9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 8:49 PM by ajlueke

Vega Price Gouging

rms

I'm sorry, but I have to rage in full 3D about the trump levels of price gouging surrounding Vega's release.

AMD is forcing highend Vega vidcard buyers to buy a 'bundle' at a $100 premium with included $200 discount vouchers for a certain monitor + mobo/cpu. Newegg responds by raising the price of the monitor by $200. that identical monitor was $699 preorder, then went briefly on sale for $575, all within the last couple months, now it's $900.

I am freaking livid about this. I'm being punished by both AMD and it's partners for being a launch buyer of Ryzen, and for wanting to get a launch Vega. You screwed up, AMD. I'm not buying *any* Vega at launch.

rms

• Re: Vega Price Gouging
          whiskey-foxtrot

Where does it say that AMD is forcing anyone?

From https://gaming.radeon.com/en-us/rx-vega-radeon-packs/ :

"If you’re already a proud AMD Ryzen or Radeon FreeSync monitor owner, you can buy a Radeon RX Vega 56 or Radeon RX Vega 64 air cooled edition  at standalone prices of $399 and $499 SEP USD respectively."

AMD doesn't force anyone to buy anything; nor does AMD control vendor pricing above MSRP. And the monitor in question, the lowest it has been was $791 on July 14 2017.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              zealotki11er

You know the Air Cooled version will not be sufficient. You want the Liquid Cooled card if you want to get Vega 64. Trust me its worth $100 but not $200.

kroms

"If you’re already a proud AMD Ryzen or Radeon FreeSync monitor owner, you can buy a Radeon RX Vega 56 or Radeon RX Vega 64 air cooled edition  at standalone prices of $399 and $499 SEP USD respectively."

Ya that is no longer correct.    It is more like $499 and $599.

You might want to do some research on that.

Sorry but  AMD will not "  WILL NOT " sell many Vega GPU's this time around.  I am one of those whom has suppported  (ATI) AMD now for decades and this time is the first time that  I can honestly say  they totally missed the reality boat on Performance and Pricing  on its GPUs.   There is no way to sugar coat this.  Nvidia's 1080 and 1080ti offer a far far better value over Vega vs Price ,Performance,and efficiency.

I was hoping that #399 and #499 were in infact true and pickup 2 Vega Gpus but now at this inflated price  it is no longer viable over getting a 1080ti or 1080.

Sorry, but AMD  dropped the ball on this one BIG Time.

VideoCardz  has it right on the Money. https://videocardz.com/blog/all-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-sins

"

AMD delayed Vega to increase launch volume?

Chris Hook said in an interview:

“Part of the reason it’s taken us a little longer to launch Vega – and I’ll be honest about that – is that we wanted to make sure we were launching with good volume. (…) Obviously we’ve got to compensate for things like coin-miners, they’re going to want to get their hands on these. We believe we’re launching with a volume that will ensure that gamers can get their hands on them, and that’s what’s important to us.”

In reality, there are countries where Vega wasn’t even available at launch. The stocks are already gone and the only ones left are for an increased price.

The point is, it is quite normal for GPU to be available in low quantity at launch, but saying that Vega was delayed to increase it, is slightly misleading. "

xobeloot

"Ya that is no longer correct.    It is more like $499 and $599. You might want to do some research on that."

Kroms,

This thread has been going on for weeks now.  Please do not come in telling US to do our research on information that was just released (but not yet confirmed, nor denied by AMD) within roughly the past 48 hours.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  xobeloot

I own Ryzen already, so I will be purchasing the non-package card (if I can get one before they sell out).

I am considering buying the package, though, since my monitor is team green.  At the same time, I dont want to take one of the fancy cards since I already have a waterblock ordered.

ajlueke

There may be more price gouging on the way.

AMD Radeon RX Vega at Ethereum-Mining supposedly the fastest GPU with hash rates of 70 to 100 MH/s - The Bitcoin News - …

I already own a freesync monitor I am happy with, but I am still potentially considering the bundle.  I do have some interest in playing Prey and Wolfenstein, so the bundle would still save me $20.