9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 11:24 AM by ajlueke

Can I get credit for Vega bundle with previously purchased Ryzen 7?

sanosuke001

I pre-ordered a Ryzen 7 1800X and ASUS Crossfire VI motherboard and now I have to pay $100 extra to get the liquid cooled Vega 64? AMD, please do something about this; I'd very much like to get a new GPU but you're basically telling someone who wants to support you that they don't matter.

• Re: Can I get credit for Vega bundle with previously purchased Ryzen 7?
          ajlueke

As with anything else, early adopters usually get the shaft.  AMD is trying to woo consumers who are on the fence with a new build.  Ryzen is already really compelling versus Intel, but slash off another $100 and then $200 off a large freesync monitor and you have a excellent bargain. 

None of this benefits you if you're and established AMD customer however.  You just get the privilege of paying for extras you don't want or need.  You can always pick up the regular edition card or wait for the Nano/Pro Duo, but it looks like the limited editions derived their names because they are limited to bundles only.

sanosuke001

Yeah, I understand but they aren't selling the Liquid cooled version outside of a bundle where the others they are. If they were I'd just get one of those. It's a bit of a kick in the throat for someone who supports them by being an early adopter. If they want to stop crypto miners from grabbing them all (thanks, AMD, really!) then just ask for proof of previous purchase for the standalone limited editions or something :/

black_zion

Even if it were possible, the Crosshair VI is not eligible, only the Crosshair VI Extreme which is $100 more than the Crossfire VI Hero and will not be available until RX Vega launches.

https://gaming.radeon.com/en-us/rxvega/

sanosuke001

Yeah so they're telling me that next time they launch something to wait a while because they're going to basically slash $300 off a new build if I do but then if I do their new product launch dies a horrible death. gg AMD

black_zion

Um, they're slashing $100 off a motherboard with a $100 price premium, and $200 off a $900 monitor, so yes you can wait if you want to spend $2000 on 4 components.

treeoflife

Just so you know I have already spent $1400~ on the new system and indeed it does seem a bit stupid to screw over the customers. I am not very happy about this especially since I was thinking of buying vega.

Screenshot from 2017-08-01 00-04-01.png

ray_m

These promo's are provided by the AIB's involved, there is nothing AMD can do.

black_zion

Hmm, let's compare:

Total BEFORE TAX $1,376.88, x7% tax = $1473.26, which is £1113.42. I had to buy the Crosshair VI as I got sick of the X370's bugs. And this is just what I spent on upgrading my 8370 system to an 1800X setup, so that doesn't include my H105 cooler or IC Diamond TIM, so let's leave bills out of this.

The point is, if you bought a Vega bundle, you would get a $100 discount on a motherboard which is ~$80 more expensive than the one you bought ($349 vs $269), a +$100 price increase on Vega 64 Liquid ($699 vs $599), a $0 discount on the CPU, and the ability to save $200 off a $900 monitor. You are not getting bent over the barrel at all if you do the math, you're actually paying ~$80 MORE if you don't buy that junk Sansung monitor, and come out -a lot- farther ahead if you buy the Vega 64 Liquid card alone, a less expensive Crosshair VI Hero, and a much less expensive UHD Freesync monitor, as those run $300 less than the list price for that Samsung.

ajlueke

Part of that argument assumes you are going to buy the ASUS Extreme motherboard.  The MSI XPower Titanium and the Gigabyte GA-X370 Gaming K7 can also be purchased as part of the bundle.  So essentially you are getting $100 off the top of the line X370 motherboard from each of the three major vendors. 

The XPower Titanium is currently selling for $249 at newegg, and I have seen similar deals at microcenter.  So currently with a bundle that board would be $150 below the launch price of $299.  That already pays for the bundle price increase of the liquid limited edition.

Also if you plan on getting either Prey or the new Wolfenstein, they would be free with the bundle as well.  So it all depends on the particular user.  Even if you already have a Ryzen system and no interest in the monitor, if you are planning on getting Wolfenstein and Prey, you would save $120 in the bundle, which stills puts you $20 ahead if you factor in the $100.

If you don't want any of that stuff, you can just get the plain old factory card with no bundle.  Or wait a few more weeks and see what cards the third party vendors put out.