2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 3:03 PM by ray_m

Should I plug my monitor to my motherboard or my GPU?

raziel1641

So I recently asked about dual graphics and whether I should go for it or not has been answered! Thank you, community.

However, what wasn't answered was whether it was more beneficial to plug the monitor to my motherboard or my GPU.

I have an AMD A10-7860k APU processor, and just installed a Radeon R7 240 GPU.

However, the FAQ for dual graphics suggests that the hdmi cable for the monitor should be plugged into the motherboard if the internal gpu was better than the discrete card, and that it should be plugged into the GPU if the GPU was better.

But I have -no- idea of which one is better.

Another issue is that I tried to connect it to the motherboard first, but the screen remained black until I plugged it to the GPU, so if the answer is 'plug it to the motherboard to use the integrated graphics', then I'd need some help in configuring that.

All in all: AMD A10-7860k APU processor dual graphics with Radeon R7 240 GPU: Plug monitor into motherboard or GPU for better performance?

• Re: Should I plug my monitor to my motherboard or my GPU?
          jargon

Plug it into your motherboard. The R7 240 offers less features, and is less capable than your APU graphics. The only advantage that it offers are the additional display ports.

To elaborate, someone on this forum had a similar question, and received a pretty good reply. Going off of that, your 7860k has 512 graphics cores running at 757Mhz, compared to the 240's 320 graphics cores running at 730-780Mhz. Your 240 may handicap the performance of your APU.

If you still want to go ahead with dual graphics, then boot up your system with the display connected to the discrete GPU, and in your motherboard BIOS, under 'Peripherals' or something like that, there should be an option to change the graphics adapter or output. You'll find an option that combines the motherboard apu and PCIe discrete graphics together. Select that then reboot. You should be able to get graphics output from the motherboard after that.

• Re: Should I plug my monitor to my motherboard or my GPU?
            ray_m

MODERATOR NOTE:  I am glad to see you have resolved your issue. To help keep this post on topic and help other with a similar issue, I am locking this thread.