6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2017 9:11 AM by linksy

AMD A10-7860K - THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER, Win 10

mlacentra

The Problem:

On one monitor I have a game running (happens to all games I've played), and on the other I have a web browser running (mostly whenever a flash application is involved). Randomly I get a BSOD saying THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER with or without a _M at the end. This has been a problem since i built this PC, and I've always figured Its a fault of my own so I've been trying to figure it out.

Drivers are up to date, or so they say, more on this later on in the post.

Here's the crash analysis using WhoCrashed and four of my most recent bluescreen dumps:

*( DxDiag attached, along with a screenshot of the DISM and SFC scans. )

System Information

Computer name: DESKTOP-PSVTCCP
      Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 15063
      Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
      Hardware: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., F2A68HM-H
      CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G AMD586, level: 21
      4 logical processors, active mask: 15
      RAM: 16,050,786,304 bytes total

PSU: EVGA 700watt

*( No videocard, I use intergrated graphics through the APU. Windows is up to date as of the time of this post. )

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 8/4/2017 2:54:45 PM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\080417-5500-01.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x35FFB)
      Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFD4066C2F5080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
      Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
      file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
      product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
      company: Microsoft Corporation
      description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
      Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 8/4/2017 2:54:45 PM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x59EA0)
      Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFD4066C2F5080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
      Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
      file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0316467.inf_amd64_3d8fbd78102e53d7\atikmdag.sys
      product: ATI Radeon Family
      company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
      description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
      Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
      Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Fri 8/4/2017 6:23:35 AM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\080417-5593-01.dmp
      Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFF898888B13080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
      The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 8/1/2017 3:14:23 AM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\080117-8640-01.dmp
      Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFF83809B2C47C0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

*( From the looks of things, there might be an issue with Win10 and AMD kernel drivers i have? )

Display and Processor Drivers

Now I've run the AMD Driver Autodetect when i first started having this problem, and thought that it had fixed the issue. But that didn't last very long.

Looking at the display and processor drivers through Device Manager, I've noticed that my Display drivers were up to date from when i ran the AMD Driver Autodetect program. But my processor's drivers didn't change and dates back to 2009. Since my processor is also my GPU, figured this might also be part of the problem? If not, disregard.

>Display Driver (Up to date)

DisplayDriver.png

>Processor Driver

ProcessorDriver.png

Is this the latest driver version for this processor? I've tried googling around for it, but everything keeps pointing me back to downloading drivers for Display adapters, not the processor. If there's a more recent version of this driver, can someone point me to it? Id greatly appreciate it!

Seeing how so many people keep having this problem with AMD products, maybe the information I've provided can help pinpoint the problem.

Kinda sounds like software issues between AMD and Windows.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.