8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 10:31 PM by leyvin

Sudden issue with RX 480 8GB artifacts and crashing/flickering (Please help!)

goretast

As the title says, I've been having a sudden issue with artifacts appearing and browsers and games flickering/crashing when running. Notable artifacts are seen in World of Warcraft and Hearthstone will crash when trying to join a game. Here is a picture of the artifacts that I'm seeing in WoW and generally everywhere else: http://prntscr.com/g6px82. Black pixel boxes with high frame drops. I made no changes to my computer before this. I didn't overclock, add anything to my PC, and didn't make any drastic change. I've experience nothing like this before back when I overclocked and pushed my card to it's limits.

I don't see any artifacts in my BIOS screen.

So what have I tried to fix it?

• Older driver after a clean uninstall caused no change
      • Recovering to a point 3 days before this issue
      • Redownloading Windows 10
      • Cleaning the dust from my PC and GPU (Fans spinning fine)
      • Added new thermal paste to my GPU
      • Checked my registry for errors
      • Did sfc /scannow with no results
      • Did a memcheck with no issues found
      • Updated my BIOS
      • Updated all other drivers
      • Ran multiple antivirus programs (no issue found)
      • Tried downclocking my GPU via wattman
      • Played around with my display settings
      • Checked my temps via speedfan. Everything was average.

I'm losing my mind, please help!

Quick look = https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GJLkzM (Only change is my RX 480 is a reference model)

Desktop/CPU/GPU

Radeon Software Version - 17.7.2

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz

System Manufacturer MSI

System Model MS-7A11

System Type x64-based PC

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2.90, 4/27/2017

SMBIOS Version 3.0

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480

Device ID - 67DF

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 0B37

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1002

Revision ID - C7

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16

BIOS Version - 015.050.000.000

BIOS Part Number - 113-RX480-8GB-H1266M8G-W80

BIOS Date - 2016/09/23 06:46

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 2000 MHz

Core Clock - 1266 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 256 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 8.00 Gbps

Board

System Manufacturer MSI

System Model MS-7A11

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU Default string

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2.90, 4/27/2017

Monitors

I use two monitors. I am not using eyefinity for these:

2 Acer - H6 Series 23" IPS LED HD Monitor @60 Hz DVI to DP

1920x1080 resolution (Reccomended)

PSU

Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Message was edited by: Adam Richardson

• Re: Sudden issue with artifacts and crashing/flickering
          goretast

Still looking for help here. The problem has not been resolved.

• Re: Sudden issue with artifacts and crashing/flickering (Please help!)
            goretast

Been playing around with my drivers and I've found that I have no artifacts when I have no AMD drivers at all, but if I add any driver (Tested latest, last working one, and 16.9.2) I see the artifacts again. I'm even able to play games with low fps no drivers while I can't even do anything with the drivers? What's the issue here?

• Re: Sudden issue with RX 480 8GB artifacts and crashing/flickering (Please help!)
              goretast

Little disappointing I'm not getting any ideas or thoughts on what should be done here besides to RMA it. I've tried a few new things, like clock blocking and so much more, but still nothing.

I have noticed that when I use MSI to track my GPU activity it hardly moves from a range of 0-10 or will spike to 80% activity for half a second then fall back down. This occurs on desktop and in games. I also checked inside my GPU again and noticed the thermal pads were torn, but still attached and would combine when I put the card back together. Would that alone be the issue? Should I replace them?

• Re: Sudden issue with RX 480 8GB artifacts and crashing/flickering (Please help!)
                  leyvin

The Microsoft Basic Driver merely uses your Graphics Cards as a Throughput and is instead Software Rendering via the CPU.

There are two possibilities for the Visual Artefacts.

either

A • There was an issue while upgrading the Crimson Drivers (which remains Resident)

Given (and I've said this a lot recently) both AMD Crimson Drivers (Graphics to 17.7.2 and Chipset to 17.30) and Windows 10 have recently received major updates there is a distinct possibility that there was a corruption that occurred due to all updating the system at once.

As such, it would be highly recommended to first use the AMD Clean Up Driver Utility to FULLY remove all AMD Drivers, including the Downloads and C:\AMD\ Directory they Pre-Install to. Run a System Clean-Up to remove all Temporary Files. Then Download and Install Fresh.

If this doesn't work, then you may have to Reset Windows 10... allow it to fully update before installing 3rd Party Drivers.

Remember Windows 10 Default Installation will Automatically Install the last Crimson Catalyst Driver that they have on the Windows Driver Server... which I believe is now 16.9.0.

I'd update using the Major Release Drivers incrementally and seeing if the issue returns.

B • The Video Memory (one of the DIMMs) has contracted a fault and needs to be replaced.

In fact this type of visual artefact is extremely common with Long-Term Overclocked Memory at Frequencies it was never designed to operate at.

Always be sure if you plan to Overclock Memory to pay very close attention to the Registered Timings the Memory itself reports. (There are various tools, that allow you to view what type of DIMMs and Memory Timings are available) As incorrect timings even if they're below the Maximum Rated Settings can actually do more damage to the Memory than a Higher than Rated Clock that is inline with the Timings.

Now a way to check this is to force an Under-Clock of the VRAM to a known Stable Clock / Timing.

For the RX 480, try 1000mV at 1250MHz ... if that works, then increase the Clock Frequency by 250MHz steps; DO NOT touch the mV setting but keep Automatic Disabled.

This will increase the usable lifespan of the Card, but ideally you will want to return it to have it either Refurbished or Replaced.

An RX 480 should still be well within it's Warranty Period, so be sure to contact the AIB OEM (MSI / ASUS / Gigabyte / Sapphire / etc. whoever it's by) to schedule a Repair / Replacement.

It happens from time-to-time that there is a duff DIMM that cracks under average-to-heavy usage, doesn't even need to be OC for this to occur.

Strictly speaking if it's only a couple of Artefacts, then really you're probably talking about a single latch that's broken causing minor corruption.

Based on the Screenshot; yeah yours is a tad more advanced and could lead to a total failure of a Memory DIMM, which would essentially brick the entire card.

Hopefully the issue is the first one... if not; yeah you're definitely going to have to send it back and get a replacement / repair.