4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2017 1:25 PM by black_zion

eTailers taking steps to limit Vega availibility to miners

black_zion

Yup, again the mining craze, and (so far unsubstantiated but very believable) rumors that AMD’s Radeon RX Vega 64 Might Be The Ultimate Ethereum Mining Card, Could Top 100 MH/s | HotHardware  is drawing some places to take steps to prevent their stock from selling out too quickly. IF it's true that Vega will mine like this, I better hope that my Fury Nano doesn't die on me, as it will be a -long- time before stocks are able to top demand, especially as Samsung is the only high volume manufacturer of HBM2 currently, SK Hynix isn't up to snuff SK Hynix: Customers Willing to Pay 2.5 Times More for HBM2 Memory

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-vega-mining-performance 

Update August 4, 2017: OverclockersUK have suggested they will probably use a voucher code system for the sales of their AMD Vega graphics cards, as well as a one piece per customer limit.

We spoke to Overclockers' Gibbo today and he explained that the plan they're expecting to put into place, for the August 14 launch of the AMD RX Vega GPUs, will consist of an artificially high £1,000+ price tag, with a voucher code they're only posting on their gamers' forum to halve the price.

Those extra hoops for customers to jump through, combined with the one card per person limit, ought to ensure anyone looking to snaffle all the Vega GPUs for mining will look elsewhere. That will at least mean gamers in the UK will have somewhere to buy themselves one of AMD's latest high-end GPUs.