 2.0 too) Monitor

• Re: What's happening with these Drivers?!
          goodplay

One day you might post INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION (Authored posts), so someone may offer possible suggestions.

(not me, no rx4xx)

keysersozegr

From what i have seen from your video in youtube, you are having a faulty video card. It is not a software issue like AMD drivers etc. Your are having hardware issues.

Check cable connections between your video card and your monitor and remember that your PSU should have enough power and that it is not faulty.

But, my best guess is that your graphics card started to set sail for a "better place" in the paradise of video cards!

Ps.  AMD drivers v17.7.1 have no issues. They are safe drivers even if they are not certified!

yoshimatsu414

This is actually my second RX 470 from Asus, I RMA'd it before. My previous card was doing something similar but was just crashing my whole PC completely. It wasn't even stable at it's stock clock speed.

Now the reason why I'm suspicious of the drivers right now is because this card I jave now was fine on 17.5.2 (the current driver when I got the new one), I can put it back right to 17.5.2 right now it'll be stable. But once I go 17.6.1 or up, this is when these problems start to happen. I also have a friend with a completely different card (RX 470 Red Devil) that once he got on 17.6.1, had the same issues.

Now, either all RX 4XX gpus seem to have a high chance of being faulty or something in drivers triggers this "faultiness"? If that even makes sense.

I have 750watt plus80 Platinum PSU so i don't think that should be the issue. Also I wouldn't thonk that having a loose cable would cause my game to crash and then the picture to do that.

Like I don't it be the driver's but to me right now, it seems like it is. So if I rma this for the 2nd time and its happens again, and I go back to 17.5.2 and it's not happening, this should be proof enough I think...I just want this problem solved. I've been dealing with issue with this card ever since I got it a while back ago now this is tiring me out. I like the performance if this card, especially for the $150 price I got it for at the time and AMD driver features like FRTC but it would be nice if I didn't run into annoying issues like this when using it.

keysersozegr

Are you sure that your video card is not overclocked? Sometimes, there are 3rd party programs that overclock your graphics card automatically without your knowledge if you are not so much keen on observing things in detail. Have you reset your BIOS in its default state? I mean everything. You may have overclocked your CPU or your RAM for example. Just put everything in their default state. Do you have another monitor to test it?

Look, the 17.7.2 drivers SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLED BY ANYONE! This is a fact but, all other drivers until the 17.7.2 should work. That is why i am telling you that, if it isn't about overclocking something in your system, there is definately some hardware issue with your PC. Can you give your case/PC for a check? You have nothing to lose, right?

Ps. Also it doesn't mean that because you bought another 470 RX from the same company that this shouldn't be also faulty. I know that the chances are somewhat far fetched but you may be dealing with the same "bad batch"

Pss. Have you noticed any flickering in the bios/reboot process or only in Windows?

dreamager

I think you'll need to be more specific with system info and symptoms. Is your friend having the same issues or are they unrelated? I have an RX480 on win10 x64 and everything works fine. More info is needed to see what the problem/conflict might be

yoshimatsu414

Same exact issue with picture of the screen glitching out. He has RX 480 Red Devil and I have RX 470 Strix, both on windows 10. I have Creator's update though, I don't think he does. I have Ryzen 7 1700 and 16GB RAM on a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3. I don't have anything running in the backround that interferes with the GPU like OCing software or anything.

As I said only thing that we noticed that made the problems spark was 17.6.1. I thought 17.7.1 and 2 fixed it but it's been periodically crashing games randomly since the recent driver released but defintely not as frequently as 17.6.1. First 2 times I ignored it because I though maybe it was something up with the games I was playing but weird thing is, everything seemed fine but when I would restart my PC Windows notification would show up saying Wattman reset, I didn't even set anything in it. Then just yesterday I noticed the screen started messing up again after the game crashed like it did when I installed 17.6.1 the first time....I did do a clean installed of this driver and used DDU as well the second time I clean installed it.

dreamager

What do you use to connect to your monitor? People have had problems with cheapass DP cables and the like (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/732502-screen-flickering-what-is-causing/ for example). There's a chance newer drivers make worse cables not cope as well as they had previously

yoshimatsu414

I do have it connected with a DP cable to my Samsung 4K Freesync monitor but I'm using the cable it came with and I dont think it's a bad cable. Its kind of thick and it's gold plated and even has the little hings that lock it in place, if those things are anyway to gauge it's quality...

I've even tried connecting my PC with my HDMI 2.0 cable like a week ago which I also think is a decent quality but even via HDMI half the screen flickers black sometimes...now all the time.

This same thing happened with my previous RX 470 which was on my previous 1080p 75Hz Freesync monitor that I had connected with HDMI.

The only difference was before on the previous GPU I was using the driver before 17.5.2. When I received this GPU I have now, I started on 17.5.2 and everything was fine. This is why I'm assuming it's driver issue because that was the only really changing factor.

spikeypup

Have you tried 17.6.2?  I can't even use OBS right now under 17.7.2 but I like the new feature set, even though Forza crashes on me non-stop and my baseclock is acting very strange since this, but MS also did CU updates that affect low level system things and busses, that could be another thing in the mix, it was all bad timing to be honest, a complete new driver rollout at the same time MS does some crazy patching, and then hotfixes quickly thereafter.  If I downgrade to 17.6.2 I have solid performance and streaming on my RX480, but 17.7.2 is a little pokey dokey here and there, Early Adopter Syndrome, it's an option, not a requirement.    Check out 17.6.2 and let me know, also please try to post your specs, that would help greatly, we all want to help, but it's hard without a legend on the map, or absent a map completely   Thanks!

Spikeypup

yoshimatsu414

I put my specs in OP but waiting for change to approve but these are my specs

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.45GHz

Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 Mobo

Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R

Asus Radeon RX 470 Strix

Thermaltake ToughPower RGB 750W Gold

And yes I have tried 17.6.2. More stable then 17.6.1 but still had this same issue with that driver. The last really stable driver I used was 17.5.2 but I didn't want to keep it because there are some issue with Freesync and borderless fullscreen weren't co-operating on it and I play some games like that and also Forza Horizon 3 was just broken and I was playing that a lot back then. One of the drivers after 17.5.2 was suppose to have fix Forza and Freesync according to release notes but I still had that Freesync issue so I'm forced to play those games in exclusive fullscreen if I have freesync on if I don't want stutter in those games.

Seems like I can never use these features without some type of problem. Like another example with FRTC, I use my 4K TV sometimes to display my PC. The TV obviously doesn't have Freesync but my monitor does. On my monitor I set target framerate for games no problem with Vsync on and everything is fine. So let's say there is a demanding game (Hellblade is something I've been playing a lot of recently) and I want to lock framerate to 30FPS to keep it smooth. On my monitor it's no problem with FRTC, just set it and good to go. On my TV though the FRTC I set doesn't work, framerate still sync at refresh rate. After a little messing around I find out turning off VSYNC ingame allows FRTC to work on my TV. And I tested it to make sure; if I turn off Freesync on my monitor, I also have to turn off Vsync in order for FRTC to take effect. This unfortunately creates nasty screen tearing.

No where in Radeon settings does it say that I HAVE to disable Vsync for FRTC to work or have Freesync enabled to have Vsync on in game

pozzo2014

I think posting your specs firstly would help.

I also agree that the drivers have been nothing but headaches for me recently. Crashes, lags, now mouse stutters. AMD has noticed some of these issues. I have submitted report to that end.

killabudz

Completely agree. Went from locked 60 fps Fallout4 modded ultra everything to averaging 35fps with settings lowered to high. PUBG I had to lower all settings and I still get black screen GPU crashes that requires hard reboot. Weird lighting glitches and massive fps drops in both. Overwatch runs like a steaming turd.
                                Prev reply says "Look, the 17.7.2 drivers SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLED BY ANYONE!" LOL AMD dont give you a frickin choice to install another, no previous drivers available through crimson etc, have to go to a 3rd party site to download previous drivers. I feel like AMD is really trying to make me regret even considering going red team. Guess I will make this card into a miner, tell everyone AMD are not worth the hassle and go back to the green team.
                                Oh yeah, i5 4590 with 24gb ddr3, SSD, XFX GTR Black Edition RX480 8GB, win10

yoshimatsu414

I'm appreciating the responses everyone sp far but I've been dealing with these issues for not too long after I bought it sometime later last year so I've tried a lot of things.l I do like this GPU but it seems to be like these issues showed up for sometime before 17.5.2 and then after. I'm so fixatated on that being a driver issue because thats the only thing that makes sense to me at the moment unless I really did get another faulty GPU from Asus after the RMA but in that case, how am I suppose to know which RX 4xx card is good because my friend is having the same issue, completely different brand, Intel CPU and all that.

I was long time Nvidia before buying an RX 470 GPU and I don't really remember having any crazy issues like this. I think  the last AMD GPU I had was a 4870 (After Geforce 8800 GTS) and even then I do remember having some driver issues so I wouldn't be surprised if it was that unfortunatly....

yoshimatsu414

Ok it's doing it again. I came home from work and turned on my PC because I was about to do a little gaming and then the screen started flickering black on me. So I restarted my pc (smh) and then once my PC got to the Windows 10 login screen, this started happening: AMD 17.7.2 drivers again smh.... - YouTube

When I logged in it stopped but it is probably going to happen again.

And I actually forgot to mention a few details the first time, this problem doesn't happen while I'm playing a game, ever, it only happens when I'm on desktop. My game will crash to desktop some rare times and the desktop will be flipping about like that but never during gameplay. Also something usually has to be moving on the screen for it to started artifacting like that.

Let me remind you, this has been happening through two graphics cards and 3 different monitor's so I've tried that. Even hardware has been different, right before my Ryzen CPU I had this GPU on an FX 8320e.

nattramn

Asus GPUTWeak don't work,Hellablade - don't work,mouse cursor has lagging, WTF AMD? Old video drivers has working. Check this please amd!!!!!

yoshimatsu414

I was notified of this thread: https://community.amd.com/message/2818452#comment-2818452

This guy was going through an issue that I've also experienced as well and could be related. Some people supposedly found a solution to the issues by going through the registry and all that and another person just straight up completely removed the drivers and allowed Windows to install what ever generic driver Microsoft has solved his issues. I may give that last one a try but I feel like we shouldn't have to do all this fixing, AMD should be.

I'm clearly not that only on complaining about how unstable these drivers are, yet nothing fixed yet and this thread I linked was also from late last year!

benchart

Basically that generic driver is just an old driver.
                                            This might be a problem between your GPU Bios and the new drivers.
                                            Drivers sometimes change stuff, it's normal, but AMD changes stuff based on their reference, third party like MSI, Asus, Gigabyte change a lot of stuff with the GPUs, clocks, Vcore and not always is stable.

I clearly remember that many R9 280 and 280x users using Asus had a lot of problems, this was due to unaceptable Vcore values, most of the users had to flash the Bios with a custom Bios with either different clocks or different Vcore values.. Many others never had any problem.. So it's like Russian Roulette.

I also had troubles with my Gigabyte HD 7850, but was fixed with a new bios available on their website.

My personnal sugestion is to check if Asus have a more update bios available for your card, they might already had fixed that issue.
                                            If you don't find any newer bios available or anything like it.
                                            Try to raise or drop the Voltage of your GPU in hopes to see if that fixes it or not.
                                            This is not a first time this happens with Asus and other brands with other series.

Cheers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                yoshimatsu414

OMG Benchart, you might be onto something. I actually haven't checked for a new BIOS version since I've RMA'ed this card some months back.

I just went to Asus site for my GPU and I do seen an update from 6/17 and it says "improve card stability". I will give this a try, I really hope that this may solve issue.

THANKS!

I'll report back on this....

yoshimatsu414

Unfortunately so far I don't see any change. I just had my PC black screen crash and restart on me twice in a row about 5 minutes apart from each other. One while just on the web browsing and the other while attempting to play some CSGO smh....

I rather not go messing around with the the voltages because I feel like I shouldn't have to do that for my GPU to be stable out the box but looks like I might mess around and see how increasing voltage a little bit fares. AMD should know that people buy the third party brands and compensate for that somehow in their drivers. The drivers on these thirdparty sites are old and I think drivers straight from the manufactures of the card should work FINE. Don't mean to throw shade but, Nvidia does their drivers fine somehow....why am I getting all these issues from these AMD cards????

yoshimatsu414

Update:

So I was still having issues after I updated the BIOS of my GPU. I decided this morning that I should just clean out the driver again and then reinstall the 17.7.2 drivers. So far so good, haven't had any issues and I've been on my PC a lot today, gaming and browsing and such. I'm going to keep on going about my business and hopefully nothing happens. If it's the case that nothing happens anymore then I guess the BIOS update is at lease the solution to my stability problem....That is just the solution to one problem with these driver releases though because there are definitely other issues besides the stability.

ambrose

Hello,

This is just an opinion, but when it comes to GFX driver updates, treat them like a Bios update for your OS, ONLY do it if it going to apply a fix to something your are having an issue with, otherwise don't do it. Same for GFX drivers if you playing games and or having good working conditions getting an extra 5 FPS with a newer driver is not going to add anything to your already working environment or gaming experience.

IMHO, Ambrose

P.S. I wonder if all the users of W10 are giving M$ as much $hit for not having their OS play nice with other stuff as they are at giving AMD $hit for trying their best to have their driver releases play nice with an already flawed OS like 10.

yoshimatsu414

Yeah I definitely agree with you on that 17.5.2 was the last stable driver I had but it's a couple months old with its own issues that needed to be fixed besides stability. The last few driver's fixed some issues 17.5.2 had in games and features that were broken that I use, although they fixed these issues half way, from what I lesrned after installing.

So I installed these newer updates because they, supposedly, fixed some other issues that I had. 17.6.x drivers where completely unstable for but 17.7.x have been more stable but still less stable than 17.5.2.

So far updating the BIOS for my GPU has made things very stable for me and is starting to look like it's good solution for the stabilty issues I've been having with my GPU and these recent driver releases. I'm not coming to a conclusion just yet and say that was my solution because I want to get a little more testing out of it before I do.

tylerdurden2

Be happy that you're running that awuful Windows 10.

On Windows 7 this driver draws a 'nice' black rectangle onto your

Desktop for a split second every 5 minutes. Real pretty to look at!

See my post here: https://community.amd.com/thread/219360

And I havn't even fired up one single graphic application yet,

let alone a game!!! :-((((

yoshimatsu414

Wow, that's ridiculous...

This needs to get fixed, clearly there is something wrong with some many people having glitches like this and not being able to find a solution besides rolling back drivers to an older version. To me thats not a solution.

Newer driver version should be getting progressively worse each release smh especially with people saying they are having unsolved issues on this forum, probably everyday.

kenyomurabu

I dunno what to say, my Bios is from ASUS Motherboard, & the Bios hasn't been Updated in some time, I just checked last night, nothing has changed...

My GPU has crap Drivers from Gigabyte, so I use AMD's Drivers instead... Because there is way more Options availible...

This is rediculous that these Drivers were working in 17.7.1 just fine, & now 17.7.2 sucks...

Why must I role back my Drivers, this isn't right, we need these Drivers fixed...

I don't use 3rd Party Tools, either...

yoshimatsu414

Finally the answer for this glichy screen nonsense has been foiund. I guess Asus picked upon that their GPU becoming unstable with newer driver releases and fortunately made a new BIOS to fix it's stability. The last couple days since I installed updated BIOS, I've had no issues anymore like you see in my videos anymore or random freeze ups

Hopefully everyone else that is having this issue is able to find a BIOS update thst fixes stability of their GPU. If what Benchart says is right, its unfortunate the AMD doesn't take into consideration the non reference GPUs and then we end up with weird issues like this. I'm pretty much DONE with AMD GPUs right now just because Radeon Setting and the ridiculously high probability that your get a new driver that will cause your GPU to be unstable is very upsetting. I don't want to sit here troubleshooting things almost every other driver release.

AMD really has to think about the condition they release not-optional drivers because to my assimption I thought the non-optional ones were suppose to be the stable ones yet there are littlr bugs all over the place in Radeon Setting smh.

I will continue to report bugs through Radeon Settings for as long as I have this GPU (might not be for much longer). Hoprfully AMD well actually start fixing some of these issues that we vome across soon!

Thanks for the advice Benchart!!

ucouldbrong

Have you completely uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them?

benchart

I'm glad it was fixed.
                                                                  Altough, I don't know if the fault is coming from Asus or from AMD.
                                                                  So it's a little hard to judge if where the problem is coming from, but Asus usually have a lot of this problems with AMD.

yoshimatsu414

That's the problem though, its not only Asus. I have a friend that also has has this issue with these newer drivers and he has PowerColor RX 480 Red Devil. I've seen a few other people with MSI cards too with this issue online.

What's messed up is that PowerColor doesn't have a BIOS update for stability fix like Asus does. Hope some of the others have BIOS fixes like Asus does.

benchart

That sucks then :/
                                                                          I suspect that this might be related some times with the lack of overclockability of the cards..
                                                                          Usually third partys like to push the cards a bit, and as we know not all the cards can deliver those clocks at 100% of the occasions.
                                                                          I think the green team usually don't have too much of this problems because pretty much all the cards seems to have a usually a higher room to overclock than AMD.
                                                                          But it's hard to guess. I'm just firing shots to the air...
                                                                          I had more Nvidia GPUs than AMD GPUs until now. So far I was unlucky with 2 nvidia cards and one ATI, so I think both of the brands have it's on problems sometimes :/

ucouldbrong

ONLY cards that I have that failed were NVIDIA.  NEVER any AMD fails.  AMD seems more dependable hardware and the drivers ALWAYS end up reaching their full potential...eventually.

yoshimatsu414

This GPU isn't even factory OCed out of the box, only way I was able to apply the factory OC Asus set was with GPU Tweak and AMD broke the support for the OCing software we use in one of the last couple driver releases....so everything on the GPU was stock.

I think I only ran into an issue on an Nvidia GPU when I had a GTX 260 216 core lol. But they fixed it like the next driver release and Nvidia releases drivers more frequently so it wasn't that long. I think one of the drivers was causing BSODs on Vista or something like that its been while lol.

Key word is that they FIXED it....

Speaking of OCing though. I got confortable enough with the stability of the RX 470 now that I decided to start OCing it for like the first time. I got a nice and stable 10% OC out of it using Wattman. Added 40mV to each state and only +10% on the powerlimit but it there is definitely a perfomance increase in games I play so far. This makes me want to keep the GPU but the fear of upgrading to a new driver thats suppose to fix things but makes GPU unstable is too strong smh..Plus the Radeon Settings issues like FRTC being being weird, Freesync causing crazy stutter in some games, they keep breaking Relive Recording, game profiles disabling sometimes for seemingly no reason, and some other things...

yoshimatsu414

OK.......installed 17.8.1 because it fixed the long load times in Forza Horizon 3 (which I still play) and a couple of Freesync issues (finally) but guess what....issues I have videos I have posted in this thread came back! Didn't do a clean install, just did a regular upgrade. Played Far Cry 4 and then when I exited the game, the desktop was glitching like crazy!

You really can not tell me that this isn't a driver issue now. AMD what is going on when I do a driver upgrade?!

I'm able to duplicate the issue just be playing Far Cry 4 and then exiting so far which is worse than before, it didn't always do it. I've tried it 3 times already, happened every single time so far......

Update: So far only FARCRY4 it's happening with...as of now smh...I'm so confused. I don't understand I thought I was done with this....