5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 10:05 AM by ray_m

It's such shame for the AMD that when we want to go the Windows 8 or 10 with the Radeon X 1400 such we have to use such complicated way to achieve this!

donecek

This is a very complicated direction how to enable the Radeon X 1400 graphic driver on the the Windows 8 or 10.

Why the AMD company can't take more of a care and fix up this problem for us who are using our old beloved computers?

I wish to be doing this way but I don't know if I'm so able when still I can use

This is made by a clever man on the Microsoft community website:  Anyone have any luck installing ATI Mobility Radeon on Windows 8? - Microsoft Community

For those interested, here is my workaround:

1.  I replaced the HDD with another one that I had just lying around.

2.  I installed Win7 on the temporary drive and installed updates to all the device drivers via Windows Update.

3.  I shut down the computer and then put my original, intended HDD back into the system and installed Win8.

4.  Connected the temporary Win7 HDD to the system via a USB SATA wire.

5.  Opened the Device Manager in Win8 and updated the "standard" display driver manually, directing the application to search the /Windows folder (and sub-folders) on the Win7 drive.

6.  Win8 then discovered and installed the ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 properly.

I think it is just ridiculous that this roundabout method is required to install a GPU that is already fully supported in Win7.  I guess Microsoft's every-other-OS curse continues: From ME, to Vista, and now to 8.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.