10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 11:39 AM by colesdav

So, Vega...

black_zion

All I will say is: The Misunderstanding - Presented by AMD - YouTube except with AMD in nVidia's position.

It's the HD 2000 series all over again.

• Re: So, Vega...
          bearcat22

You going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 or sticking with 10?

black_zion

Windows 7 has a year left to live and lacks NVMe support, and Windows 8.1 is not supported by AMD, so I'm going to have to stick with 10.

colesdav

I thought Windows 7 extended support ends January 14, 2020.
                  I know that AMD dropped GPU Driver support for Windows 8.1 32 bit and I know there are no 17.7.2 Drivers in Windows 8.1 64bit yet
                  but I thought (hoped) that was just because of Vega release pressures on the Driver Team. 

I have decided to give up on Windows now and I have been running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for a while now.

I am looking into this as well: https://level1techs.com/article/ryzen-gpu-passthrough-setup-guide-fedora-26-windows-gaming-linux
                  Cheers. 

colesdav

If you do decide to try usinng Linux instead of Windows 10 make sure to watch this ...
                      "Linux Sucks... For the Last Time" - 2017 - YouTube

qwixt

Linux is great for its intended purpose. Gaming can be a bit of a pain to say the least.

black_zion

Gaming is the really only thing holding Linux back, though with Vulkan that should change in the near future. Between OpenOffice/LibreOffice, PIdgin, and browser based cloud software, your productivity is taken care of, and the home user Linux environment is much stronger than it used to be, so there's no real need to compare and contrast versions (no QT/GTK arguments here). If Linus would create a Google Play style centralized app store that all the distros could use, it'd break open the market to everyone, no command prompts, no compiling, just a point and click interface like Windows and Android (Linux), simple enough for tech novices to use, but still retaining the advanced ability for true Linux "geeks".

colesdav

It is getting much better than it used to be.
                                There are an increasing number of new Window Linux Titles on Steam ... the games I have seen run fine.
                                I totally agree that WINE is a pain to set up and use.
                                There are some Linux only games, designed to work on Linux only, and they are generally pretty simple.
                                With Ryzen & Motherboards supporting GPU Passthrough then running Windows 10 Games on a Virtual Machine should be a pretty reasonable gaming experience. Vulkan could be a massive improvement in terms of Gaming on Linux.

I am not happy to use Windows 10 as my main OS any more.
                                The only Linux OS I have seen that looks to be potentially worse than Windows 10 so far is Ubuntu 666.10.
                                I will not post a link ... you can look it up in a search engine.

black_zion

I forgot they did extend it to 2020, but still it lacks NVMe support, and there's no telling when Microsoft will make the Zeffy patch ineffective.

colesdav

If you do decide to go for linux, then NVMe passthrough is supported and working according to the level1techs video above.

So if you do not want Windows 10 as your main OS you can hide it inside a Virtual Machine on Linux and still get high performance of the NVMe SSD and (and your GPU using GPU Passthrough) ) through to the Windows 10 virtual machine.

Bye.