5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 7:45 PM by curtisjw

My Display Drivers seem to be acting up or are completely messed up for no reason...

curtisjw

Hello!,

So about 7 months ago I got a new laptop from Amazon. Completely new and for the first few months worked great!

Just gonna paste the whole title and specs here:

ASUS Laptop A555DG-EHFX AMD FX-8800P Quad Core (Up to 3.4 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD AMD Radeon R7 Graphics + AMD Radeon R8 M350DX Dual Graphics 15.6" Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

• AMD FX-8800P Quad Core (Up to 3.4 GHz)
      • 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD
      • AMD Radeon R7 Graphics + AMD Radeon R8 M350DX Dual Graphics with 2 GB GDDR3
      • 1920 x 1080
      • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
      • DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW

But later on, My friend told me my display drivers weren't updated and that I should do that. I went to but when ever I did it wouldn't work. We thought it was because of windows to wasn't up to date either so I checked and we found that it wasn't updating after he Windows 10 Creators Update. Every time I tried updating it either crashed or went to 100% but then said I needed to install that same update yet again. I called windows support and after a few hr dilemma, We managed to get my computer completely up to date and running. But when I went I tried to get to the Radeon Graphics Control Panel (Right click on the desktop at the top of the options menu) It wasn't there.... Completely vanished.

So I went to device manager and tried updating Both the R7 and R8 drivers and either updated themselves and said they were up to date, but when I pressed update again it did the exact same update. Then I looked over and noticed that the little green check next the driver's icon has a warning sign. Then all hell broke loose. I turned on my computer after restarting it and my screen constantly blinked. 1 second a black screen the next the desktop and that continued. The resolution on the computer also constantly changed to 1080p so god knows what...

So I had enough and went into safe mode. I deleted all the drivers from my computer and gave it a fresh restart. It looked like the drivers were up and running. So I finally went to the control panel and... oh wait, IT STILL WASNT THERE!! So I went over to AMD's site and it told me to download the Catalyst software. So I did and it checked my drivers and said it needed to update. I clicked the ok button on the software and that same warning on the driver's icon appeared and my screen yet again began to flash. So I went back into safety mode with some other software (AMD driver uninstallation software as well as official third part ones from the help section) and did yet another clean delete on those drivers. This whole process went on for 3 or 4 times when it finally decided to all work! the control panel was up and running and everything seemed fine! then I turned off my computer and went to sleep.

The next day to my "astonishment" the control panel was yet again gone... and when I tried installing it said I needed to update the drivers. The warning reappeared but the computer didn't f***k up again. Actually when I went into device manager and updated them from there the warning went away. and when I looked back at the update for the control panel it gave me an Error 1603. I went into the help section and followed the steps provided to try and fix this but the error still seems to be occurring. I said f**k it and lived with out it for a while but now for the past few weeks whenever I'm on youtube my computer blue screens. Just youtube and other video streaming sites and nothing else. When I'm on skype with friends, playing games or on a simple site. It works just fine. But like 5 or 6 hrs (definitely less sometimes), the video I'm watching freezes along with the screen and I get a blue screen.

I have absolutely no clue what to do and I was wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on what to do to try and solve the problem. Sorry for the long post by the way. This was sort of both a Rant + an in depth explanation to what my problem is.

P.S. I also seem to have a problem with games actually acknowledging I have two Graphics cards. In This PC properties, it only says I have the R7 the same on a Third Party software that checks my specs to see if It can run games or not. Everywhere I look it seems that it only acknowledges the lesser of the two and I want to use the R8 to get less lag.

Thank you for reading and/or your help!

Curtis Wohlman