14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 3:50 PM by iknowyounaut

RX480 random black screen

nyihtway

seems like this issue is pretty hot but nobody can pinpoint the culprit yet. I've also been plagued with this issue since I bought my XFX RX480 GTR SwapFan Black Edition. let me start with my system specs.

Radeon Software Version - 17.7.1

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive

Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1338 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB DDR3 1600Mhz

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Display - Samsung 24" LS24E390HL display (connected via HDMI)

PSU - KCAS 80+ Bronze 700watt PSU

Operating system - Windows 10 pro 64bits

Just like every one, my monitor would go blank (but sound on-going) and my system would freeze randomly and all i can do is to press the reset button. I've used this system with an Asus Nvidia GTX760 card before without any issues. even now, if i put back the card again, the issue won't appear. it make me set the focus on the RX480. I'd be very glad if anyone can help me with the issue.

• Re: RX480 random black screen
          iknowyounaut

I am so desperate to figure out the cause of this. I even got a RMA for my card and the new one they sent me still has the issues. Ive tried undervolting, changing the powerlimit, and just about everything recommended to me. To no avail. Its rather pathetic that this card has this many issues. I am positive I will never buy an AMD card again. This is infuriating....

I've noticed my card is going over 150w power limit constantly. Im almost certain that this is a power issue. Wasn't this suppose to be fixed? -f'ing pissed.

iknowyounaut

nyihtway

Hey, so don't update to driver 17.7.2. It will break the solution I believe I've come to fix this problem. I have spent unrelenting months learning the behavior of the RX480 and logging sensors. I found that the power usage has still not been fix with this card, kinda. I've never seen a card that behaves so weirdly. So here is my most recommended fix.

- It has everything to do with the 150w board power limit. Which the RX480 exceeds with normal usage. Peaking near 200w! Getting below 150w has been my primary task lately, which for some reason was harder than you'd think.

- The power slider at 0% doesn't prevent this ridiculous amount  power draw. Digging around forums, I learned about undervolting the RX480. And why you should do it. And YES you need to do it.

So what I did exactly:

Step 1: I uninstalled my driver with DDU make sure you have 17.7.1* (2 breaks 3rd party oc software atm). Go into safe mode and uninstall the driver, then after the restart install 17.7.1.

Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.7.2 Released ! | Wagnardsoft

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.1 Release Notes

Step 2: Important! Now click the 17.7.1 Driver you downloaded prior, Then You need to choose "Custom Install". From there, Uncheck "Radeon Settings" We need to give up the settings and Wattman. As I found it causes issues with the card and other OC software we should use. I found that games actually look and run better as intended and any settings we need to change we can do within game and or game files. Once installed proceed to step 3.

Step 3: So I found to be most stable using  Sapphire Trixx OC Software. So lets go ahead and download that.

Request Rejected

Step 4: Set up your profile and make sure to use a fan setting that keeps your card cool. What stabilizes the card is what I did here:

1. Undervolt your card to -100mV

2. Set Powerlimit to +50 (So not to throttle the card)

I recommend you use GPU-Z and log your sensors to see what your card is doing while under load (playing a game) then periodically check the log and make sure your power draw does not exceed 150w. This is what fix my black screen crashing. I have spent such a tedious amount of time diagnosing this issue and for the past couple days I knew I've been getting close to understanding what was happening. So I really hopes this works for you, and for everyone having issues. I will show you my settings, and my log while playing pubg. Please ask questions to know more! I hope this pays off!

gpuzlog.PNG

As you can see, My "Power Draw" is staying below 150w. The card is staying much cooler than before as well. You can also note that my clock is stable and everything checks out.

yep.PNG

Note* The shown memory clock is the "Effective Memory Clock" which translate to a normal 2000Mhz

nyihtway

hey, thanks for your effort and answer. I'll definitely try it out.

iknowyounaut

No problem try it out, unfortunately It didn't stay like this the behavior of the card went weird again the next day, it's weird how one day I'll have something that works great, then out of nowhere it goes right back to the crashing. This has always been like this.

Sent from my iPhone

nyihtway

the problem changed its behavior after applying the settings you've mentioned. It won't go black during gameplay or system use. But for 2 consecutive nights, it never wake up after going to sleep mode. I have to hard-reset again each time.

But for now I'm getting new PC (but have to re-use that graphic card). Let's see how after upgrading all the hardware

iknowyounaut

Glad to hear, Ive even tried 8pin to 62. But the 6pin to 62 has worked the best. I found that a custom bios is helping. I've changed powertune settings: hotspot temp, and shutoff temp. Now I thought shutoff temp would turn the whole system off but I think it actually causes the grey screen(which is actually a bsod) I found out that it goes grey because the rest of the system, ram and CPU don't know what to do and it somehow turns it grey. Over the error screen. I'll link you to this forum I found talking about this it's offers a rather different approach in still tinkering with.

Anyways back on track, the Hotspot Temp seems to shut off my full system, to prevent damage, which I somehow prefer over the hard crash. If the hotspot is a lower temp than the shutdown temp It'll shut off my system. If it's vice-versa the grey screen comes black. At the same temp, it does both. Now it seems that maybe other parts of the card get hotter than the rest, that why are temps are normal around 70. But have this issue. Like I said I'm still learning and experimenting with it.

NOTE: that's modifying your bios/ opening up your card voids your warranty. (I also changed my thermal paste to see if it helped.)

Sent from my iPhone

iknowyounaut

Hey, what cable do you use? 6 to 6+2?

nyihtway

I've fully upgraded my PC (with the same graphic card) to Ryzen5 1600 with B350 chipset. So far, the system is stable and no more black screen hanging issues. Let's wait and see for few more days.

iknowyounaut

Hey man! I just came back from a weekend away and was able to solve my issue shortly after coming home. Gathering from everything I knew about the RX580, and running out of ideas and options. I decided to see what happens if I flash my RX480 into a RX580. Well there is not much to say other than it worked! No tweaks no changes needed. Plus, I get a huge gain in performance! It runs smooth, and the sensors report a much more predictable power draw and performance. It's amazing and I can't wait  flash the OC version next, and try some edits to increase perform even even further! My rainy cloud has lifted! I suggest you give I to an try even if you fixed the problem with your new system the gain is huge for such a small change. I gained 20fps.

nyihtway

are  u doing it to the Reference card version? Mine is XFX GTR. I think they might not be able to flash with bios from different makers.

iknowyounaut

People are doing it for different makers. Take a look online. I have the sapphire nitro+ oc rx480 8gb. And flashed to the sapphire rx580 limited edition version. I tried the oc bios but it was too much for my card and crashed games. However maybe with some modding I can get there. Right now I'm using the 1411Mhz version. Which is still higher than my 480s oc of 1342mhz. No problems at all.

Try to find your equivalent maker for the 580 on Tech power up. But watch and read how to do it first. To see what's best for you.

Sent from my iPhone